Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Industry advice for immigration  (Read 594 times)

Offline tarynv

Industry advice for immigration
« on: August 19, 2016, 08:05:28 pm »
Hi everyone

My husband and I are looking to immigrate to NZ. Recently we spent a few days in NZ on holiday to get a good feel and idea of the country and what it would be like (we stayed with my husband's aunt).

Before we left on our trip we had completed an assessment for eligibility and they came back advising our skills and trades weren't a need. So our question is, is how do we know if there are any opportunities and what advice can anyone give us on the possibility of finding employment overall even if not in our industries?

I have been in travel and tourism for a few years and my husband has been a sales manager for heavy duty trucks.
In the same breath is their a need for Qualified Health, safety and environmental people for construction/mining?

Many thanks in advance.

Offline hugopve

• For now we see but through a glass darkly
    • HVC Group PTY (LTD)
Re: Industry advice for immigration
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 05:52:53 am »
Howdie Taryn. The first step would be to check out the skills shortage list: http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz. Health and safety inspectors are on the list. Second step should be doing a points calculation for the SMC visa. If you get enough points based on your qualifications (if any) then you are good to go.

Going the work to residence route is going to be more difficult, and more and more NZ companies are not even entertaining applications from individuals who don't have visas.
2/4/16 EOI submitted
13/4/16 EOI selected
23/4/16 ITA received
3/5/16 Medicals completed
24/5/16 ITA submitted
26/5/16 ITA lodged and paid
6/6/16 IO Assigned
13/6/16 Resident VISA Approved
21/6/16 VISA issued
24/6/16 Passports received back from London
9/7/16 Arrived in Auckland

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum