Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Migrating from SA to NZ (Do you regret it)  (Read 14449 times)

Offline itbjcm

Re: Migrating from SA to NZ (Do you regret it)
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 02:17:38 am »
Right on, nearlythere.  My son was very unhappy in school back in SA.  He cried himself to sleep every night.  He is now in a wonderful school.  It is a very informal school yet their children are all happy, fulfilled human beings, they even do actual schoolwork there...
If SA school are so wonderful then I wonder why it is that SA don't even feature on the list of countries that do the best in literacy, maths and science but NZ does?
No way I regret our move.

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 08:24:45 am »
IM, I am sorry to hear that is your experience.

My experience has been the complete opposite. As a teacher I think the NZ system is far superior as this is proved in that NZ is doing well in international stats on literacy, science and maths. SA is about stone last!

Maybe you should try a good decile 10 state school.

Yes, the pace of life is slow. NZ is behind SA in many ways. We dont have cheap black labour here to build fancy shopping malls and huge highways. But its safe. I would rather die of boredom (which I am not) than be raped and murdered in SA......exciting I know, but not for me.

The kids at my school are as repectful as the state school I taught at in JHB.

But I suppose we all see it differently. I love it here. I love Auckland particularly. I would struggle to live in a small NZ town tho.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 08:24:45 am »

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008, 09:30:11 am »
only regret i have is that SA turned  out the way it did.. i would want to be there if it was safe... but i do not regret leaving it for a safer place like new zealand.

i had 1 in 4 chances of being killed before i retire.. i dont like the odds.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:36:37 am by ronaldd »
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008, 11:50:23 am »
Oh me Gosh..... I would give anything for a quieter laid back lifestyle.  Not sure where you lived, IM, but Durban is not the same as it was 10 years.  I used to love Durban, but now I don't!!  It is filthy and getting more squalid by the day , potholed with broken robots everywhere, full of terrible violent highjackings, rapes and murders and from what I hear from folks with kids, the schools are a total mess.  I don't want this type of life - what is the use of living here when you can't do anything, go out anywhere, without the fear of being a victim of crime.  No thank you!!

In any case, I don't need bright lights - I long for a peaceful and quieter lifestyle.  I long to be able to walk on the beach and walk in the outdoors and be safe.

But, it is different strokes for different folks ....  So I hope IM can work through things.

Offline Mongrel Mobster

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2008, 11:58:41 am »
I have no choice but to agree with my wife (Jannee) above! If I don't I will be in the dog box.

But jokes aside I can't wait to move to NZ. It is getting closer by the day.
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kind regards,

Edwin

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2008, 06:54:24 pm »
Thursday was such a warm and sunny day (19C) that after school I rushed home changed and headed for the beach. There were kids playing and people walking dogs and it was wonderful to be so safe. I live and work on the Shore and I love the lifestyle. I used to love the mad rush of Joburg but I am so happy here.

here are my pics from my beach walk.

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=50670&l=86c04&id=618731204

Offline Amber

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2008, 07:05:31 am »
We have also only been here a short while and I don't regret the move.  I do miss certain things but I enjoy finding myself agin, which I have time to do.  My Father in law used to call me Mrs Murry - Always in a hurry but now I can relax, I am a nicer person to be around and yes it does feel like we have gone back in time but for me it is in a good way.
Amber
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2008, 07:05:31 am »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2008, 07:42:16 am »
I lived in Durban and JHB and now live in a small town in NZ and absolutely love it.  My kids have so much freedom and are both very happy at school. They went to both private and government schools in SA and I can find no fault with the schools here.  Life is what you make it and we are so grateful to live in a beautiful peaceful country with so much to do outside our back door.

greenfamily

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2008, 08:28:20 pm »
Greetings All,
It has been ages since i was last on the site the reasons thereofore will soon become apparent.
Anyway I was cleaning up my favourites when i opened the site and saw this topic was active- it is not usally as is evident.
So let me spit it out we have returned to SA!!!
I thought it may be useful or at least entertaining to hear why we have returned.
Let me say at the outset I have not and do not intend to bad mouth NZ- it has many virtues and gave me a chance.I can add I too was not assertevely or publicly negative about SA either before we left. we have also not come back because everything is perfect here- we all no the issues.
However  life is not simple and circumstances vary and different people do opposites things and both can be happy or unhappy for that matter.
Herewith what i wrote to my friends - it is rather terse- when we made the decision to come back.
Hope all whatever you do will find contentment:

let me spit it out: we are heading back home.

I know a reasonable comment is we have only been around 12 weeks and it is too early to know – and it certainly is valid to a point.

The reasons/justifications are ;( Rambled but interrelated)

We are finding it soo expensive we have become miserable.

My salary- which I gather is not bad  by NZ stds– is half of what I earned in buying power

The cost of living is at least double for most things.

The exchange rate is hovering at 6 rand to the dollar so capital base is eroded.

My work is – and the projections demeaning

I just don’t have the oomph to tackle the onerous  conversion exams.

I am 51- have left it too late.

We have no children to provide a future for

Having had our dog in quarantine has been so awful

We struggled to get a rental and eventually settled on a filthy place at the price of a palace ensovoorts.

Despite having done extensive homework it is somehow different living the theory.

I have been so very homesick. XXXXX has literally been sick

We were slow in maing the decision to come and not over enthused

And two weeks ago I got an offer to join ---GOOD JOB OFFER

Needless to say as soon as I agreed we started having second thoughts because NZ has much to offer- it is so civilized- and as we know there are major issues in SA.

So I resigned a week after starting and we are doing a quick trip round the south island bdfore we hed home.

WE HAVE BEEN BACK A MONTH AND ARE CONFIDANT FOR US WE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION AT THIS POINT IN OUR LIFE.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2008, 09:47:44 pm »
Welcome to the family IM :clap:

Thanks for all the views, it is interesting to read all the differing views, including those that have returned. It just re-itterates what we have been saying all along - immigration is not for everyone  O0

Offline johanpet1

• Amanzimtoti (SA)
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2008, 10:11:55 pm »
greenfamily, We wish you best of luck in your decision and we hope things work out for you.

Everyone knows what they want and should make the best of it.

:gl: O0

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2008, 11:19:37 pm »
Sorry to hear Greenfamily, but  :gl: with your decision. Like an old friend of mine used to say: "Man live by choice only". I hope yours work out for the best. Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2008, 11:19:37 pm »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2008, 11:24:45 pm »
Good Luck Green family.  There is nothing wrong with your decision and I hope you can pick up easily where you left off.  At least you had an adventure and got to experience a different life for a while.

Offline ScillaGP

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2008, 07:54:23 pm »
Oh for the laid back,30 years behind........WHAT BLISS!!!!!

Offline Durbschick1

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2008, 11:06:44 pm »
Well, I must admit this past weekend was definitely my lowest point since moving here. Don't get me wrong I love NZ and I still feel we made the right decision... but man I missed home this weekend... :(

We celebrated our first birthday here, by daughter turns 9 today and we had a bit of a party for her on Saturday. I felt sad for so many reasons... I could not 'spoil' her as much as I used to in SA cause I'm not working yet... We had no other family around to make it special for her. She had a lovely day nonetheless, we has some SA friends around, and she had a ball. I'm the one that was sad though cause it just brought back so many memories of previous birthdays. All the family etc.......

I love NZ,  :smitten: but it is still early days. I think SA will remain 'home' for me in my heart for a long time. I love the laid back lifestyle... but I miss the ease of shopping in SA (if you are lucky enough to not get mugged!)