Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Vodafone broadband shocker  (Read 1240 times)

worsie

Vodafone broadband shocker
« on: July 16, 2007, 04:51:40 am »
Hey guys, early warning

When I arrived I bought a vodafone prepayed sim card for about $30 and stuck it into my mobile. I often make use of my phone as a modem when on the go. I have been doing this for the past week.

Well, I discovered today that the rates, per MB are NZ$10.  >:( :( :tickedoff: In SA its R2 per MB, which I thought was expensive.

So my advise, if you need internet do not use your mobile plugged into your notebook.

The apartments where I am staying offer wirelss lan for about $50 per week, I have gone this route now!!!

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
Re: Vodafone broadband shocker
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:21:47 am »
Wow that's crazy ! You must be on the Casual plan ? For $40 you can get 200mb or $60 for 1gb.

Here's the Vodafone plans.

Although, the $50 a week for where you are staying is OK, if there's no cap ?

It sure is expensive though, and here I thought SA was a ripoff !  :thumbdown: :uglystupid2:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:21:47 am »

worsie

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 06:30:27 am »
Well I am on the prepaid plan. Cannot go onto anything else until my visa comes through. Thanks for the plans.

Yea, I also thought SA was a ripoff, but I will probably be getting a broadband connection through telecom one i move into a place. Because those prices are really cheap compared to SA.

I have also found the vodafone call prices expensive compared to SA. However, even on prepaid you can pay $6 per month, and this will give you a bestmate option where you can call and sms a friend as much as you like for free. This will be handy for me when my wife arrives and she gets her phone.

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:33:57 am »
Yeah the DSL and Cable internet options are much cheaper.  O0

So you cannot get a contract option until you are on a work permit ? I suppose that makes sense, as they can't give out contracts to "visitors".

worsie

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 07:27:55 am »
Yea I went into the Vodafone shop, the lady asked me what sort of Visa i am on. I told her that I will only be getting my 3 year working visa in about a week. You need to go onto a minimum of a year contract it seems, i doubt they will give it to you on a tourist visa.