Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Whangerai  (Read 3929 times)

Offline Smallfly

Whangerai
« on: August 21, 2007, 08:12:13 am »
Anybody living in whangerai ?

What's the weather like ?

How many saffers living there ?

Is it as windy as wellington ?
Never look down upon someone, unless you are helping him up.

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
Re: Whangerai
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:16:29 am »
Smallfly, here's the Wikipedia page for Whangarei. There's links there to other sites of interest for Whangarei.

Whangarei Information and Travel Centre
Whangarei District Council

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:16:29 am »

Badprop

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 08:41:30 am »
Smallfly also google Whangarei and select image, there are some nice photo's to look through.

Offline Smallfly

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:17:52 am »
I did all that, but on wikipedia there's no mention about the wind, and it seems like the east coast tend to be windy, therefore the question.

I like what I saw on wikipedia, and the pic's are nice.There seems to be enough job opportunity in the canning industry.

I would however liked to get first hand info of someone living there, if there was someone on this forum.

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:28:22 am »
Hey Smallfly - keep us updated ok? We have an interview for Whangarei this week sometime (on the phone) and our research has made us very excited :heeha:

Good schools, great economy, outdoor life, sailing and diving and a wonderfull waterfront/ shopping mall - I did not see any complaints about the wind,..... :clap:

Badprop

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:32:57 am »
Smallfly I am going to visit a SA guy there in 2 weeks.  Will report back on his thoughts or try and get him to join us here.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:34:00 am »
We were interested at one time ourselves but there wasn't work in my hubby's line at the time.  My sister said there is a very supportive SA community there.  She also said there's a lot of Maoris there, and therefore also many gangs? ???
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:34:00 am »

Offline Smallfly

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 02:48:05 pm »
  She also said there's a lot of Maoris there, and therefore also many gangs? ???

GANGS ????

They have those ??

What's the crime like ?

I see the maori population is 24 %.

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 06:36:16 pm »
 :( ??? :-\

GANGS?

Oh dear  :help:

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 11:17:35 pm »
I did a search on gangs crime nz in Google and came across this link:
http://www.justice.govt.nz/cpu/crime-reduction-strategy/organised-crime.html
 Crime is not non-existant in NZ,  but at least the police are working together to reduce it, and it is a lot less insane than in SA. 

northern advocate
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 11:19:36 pm by zatexnz »
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 11:24:09 pm »
I guess one must just do a search to see what's the situation of any town you're going to.  But that aside... again, even that crime done by gangs, is not just wildly against anybody who happens to drive by on any given night.  It's not the norm here.

Here's what I found of Hamilton.
http://www.bigcities.govt.nz/pdf2004/Quality_of_Life_2004_Hamilton.pdf
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 11:25:14 pm »
And here's a wonderful one on what they plan to do...
http://www.rethinking.org.nz/?gclid=CKiH5O_Rh44CFRnwYAodbVWX2Q
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 11:25:14 pm »

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 05:19:40 am »
Hi all Whangarei is not too windy at all. I was there for 7 weeks in December/January and had light breezes the whole time I was there. There is a very big south african comunity there and all are so willing to help out as they have done it before. I was looking in the window of a property agent to see what accomodation was out there and the next thing an agent was standing next me. When she heard my son and I speaking afrikaans she switched to afrikaans as well. She said it was a treat for her to hear her language again. Long story short she introduced me ot a couple of other ex saffers and soon there were so many offers of help. When will you get here? are you bringing furniture? When they heard we plan on starting again I was given a long list of e mail addressees and phone numbers and told to phone away when we get there .Seems someone always has a spare bed, chair or whastever to loan a fellow saffer while they get started.
As for the gangs that is not a concern at all. Yes there are gangs but as long as you stay out of the dodgy areas you are fine., I met some great moaris there. Forget the preconceptions that all moaris are like our locals. They are anything but. As in all cultures there are good and bad.
Any more questions just ask away. I could also send you my son's e mail address for more specific questions that I am not able to answer. Just pm me.
IMHO Whangarei is a great place and I would not want to be anytwhere else.
It has all the convienience of city living but with the added advantage of being a rural community.
Also check out the Whangarei District Council website. They have recently started a programme to help new immigrants settle in.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 04:19:34 pm »
This is my sister's response. She works with a lot of Maoris though court etc... and knows some people in Whangarei... It's in afrikaans:

Ja.  Gangs oral in NZ.  In North Shore moet mens net weet watter kant van die hoofweg om te bly.  Jy moet nie worry oor Whangarei nie, sal die regte plek kry vir julle om te bly, het goeie kontakte daar. 

Maori is baie rustige mense, afrika tyd, drink baie en dan slaan hulle mekaar en hulle kinders.  Het gemiddels 7 kinders elk.  nie geld nie en dan is die kinders verveeld en niks om te doen nie en dan gangs.  Al die howe is groot borde op dat hulle mag geen gang colours dra nie, beteken hulle mag nie serpe etc, dra nie.

Ek werk elke dag tussen hulle in die hof.  P (a drug found in NZ) is die probleem.  En NZ het dit ongelukkig.  Maar dit is meer in Auckland terwyl Whangarei gewone dagga het...

En dis dieselfde as om vir iemand te sê wat Oos London toe trek dat die 2de grootste lokasie in OL is, 3/4 van almal het nie werk nie, en 98% van die bevolking is swart.

Ek sit in North Shore hof dan hoor ek net sake oor wheel spinning and boy racing.  Papakura hoor ek net aanranding (maar eintlik almal familie ge-oorenteer en dan sit ek in Waitakere or Manukau dan is dit roof, diefstal etc.  Die groot verskil is dis nie moord en verkragtings nie

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 11:21:34 pm »
thanks for clearing that up!!  It's always good to get multiple opinions, because one's opinion can be taken out of context, or come across wrong.  Glad to hear it's not a bad situation!  O0
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen