Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Converting your drivers license  (Read 19876 times)

worsie

Re: Converting your drivers license
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 09:10:18 am »
How do they say it in Africans?

Droes

Hey if you have kids, Spur is definitely the place, jumping castles, toys to keep the kids busy. I still have to find a restaurant here in Wellington that matches the Spur. I think anybody that opens one here will make a killing

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 09:12:58 am »
Haha yeah, something like that. Dros here in Midrand has pretty good kids entertainment, their own room with TV's and playstations etc.

If you have kids then Spur is great, doesn't make up for the  :censored: food though !  :crazy2:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 09:12:58 am »

worsie

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 09:17:30 am »
Yea, the spur's food is not that good anymore. I remember when the Spur use to be the place to go, and in those days it was a great restaurant.

What ever happened to the casba? think thats how you spell it. They were pretty good.

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 09:23:03 am »
The only one I ever saw was one in Amanzimtoti, not sure if it's the same franchise you talking about, and whether it still exists or not.

What kind of franchises do they have in NZ then that's similiar to Spur / Dros ? Or don't they have at all ?

worsie

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 09:33:19 am »
The only one I ever saw was one in Amanzimtoti, not sure if it's the same franchise you talking about, and whether it still exists or not.

What kind of franchises do they have in NZ then that's similiar to Spur / Dros ? Or don't they have at all ?

To tell you the truth, I am a bit disappointed with the restaurants etc.. Not many franchises, but quiet a few Nandos (my favorite) which is cool. I have been eating there quiet a bit, they just very expensive, $11 for a nandos burger meal. It tastes nearly exactly the same as in SA, only difference is that here they don't give you a portuguese roll, just a plain burger roll.

But, Wellington seems to have some excellent restaurants around. Just not the types we are all used to. The nice thing about SA restaurants is you know what you getting when you go in, ie, the lekker big juicy steak in the dros, always tastes the same, and always keeps you coming back.  Here because there are not many franchises its going to take a while to find the good restaurants, and each one is different. The only place I have seen so far which is suitable for the kids and where many parents take there kids is macdonals. (Now u know why i thought Spur was better). But I have not been looking very hard as my family is not here yet.

worsie

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 09:35:42 am »
Haha yeah, something like that. Dros here in Midrand has pretty good kids entertainment, their own room with TV's and playstations etc.

If you have kids then Spur is great, doesn't make up for the  :censored: food though !  :crazy2:

Hey Rhodan, where abouts in Midrand are you?

I use to work up in broadwalk street, past the macdonals. How is that area these days? I remember the town planers cleared a whole area behind macdonals, built roads, put in street lights etc but it never seemed to take off. Has that area now been developed? Maybe I should go check it out on google earth. Have not been there in a long time, the boulders shopping center took a dive about 7 years ago, whats it like these days?

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 09:44:39 am »
Dros definitely gets my vote. I agree that the Spur has a good kiddies area, but my son is more than satisfied with the games area at Dros and the food keeps us happy so  O0. I had the most gorgeous lamb shank there last week...yummy
"never let the fear of striking out,keep you from playing the game"

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 09:44:39 am »

worsie

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 09:48:15 am »
Well there is definitely no shortage of lamb here in NZ, I wonder why?  :2funny:

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 09:49:58 am »
 ;D

Offline haydent

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 09:51:16 am »
Well i wouldn't mind a huge spur steak right now... ^-^

worsie

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 09:53:58 am »
Tell me about it, Who's next to arrive? Maybe you can bring one over?

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 09:54:14 am »
Hey worsie,

I live on the otherside of Midrand, in Carlswald.

That area you speak about, I used to work there for a bit as well, in an old Didata building. That whole area is now town houses which they are busy finishing off. The rest of the area though is EXTREMELY run down and dangerous, especially going down the hill towards the Boulders from McD's (Church Street), taxi's usually lose their brakes and crash quite often.

The Boulders is a dive, no one goes there, and most of the shops have closed down, the cinema's were closed years ago.

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 09:54:14 am »

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 10:00:40 am »
Hi Worsie

At last we are settling and the holiday'ing is coming to an end .. slowly but surely .. but then again we are in NZ.

Yes spur is something we are missing ... up until now we couldn't find a place close to spur where the kids can go and play and of course the spur steaks ...

should call spur and get a franchise here ... christchurch first ...  >:D

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 10:05:46 am »
hey hey hey

I used to shop at the Boulders!!!!!!! :heeha: :uglystupid2: >:D

And that is one reason I had to get out of South Africa!!! :clap:

If anyone is still thinking they might stay go and visit Boulders.

worsie

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 10:06:30 am »
Yip, I worked in that very building you talking about, 11 Broadwalk, it tuns parallel with church street, the old DD offices. We use to go for walks to the airport.

They did a whole face lift to the boulders a few years back, boulders always had it bad side, the side by the bottle store was always pretty run down. What a pity it has now gotten so bad. We use to often go for work lunches at a steak house in boulders. I think it was saddles, entrance on church street side. Is that still there?

They opened the new road interchange soon after I started working there. Before it was just allendale road.

Man, I even remember going to party at 70's on a thursday night after work. It was great, I was young and had just moved up to Johannesburg. As a PE boy, I was in my element, nice nice clubs, nice shops, nice JHB vibe, I use to love it. Wish it could have stayed like that.