Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Converting your drivers license  (Read 19877 times)

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
Converting your drivers license
« on: August 04, 2007, 06:46:14 am »
Hi. Just thought I'd let you know how easy it is to convert your drivers license here.

We just walked in at the AA (thanks for the help Linda), fill in the form, pay the money, take your photo and give digital signature, go through for test. 10 minutes later.... kapow.. temp license... 1 week later... license in post box. (Valid for 10 years). O0

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 06:57:53 am »
Thanks for the info Eileen, I was going to ask about it on the forum.

Is there a book you can buy to go over the rules etc. ?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 06:57:53 am »

worsie

Re: Converting your drivers license
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 08:06:54 am »
I thought u had to rewrite?

what is the test that you say you have to go through? Is it just a little driving test or is it theory?

tandl

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 06:54:18 am »
Thanks MJ.  I have just done a quick test and realise that I will most definitely have to do some studying before I write the real thing!!!

:heeha:

worsie

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 07:08:14 am »
Don't worry, i failed too.

I think its not a case of not knowing your stuff but more of a case of there bloody trick questions. Sometimes more than one is right, it seems you have to pick the one that is the most right.

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 07:17:35 am »
I got 2 wrong in the real test. Both trick questions I thought but still passed.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 07:17:35 am »

tandl

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 07:39:21 am »
Well its really great to have that site to do the online tests on.  DH was saying lastnight that before we leave SA, we should start "practising" the right turn rule - not actually doing it but just saying who would have the right of way in NZ in any given scenario. 

Right now I would settle for him studying the freeking INTERVIEW questions instead!!  ::)

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 08:09:34 am »
I still get confused in out of the ordinary situations and dont know if I have right of way or not so I just wait and see. If they stop for me I go. It feels very unnatural and it will take a while longer to get used to it.

worsie

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 08:18:26 am »
I forget often, just today I has some woman hooting at me because i did not give her way. Only afterwards did I remember I was suppose to let her go. Its really a silly rule.

I am driving an automatic now too, something I am not used to. So that is confusing enough for me. There are so many traffic circles around here which is good, because that helps. If you treat every intersection, and give way to cars on your right, like a traffic circle you cannot go wrong.

Badprop

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 08:39:56 am »
Can see the headlines in the Harold in a years time.

"Due to Saffers influx and the dangerous situation caused by the right of way rule it has now been abolished.  Traffic jams has been at a all time high and insurance companies has been inundated with claims from New Zealanders.  Further more the speed limit has been increased to 120 km per hour as no one is keeping to the limits and the cops are tired of chasing after these speed devils. 

Spur has opened two branches in Auckland and has indicated that they will open another in CC due to one persons demand and picketing.  Tennis biscuits and Mrs. Balls has been imported previously but a factory has been started in the south of Aucland due to threat of strikes from the ever increasing Saffers.  On a more positive note the economy has boomed with Land drover and other 4 x 4 sales up by 45%.  This has also prompted the Minister to expedite the change to the right of way rule. "     

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 04:45:24 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 04:45:24 pm »

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 08:57:10 am »
 ;D ;D

I will come help picket for the SPUR. Perhaps we can ToiToi.......... :-\

Or just start our own SPUR....need a new name though  :P

worsie

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 09:00:41 am »
No keep it called the spur. That way all the south africans will know what it is

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 09:06:50 am »
Spur is  :censored:

I vote for Dros  :clap: