Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Importing your hunting rifle  (Read 13214 times)

Offline Didi77

• Resident
Importing your hunting rifle
« on: August 31, 2007, 08:20:50 pm »
Can't find my post where we talked about taking weapons accross. Nolan hope you will move it if need be...?

I have found some info to take our hunting rifles with. Beware of two points:

- you need to ensure the weapons are on the list of weapons “allowed” – rather send the make and model to the NZ police to double check they are happy with it.
http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/importing.html

- and you will need you residence approved before applying? (I do not think you may apply for a visitors visa for your rifle but will have to check)

You will be needing an export permit from SA and an import permit from customs and police NZ:

For the export (this is the difficult part – I LOVE SA police stations):  :idiot2:
http://www.phasa.co.za/uploads/1137579810.pdf

For the import it seems you take this form, your weapons and arrive at the airport with your passport? New Immigrants should leave all firearms in SA until you have gained permanent residency. When you can prove you have obtained permanent residency, you are allowed to apply for a Firearms Licence and a Permit to Import.  :)

I will update those interested as soon as I have started the process and felt the hurdles….. :smart:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 10:18:50 am by Didi77 »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Re: Importing your hunting rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 11:03:51 am »
BTW, MAF wanted to see what we had in our two safes, because some people try to smuggle in their guns.  Our safes just have our important papers in, and jewelry and coins.  :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 11:03:51 am »

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 11:12:48 am »
I am also packing the safe in. But will not try the smuggle thing. Worked way to hard to get PR without being thown out of the country for a stupid gun!  :o
I will leave it open thanks!

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 06:11:41 pm »
Still trying to get the rifles loaded....

Stuck in the typical catch 22 situation.

SAP say: you need a import permit to get an export permit.
NZP (nz police) say: you need no paperwork, except your SA licence, to bring your weapon and licence it here.

NZP will not give me a letter confirming I do NOT need a permit cause it is on the website for everyone to see.

SAP does not have internet access. :idiot2:

:tickedoff: :uglystupid2: :crazy2:

Does anyone have a cool, understanding friend in the NZP? I need a letter to tell SAP how to do their job....

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 06:53:59 pm »
and if you take a printout from the NZP website to show the SAP?

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 09:33:31 pm »
Agggghhhh tey are being very difficult - like only our SAP can be. Been callling all over NZ.

I will keep the post updated for the guys who was wondering how.....  :uglystupid2:

as soon as I find out how :smart:

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 06:08:07 am »
Apart from this problem how's the packing going.?   Didi will you still have family on this side that can send the weapons to you on the other side?  You can then go and plead with the NZers and give someone on this side POA to take care of the paperwork on this side for you.  I think if you stand in front of the police guy on that side, it might make a difference.

Just a thought.  You have sooo much to do right now, this is just taking up time and you could charm someone on that side to help you.
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 06:08:07 am »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 08:35:52 am »
Didi I don't know if this will help but when we were sorting out handing Jasons gun in, a detective at Hillcrest Police station was very helpful.  She is in the gun licensing dept and her name is Lindsay - can't remember the surname but not too many whites there.  She showed us a permit she had done for someone going to NZ that was on her desk.  Maybe give her a call and she might have a better idea of how to help you. 

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 09:22:44 am »
Sorry MJ and Cranky - only saw you posts now. But thanks so much.

Cranky the SAP say that only we can do the export as they need our finger prints. They can not take our finger prints before hand because they will lose it!  :idiot2:

I have this morning (after long conversation with NZ police in wellington) at last got a letter. See it below for other people's ref. What a struggle. The NZ police is SOOOOO helpfull and the SA police is SOOOOO useless and lazy and  :uglystupid2:

Its amazing. Just amazing.
 :thumbdown:

I recommend that you get a letter like this from Paul in Wellington before applying for export permits.

ADVISOR (FIREARMS LICENSING)
Date:   Thursday, 13 December 2007

Subject:   Re: Export of Firearms to New Zealand

To Whom It May Concern:
This is to certify that New Zealand Police allows visitors/immigrants to bring firearms to New Zealand on the basis that they will seek the appropriate licence and permits within one month of arrival in New Zealand. Any firearms, which do not comply with New Zealand law, are destroyed.
New Zealand Police and Customs have a policy of allowing people to ship/bring firearms to New Zealand without a pre-arranged permit to import or licence on the basis that the firearms will be held by NZ Customs Service while the applicant seeks the various approvals/licences.
Application for a firearm licence must be made within 20 days of arrival in New Zealand and the firearms are held until New Zealand Police with regard to the licence and the status of the firearms has made a decision for importation into New Zealand. New Zealand Police without compensation destroys any firearms, which are not approved for importation into New Zealand.
I acknowledge that the firearms which you intend to bring with you are:
1.   Pieter Skinner
Passport nr: ******
Id nr: ********

Weapon 1: Rifle, Make Parker Hale. Cal: 303 Serial nr: ******
Weapon 2: Rifle. Make Krico. Cal: .22 long. Serial nr:*****
 2.   Didi **********
Passport nr: **********
Id nr: ***********
 Weapon 1: Rifle, Make Musgrave. Cal: 30.06 Serial nr: ******

Paul Gatland
   Advisor: Firearms Licensing
   Office of the Commissioner of Police
   National Headquarters
   Wellington
   NEW ZEALAND
   Email: paul.gatland@police.govt.nz
   DDI: 64 04 4749539

cc.
AUCKLAND AIRPORT POLICE OFFICERS
Officer in Charge
Airport Police
PO Box 73004
AUCKLAND
Phone:  09 275 9046
Fax:  09 2560486
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 09:28:24 am by Didi77 »

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 04:45:46 pm »
And here is the NZ police reply after I thanked them for their assistance:

Hi Didi

You are welcome. Hopefully you will get your guns out in time.

No problem advertising my contact details - they have featured on one of the RSA internet email networks before. Happy to help people to import their sporting firearms - it would be good to emphasise that NZ law supports the possession and use of sporting firearms for sports purposes, but does not condone firearm possession for self defence or similar purposes. So importing sporting long arms, and pistols for target shooting at a police recognised club (pistol shooting requires a minimum attendance at the club per annum), is reasonably straight forward. Importation of MSSA rifles and non-target pistols is a different matter which would require some sort of specific agreement from this office prior to shipment to NZ.

The specific message is that permits to import cannot be issued until a person has a New Zealand firearms licence - which can only be obtained in person, in New Zealand, but there is the arrangement as outlined in the letter to you.

Which part of RSA are you in?

Is there some central point of contact for the SAP which I could advise my details to and the process so that they know what is required. Some SAP offices are pretty much on to it as they have had a number of people seek permits. I guess it is like NZ Police - not everyone on the counter knows all of the answers.

regards

Paul Gatland
Office of the Commissioner of Police
National Headquarters
Wellington
NEW ZEALAND
Email: paul.gatland@police.govt.nz
DDI: 64 04 4749539

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 06:20:38 pm »
Didi thanks for all your help and HOW does it work with an air rifle (Pallet gun) ?

Offline Shaz

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 09:39:09 pm »
Thanks Didi! This is really helpful!

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 09:39:09 pm »

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 09:09:59 am »
Jeeze Anton I saw the article on that on a website but can not find it again. I know it depends on the strenth per square inch of the gun.

I would recommend you email Paul and ask him for the guidelines?

Otherwise hold on and I will check if I can find that website next week?

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 05:15:52 pm »
Thanks Didi and who is Paul  ???

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 03:55:08 pm »
 :confused: you sound like me: ;D

Paul Gatland