Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Another one from gauteng  (Read 2970 times)

Offline elzanne

Re: Another one from gauteng
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 06:32:36 pm »
Good day

We are from Gauteng as well and are starting the process of imigration very soon.  Can you please help us.  We would like to know how much more or less a container cost.  Does the process go speedely to get to nz or not really.  We would like to come in December or maybe sooner but i dont know if things goes that fast.  Is it the best to go through an agent.  We are not sure where to settle yet any suggestions would be very helpfull.  My husband is an Electrician where would the best place for him be to find work quickly.

I would appreciate if you can give us some tips it will help alot.

Regards

Elzanne

Offline chantel

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 09:57:30 am »
Mel; the first month was tough. Rohan acted out .. he just wanted his Grandpa.Now they are both dead happy!!! They love it here. We take them to the beaches and parks; they go kayaking with Riaan..and they love all the outdoors activities,  its amasing how they adjusted. BOth are picking up on the English extremely fast and LOVE creche

ALso  there are always events organised all over Auckland (teddy bears picnic; fire works shows... you never have to wonder what to do with the kids)

Of course I think skype helps cause he can talk to Grandpa when he wants ! but they are well settled

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 09:57:30 am »

Offline chantel

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 10:03:07 am »
Elzanne ; if you look around the site you will see there are quite extensive threads covering most of your questions. For example ; people pasted their container quotes so you dont get just one price but a few. Also the "speedely " depends on what route you take. Are you guys planning on just going and then looking for work; or first getting permanent residency etc... The permanent residency can be quite some time; ours took a year.. and its also dependant on when they do interviews in SA etc

I recommend to everyone  NOT to use an agent; theres enough information on here; and enough people to help you through the process; we used an agent ; and it was a waste of money I did all the work myself; and 99% of the stuff I asked them they didnt know anyway I had to do the research myself .. If you have an odd case it might be necessary.. but if you meet the points requirements you can easily do it yourself

Electricians are in high demand; but I will be the wrong person to ask of the best area; maybee there is someone on here that can help with that !

good luck on the exciting road ahead of you !!!

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 10:42:20 pm »
Chantel's advice is spot on. I would guess that electricians are sought after anywhere you choose to live. The same would go for plumbers and motor mechanics.

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 08:17:13 am »
A helpful site for the motor industry is www.automotiveemployment.co.nz, speak to Russel. O0

Offline jeannel

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 12:23:05 am »
 :'( :-[
Hi everybody
My name is Jean, and I am feeling very lost and lonely here in Chch.  It seems like I just cannot find any other South Africans around.

We arrived here on 22 Feb 2007 and my husband got his job within the first week after we arrived.  He is working at ADT.

The problem is that I just cannot find a job.  I am a very experienced General Office Administrator and very computer litterate, but I do not have a work permit.  The reason for that is that we do not have the money for my husband to go for his medicals so that he an get a work permit for longer than 6 months.  Therefore I cannot get an open work permit, or a job offer.  Can anybody help PLEASE.

Otherwise it seems like we are going to end up breaking up, and I will end up having to go back to SA. :'( :'(

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 12:33:15 am »
Hi jeannel, I replied with a long post, but it never appeared on here? Maybe I pressed the wrong button?? :idiot2:

Anyway, I have sent you a PM.

I totally understand how you feel, as hubby and I went trough hell when we moved to the UK, luckily for us, it has been a lot easier in NZ!

I live in Chch now, so read my PM and maybe we could meet up? O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 12:33:15 am »

Offline jeannel

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 12:47:51 am »
Thank you so much.

To be VERY honest, I REALLY do Not want to go back to SA.  And the boys are being so strong and brave, but I know they are going through absolute HELL.  We used to be a very lose little family, playing computer games together over weekends and sometimes until 3-4 in the morning.  We just cannot wait to be together again.

The problem is just that at this point it seems like it's not going to happen.  We wanted to get the boys over here within this year still, but if I cannot find a job, that cannot happen. 

I love the safety of NZ and I know it will be much better for the boys.  Somehow I just HAVE to do SOMETHING!

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 04:45:09 am »
Jeannel, are your boys still in SA then?  How old are they?
I cannot help in any practical way right now - I think Linda (Happy Expat) may be of more help. 
But I will certainly pray that something comes up for you real soon!  I sure don't want to see your marriage break up because of this!!  :'(
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 04:52:55 am »
Ah, I just read the fuller story on your other thread.  And have replied there...
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen