Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Are you part of the official emigration figures?  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: Are you part of the official emigration figures?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 09:00:27 am »
the way I have it, you get tax clearance for immigration purposes. When you leave, you hand all your credit cards etc., back to the bank and they close your accounts. Any money like investments etc. that you leave in SA are controlled by the bank on your behalf. You then don't have to worry about your tax affairs in SA as they are wrapped up.

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 09:02:31 am »
So as far as the SA government is concerned I have gone on "holiday" (but wont be back.) Good riddance!

Aye !  O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 09:02:31 am »

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 09:06:19 am »
yeah, thats right. My mom is doing my tax return this year as she has POA for me and next year I wont have one cause I havent worked in the tax year. They will think I am another unemployed soul.

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 09:16:23 am »
Brad, dont you mean "good riddance to bad rubbish" because that's exactly how i feel
"never let the fear of striking out,keep you from playing the game"

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 09:59:12 am »
We are on holiday as well. Never to return!!

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 02:33:32 pm »
We are just leaving as we have to leave  bank acc open for some policies etc to run for a few months. Once we have citizenship we will go into SA house in NZ and change our status.

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 09:18:31 am »
the way I have it, you get tax clearance for immigration purposes. When you leave, you hand all your credit cards etc., back to the bank and they close your accounts. Any money like investments etc. that you leave in SA are controlled by the bank on your behalf. You then don't have to worry about your tax affairs in SA as they are wrapped up.

Nolan is right only you close all your accounts at the bank, cancel credit cards etc.  Keep one account open so that money can be transferred to you and the Reserve Bank can keep an eye on how much you have moved, if you reach the limit then they block your account.

We did the whole official immigration, so we might be in the figures.  My brother jumped on a plane and he is not in the figures either.  I know some one who got to Aus and within three weeks was back in SA.  His container hadn't even got to Aus.  He had sold his house, now is building another one just up the road from where he lived.  Pity he didn't even give it a proper go.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 09:18:31 am »

Offline antonjl

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 09:28:01 am »
We not part of the official figures.  ;) What a long holiday this is going to be. All SA bank accounts are still open. There are a few things in SA I still have to pay on a monthly basis.

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 10:11:44 am »
We are officially immigrating also. Except for this site I know of 18 families planning to go in the next 4 months and only us doing the PR thing....most people are so upset/ scared/confused/ sad that they just wanna get out of here ASAP!! I do not plame them when I read their names in the papers (just below the article of the thief/murdered/ rapist getting bail for R 1000!)

I am sure only 1 out of 10 families are shown as immigrating.

:tickedoff: Leave them to it. If they wanna ruin my country, my home, I'm not sticking around to watch (or let my kids watch).