Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: 2 miniature dachshunds, CT 2 NZ  (Read 6786 times)

worsie

2 miniature dachshunds, CT 2 NZ
« on: August 08, 2007, 10:30:52 am »
Hi guys, my doggies are still in quarantine in SA, they will be leaving for NZ only in the beginning of January, then they will be spending a further 120 days in quarantine on this side. Thought I would share with you guys the costs so far, its ridiculous.

Animal Travel Services (Cape Town)
Full amount R27 427 or $4986, including flights to NZ etc...

Pethaven charges in NZ , including airport collections, customs, documentation etc...
Quarantine Boarding: $7,344.00
Addtional Charges:     $226.02
MAF Visits/ week:         $1237.50
Total                           $8807.52 or R48441

Pethaven in Auckland is the cheapest, I got hold of nearly every place in NZ and compared prices.

People must think we mad, but at least you do not have to pay these charges as a once off. So we not going to feel it so much. We also dumped the insurance on our container, saving more money to put towards these doggies. Our furniture is scheduled to arrive soon so i really hope it gets here in one piece.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 10:41:00 am by worsie »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: 2 miniature dachshunds, CT 2 NZ
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 10:54:54 am »
Thanks Worsie, I will add your quotes to the Quotes Page

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 10:54:54 am »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 12:02:16 pm »
Now that's Pet Love :smitten:

Badprop

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 12:25:18 pm »
And the dogs best friend is man :)

Offline Zinzan55

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 07:39:41 pm »
And here we sit in SA, too scared to do the sums;putting it off because we just cannot bare the alternatives. They are members of the family after all - can you think of leaving one of your kids behind? Our vet always has different pics up about homes wanted for pets - I don't think half find homes. The costs are staggering!! We are wanting to bring at least 1 dachshund and 1 cat, but who can really afford that?
Did you mean you get to pay the R48k over the 4 months or is it a longer period?
Since you are in NZ, why are your dogs only coming out in Jan?
Appreciate your reply - you are very lucky, I am sure you will be very happy to see them again.

worsie

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 08:27:56 am »
And here we sit in SA, too scared to do the sums;putting it off because we just cannot bare the alternatives. They are members of the family after all - can you think of leaving one of your kids behind? Our vet always has different pics up about homes wanted for pets - I don't think half find homes. The costs are staggering!! We are wanting to bring at least 1 dachshund and 1 cat, but who can really afford that?
Did you mean you get to pay the R48k over the 4 months or is it a longer period?
Since you are in NZ, why are your dogs only coming out in Jan?
Appreciate your reply - you are very lucky, I am sure you will be very happy to see them again.

Hi Zinzan, its terrible. I know exactly how you feel. You are so right, they are part of the family and you cannot put a price on them.

Whats your dachshunds name? Is it the short hair or long hair?

Yes, you pay the 48k over the 4 months. I have not even started paying that yet, still paying for the SA side of things and I am going to have to pay another bid sum probably by the end of the month.

Our dogs are still in SA because i did not get them taken in soon enough. Please take this bit of advice, as soon as you have made the decision to come to NZ, take your dogs and get the blood tests done, rabies tests etc. Do not wait. You can then take the dogs home. A mistake that i made was that our dogs rabies injections are all up to date. In SA its every 3 years I think. But in NZ its one year. Therefore they had actually expired, so then they need to do the tests again, and wait a couple of weeks before they can start the process in SA. The other thing that is holding us up is the place shuts down in SA now of December. So they can therefore only send them next year. ANd all that esculates the costs even further.

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 08:39:37 am »
I made the same mistake worsie, mine can only go into quarantine in January.
I have a black smooth haired one - Cleo and a wire haired one - Tazzy (both 3 years old)
Still undecided about what to do.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 08:39:37 am »

worsie

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 09:15:44 am »
Cute man, so we all got dachshunds, wow.

Both of ours are the short haired, brown one (the bigger of the 2) and black one (the miniature).

Its a tough one, what the hell do you do. Then you have to think about the stress they go through. But I believe mine are in very loving hands and they are being looked after well.

Its funny that your dogs one name is cleo, we have pepper and spice. Peppers mom's name was cleo.

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 09:32:39 am »
I love that - pepper and spice.  They are the best dogs in the world :smitten:
Mine are  both miniature although Taz could be classified as a barrel cos she loves her food so much.

worsie

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 09:54:04 am »
Well Pepper had recently hurt her back and she was on the road to recovery. She had to relearn how to walk, it was very sad. But she is all well again, and the vet said she needs to take it easy until she fully recovers. In a way this quarantine is a good thing, because now she is unable to jump off beds and run down steps etc (this is so bad for their backs)

I agree, they are the best dogs, they are such small dogs with such loud barks, and they so brave that they on anything and everything.