Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Converting your drivers license  (Read 19871 times)

tandl

Re: Converting your drivers license
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 10:09:24 am »
All I wanna say is.... If this isn't  :offtopic: then I dont know what is!  :whistle:

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 10:11:49 am »
The steakhouse has gone, think the "wrong" type of clientele is there now, just KFC and Steers ...

You definately cannot go walking around the Boulders or the area's around it, its far too dangerous.

Worsie, I worked at COSA (was Solit IT previously), which was in the old Didata building. Those buildings are still there, taken over by Umsombumvu Youth Trust fund or something. All around it are the new town houses. Across the road there are lots of run down shops and hawkers, and a huge taxi rank which I think is the main cause of decay around that area.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 10:11:49 am »

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 10:12:35 am »
 ::) :offtopic: :eek: :nono: >:D  :knuppel2:

tandl

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2007, 10:16:44 am »
 ::)

worsie

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 10:17:28 am »
Hi Worsie

At last we are settling and the holiday'ing is coming to an end .. slowly but surely .. but then again we are in NZ.

Yes spur is something we are missing ... up until now we couldn't find a place close to spur where the kids can go and play and of course the spur steaks ...

should call spur and get a franchise here ... christchurch first ...  >:D

Hey Johan, good to hear. I think it takes a while to get settled, I am still far from it. I am actually missing SA a lot, The People, the Cape Town weather and scenery for sure. But most importantly my family.

However, as the days go by I am finding myself enjoying it here more and more. Its different, and its a huge change, i still sometimes think i have bitten off a little bit too much this time to chew. But, its so safe here and my kids are going to have a good future here. Wellington has an excellent public transport system, I can walk down to the train station here and hop on the train into town. Notebook, cellphone wallet and all. And the chances of someone mugging me are like 0%. Still have to get use to using public transport though, I prefer driving but it makes so much more sense to just use the train like everybody else does.

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 10:23:00 am »
Oh yes and the public tiolet in picton that speak to you and play you music ...  :heeha:

worsie

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 10:25:24 am »
Worsie, I worked at COSA (was Solit IT previously), which was in the old Didata building. Those buildings are still there, taken over by Umsombumvu Youth Trust fund or something. All around it are the new town houses. Across the road there are lots of run down shops and hawkers, and a huge taxi rank which I think is the main cause of decay around that area.

Ha, so we worked in the same building, I was there from 1997-2003, we then moved to teh Campus in Bryanston. I left Johannesburg for Cape Town in 2004.

We also did that little bush walk from the office, through the bush to Macdonalds and back.

That building was built in 1997, and we moved into it brand new.

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 10:25:24 am »

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 10:25:48 am »
Johan ! Toilets ?! Now who's going  :offtopic:  >:D :crazy2:

worsie

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007, 10:27:57 am »
 8) Ja, maybe we should have started a new thread....

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2007, 10:40:57 am »
Is there something wrong with me? I do not miss ANYTHING about SA. I dont want to see Nandos or eat there or Spur or anything else South African. I want to forget it exists.

This has been the case from the moment I arrived here 6 months ago??? Help!? :whistle:

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2007, 10:44:13 am »
rotovegas, I think that's perfectly normal, in fact I like your way of thinking, I'll be adopting the same attitude.

Badprop

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2007, 10:48:25 am »
I will have the same attitude once all my family is out of here.  But for selfish reasons I want a Spur.  It's the only place you can eat in peace when the children play. :P

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2007, 10:48:25 am »

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2007, 10:50:49 am »
I keep reminding myself that everyone is different but I simply cannot relate to the "I miss South Africa" brigade. Now dont get me wrong, some of my best friends in NZ fall into that category and I tell them straight that they are loony. I havnt been smacked yet :knuppel2: :knuppel2:

family is different to missing the country. I phone often.

worsie

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2007, 10:53:34 am »
rotovegas, I think that's perfectly normal, in fact I like your way of thinking, I'll be adopting the same attitude.

I have have often given this much thought. I don't miss JHB one bit anymore, except for how it use to be, we had good times there, but those days are now gone and I will miss the place anyway if I am staying there or not. I hated my last years in JHB, and tried like hell to get out. I was so happy when i had the opportunity to move to Cape Town.

If i left JHB for NZ instead of going to live in Cape Town for 3 1/2 years I probably would feel exactly the same as you do. I loved Cape Town and still do, problem is its going to be the same as the rest of Africa too pretty soon, its not going to escape the african virus. I did not leave SA because of the crime, I left JHB because of the crime and always felt pretty safe in Cape Town. I think if you are from JHB, you can very easily settle here without missing anything about SA, without even giving it a second thought.

Badprop

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2007, 10:55:42 am »
Brad true, I'll miss the people.  I will remember the place how it was long, long time ago.  But don't want anything to do with it now.  It was beautiful, now it is  :censored: