Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Are you part of the official emigration figures?  (Read 3237 times)

worsie

Are you part of the official emigration figures?
« on: August 06, 2007, 11:25:26 am »
How many of you guys have just hopped on the plane and left? I certainly have and SA therefore has no record of me emigrating. I don't believe the figure quoted, one person leaving, one is returning from the removal companies. When I asked my removal company the same question, he said to me that for every 10 people they move out of the country, one person is coming back.

Somebody switch off the lights please....

By Bronwynne Esbach

There have been no published South African emigration statistics since 2003, leaving a huge gap in research.

Statistics SA published the last official emigration figures in December 2003. The last official immigration figures were published in July 2005.

Kenneth Manikela, the statistician at StatsSA who compiles the Tourism and Migration monthly publication, said there were plans to start publishing the figures again, once home affairs had begun collecting them.

"There was an amendment to the Immigration Act of 2002 which did not require the figures of South Africans leaving to be recorded. We compiled them using departure forms people filled in at airports, and those forms will be introduced again in the near future."

Manikela said there were plans to get South Africans leaving the country to fill in the departure forms. The lack of figures was leaving a "huge gap in research".

"We have been in contact with the department of home affairs, telling them there are a lot of organisations wanting this information. For this reason we are really pushing to see that this data is collected."

He said Stats SA would be meeting home affairs to discuss the issue.

Mike Ramagoma, the adviser to home affairs Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, could not confirm whether the department was considering the re-introduction of the departure forms.

Ronnie Mamoepa, spokesperson for foreign affairs, said his department supported compilation of statistics.

"The matter is one for the department of home affairs, but as our ministry is concerned with all affairs with international implications, we do support legislation to have emigration figures recorded."

The SA Institute of Race Relations was also anxious for the figures to be published once again. Frans Cronje, the institute's development director, said they only had their own research on emigration to rely on.

The institute has drawn from a range of sources to identify an alarming emigration trend, which shows most SA migrants are skilled white men.

"We used Statistics SA's mid-year population estimates, which they get from the national census and comparing the figures we estimate that around an average 800 000 white South Africans have emigrated from 1995 until 2005. We put the number at no less than 500 000 and no more than 1,2-million."

The institute first published this figure in 2006. Although media reports at the time suggested white South Africans could have been under-counted in the 2001 census, Cronje said a major shrinkage in the white population led to that conclusion.

"The major gap was shown mostly in white men aged between 25 and 35 years old. This kind of pattern is usually shown in countries where there was a war and young men were killed. We don't have anything like that, so the assumption is that emigration was the cause."

They have also noted the most popular destinations for South Africans are the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US.

Cronje said South Africans were also emigrating to other parts of Africa, Hong Kong and the Middle East.

"In 2006 the SA High Commission in Britain estimated that there were around 750 000 South Africans in the UK - it is really the number one destination for South Africans."

However, he stressed these figures did not include South Africans who entered the UK through family living there, or those with dual citizenship.

The Homecoming Revolution, an organisation which encourages expatriates to return to South Africa, agreed that most South Africans who emigrated went to the UK.

"We never actually found really accurate statistics. But, we do get a lot of our information from removal companies, who deal with international moving. That has been the best way for us," said spokesperson Megan Wood.

She said the organisation received 100 inquiries a month from South Africans abroad who wanted to come home.

"Through information we received from a removal company in 2005, we estimate that for every one person leaving the country, there is one coming back," she said.

o This article was originally published on page 4 of Sunday Argus on August 05, 2007

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20070805112250413C469678

Badprop

Re: Are you part of the official emigration figures?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 11:30:26 am »
Those figures are a 'perception'.  As always it is completely out.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 11:30:26 am »

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 11:30:45 am »
"Through information we received from a removal company in 2005, we estimate that for every one person leaving the country, there is one coming back," she said.

:2funny: :uglystupid2:

I'll be hopping onto the plane and disappearing, so no I won't be part of their figures.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 11:38:40 am »
The Home Coming Revolution is such a lot of propoganda BS that you can't believe a single word they are saying. They are however only fooling themselves, because no single person in their right mind mind will believe that for ever person leaving, there is one returning simply because just the white population has decreased by at least 1 million. If HR was right then the fugure would only be 500 000. They must really think people are dof.

The major gap was shown mostly in white men aged between 25 and 35 years old. This kind of pattern is usually shown in countries where there was a war and young men were killed. We don't have anything like that, so the assumption is that emigration was the cause

Mr Cronje - last time I looked at the murder figures, they WERE war figures, time to get that head out mate!

Personally I don't believe that the majority of folks are going to the UK. It is without a doubt Oz. I also personally believe that the 1 million figure is way too little. If they release the actual amount of just whites that are 'missing' / 'out of the country', the figure will be at least double that.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 11:43:55 am by Nolan »

worsie

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 11:41:25 am »
She said the organisation received 100 inquiries a month from South Africans abroad who wanted to come home.

I agree, there is no ways that this figure can be true.

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 11:48:00 am »
The Home Coming Revolution is such a lot of propoganda BS that you can't believe a single word they are saying. They are however only fooling themselves, because no single person in their right mind mind will believe that for ever person leaving, there is one returning simply because just the white population has decreased by at least 1 million. If HR was right then the fugure would only be 500 000. They must really think people are dof.

The major gap was shown mostly in white men aged between 25 and 35 years old. This kind of pattern is usually shown in countries where there was a war and young men were killed. We don't have anything like that, so the assumption is that emigration was the cause

Mr Cronje - last time I looked at the murder figures, they WERE war figures, time to get that head out mate!

Personally I don't believe that the majority of folks are going to the UK. It is without a doubt Oz. I also personally believe that the 1 million figure is way too little. If they release the actual amount of just whites that are 'missing' / 'out of the country', the figure will be at least double that.

Hee Ha, Partner. They truly believe that the white minority is a bunch of a..:censored:

worsie

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 12:05:43 pm »
I think most people hit the UK first, especially university graduates. Then they get sick of it and either go back to SA (for a short while, then get the hell out again) or make there new home in AUS or NZ, I think AUS is definitly the preferred destination, it was mine anyway. But now I am happy in NZ.

Maybe these homecoming guys will be the last to switch off the lights.

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 12:05:43 pm »

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 12:13:23 pm »
I wonder if they count all the Saffers who go over on the 2 year WHV ? Loads of young South African's has been over to the UK on that.  :heeha:

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:59:52 pm by Rhodan »

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 07:57:24 pm »
The SA govt has no idea where I am.......and I like it that way.

They can fool themselves if they like but the exodus continues. Maybe they think we are all on extended holidays.......forever.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 09:06:23 pm »
just realised that I didn't actually answer the question : yes, we are officially emigrating.

We are breaking all ties with SA, except for friends and family, and don't want anything further to do with the place, except help others to leave as well.

When I climb on that plane SA can kiss my @ss, because it will never see me again if I can help it.

Badprop

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 09:37:07 pm »
Forgot to answer as well.  We will officially emigrate.

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 08:19:55 am »
Everybody still thinks I joke when i tell them that I will not be back...not even for a visit. My parents will come to be twice a year and that will be fine with me. OH wants to come back for the 2010 soccer and I said NO WAY
"never let the fear of striking out,keep you from playing the game"

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 08:19:55 am »

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 08:36:23 am »
We are officially emigrating.  But know of 4 couples not on this site which is going for a holiday!

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 08:43:18 am »
How do you "officially" emigrate ?

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 08:58:31 am »
I am not an expert but this is what I think.

You can leave the country permanently like I have, but not bother to tell anyone (like the government). I just tied up all my affairs, closed bank accounts, paid off student loan. I left with my holiday travel allowance.

If you want to officially immigrate and take out all the money you possibly can I think you have to get Reserve Bank clearance and stuff from SARS etc. It is more complicated and I was advised not to do it.

So as far as the SA government is concerned I have gone on "holiday" (but wont be back.) Good riddance!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 09:00:19 am by rotovegas »