Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Catch 22 on NZ work visas  (Read 665 times)

Offline arnoolinger

Catch 22 on NZ work visas
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:24:00 pm »
Hey all, I am trying to clear up some confusion here. To work in NZ you need a work visa, right  :D  #1 - so as a professional with a degree on the Long term skills list you cannot get a work visa until you have secured a job offer, means leaving your job and taking the big leap of faith  :(  #2 - You will struggle to get an interview without a visa giving you the right to work in NZ  ???  #3 - NZ government just announced that all Saffers travelling to NZ from SA must have apply for a visa before arriving!!!! My point is this, how will NZ immigration ever attract talented individuals with so many hurdles, seems contradictory! If I understand it correctly, no work visa no job offer.  Please help me get over this hurdle.. O0

Offline yusuf

Re: Catch 22 on NZ work visas
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 08:21:30 pm »
Well, NZ does actually find talented individuals.

Many immigrants apply for jobs before arriving in NZ, and end up getting job offers which lead to work permits. That effectively means that companies choose the best of the best (huge pool of applicants to choose from), which is what I believe INZ is trying to do. Although their laws are not written clearly, It seems they aren't interested in people coming over and finding work while on holiday.

To address your closing statement about no work visa no job offer, companies don't appear to understand the immigration rules themselves. They usually ask for applicants to have the right to live and work in NZ (which you wouldn't have if you came over as a visitor anyway).

Sometimes they say that because they want a local candidate, and other times they say that because it is part of their template. Because of the high cost of labour in NZ, companies don't hire people they don't need right away. They want people to be billable from day 1, so their profits don't go on paying people to be idle. They therefore often hire people at the last minute, meaning that hiring someone without a work permit takes too long and would delay their engagements. Should they not get suitable applicants, they will, and do look at candidates outside NZ, especially in IT.

My suggestion, and the suggestion of many, is to apply for all jobs, and to explain on your cover letter that you qualify for a work permit but that you need a job offer in order to obtain the right to live and work in NZ.

Tips: Understand the market. NZ is small, so they like people with a wide basket of skills, and experience to go with it. They are not looking for inexperienced graduates...they want very experienced, confident people, and qualifications seldom matter. Get your CV sorted/simplified, as they really don't are about matric and university subjects, extra curricular activities etc. Display proficiency in English. Make sure your LinkedIn is accurate and up to date. It's a tool that is used a lot in NZ to find candidates. Research the company you're applying for, and what similar roles, specific to NZ, require. Tailor your cover letter and cv accordingly. NZ is absolutely tiny, yet they have applicants from around the world. Be creative if you want to stand out from the huge labour pool.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:36:01 pm by yusuf »
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 08:21:30 pm »

Offline arnoolinger

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 04:55:39 pm »