Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Importing your hunting rifle  (Read 13206 times)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Re: Importing your hunting rifle
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 12:25:47 am »
hahaha AntonK, you need to read properly!!  ;D  Methinks you need some target practice... :guns:
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 08:46:11 am »
 ;D JAJA Thanks Didi  O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 08:46:11 am »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 10:05:47 am »
Thanks for the legwork Didi, I have pinned the topic for those after you O0

Offline alwyn

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 05:34:47 pm »
I'm curious, what do you plan on hunting?

The last time I was in NZ the only things bigger than a rat I saw was sheep, elk, dogs and people...

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 10:41:45 pm »
We might need to hunt people, we never know....  :o :whistle:  ::) :2funny:  :idiot2:  :knuppel2: Don't worry I'm just joking, Cheers,  8) , SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 10:51:38 pm »
Pieter is going wild pig hunting in June with my sister's friend on the northern reserves.

I am going cat hunting on horse-back in Aust in Aug with the conservation group that controls invasive animals....

Next year we plan going elk hunting in South island's mountain areas. If we can afford.....

And then you gotta hear the sheep hunting stories in The northern areas!! Its really funny - but you get to keep the meat and the farmers give you free accommodation... so perhaps we might just join in on the next wild sheep hunt.....  ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 10:54:34 pm by Didi77 »

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 05:54:01 pm »
Sound cool Didi  O0

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 05:54:01 pm »

Offline Janetjie

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 03:02:24 pm »
Ek weet nie of dit die regte plek is om te vra nie, maar manlief het 'n 9mm pistool.  Ons wag al amper 'n jaar vir die lisensie om heruitgereik te word.  Ons wil die ding verkoop voor ons oorkom, want ons het hom net hier nodig gehad vir selfverdediging.  Daar gaan ons geen nut vir hom hê nie, Hoe gaan 'n mens te werk om die pistool verkoop en van sy naam af te kry? :confused:
Nice!!!

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 04:09:02 pm »
Janetjie dis baie moeilik om n vuurwapen in vandag se tyd te verkoop - Try eers al die gun smiths en as hulle nie die vuurwapen wil koop nie, dan gaan handig jy dit in by jou naaste polisie stasie (maak seker die vuurwapen kan nooit weer werk, voordat jy dit terug handig). Daar is n paar vorms wat jy moet teken dan is die vuurwapen uit jou hande-  :gl:

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 12:07:17 am »
Janetjie please be aware that it is a criminal offence to damage a fire arm and then hand it in to the police. In other words do it in such a way that they can not prove it. Thowing away the "slagpen" is a good way  :)

Do not take the weapon to any SAP - only the bigger ones (like Lyttleton in PTA) and ensure they give you evidence which you keep for 25 years.

Do not sell your 9mil to a private person - you will regret it as it takes YEARS to get rid of the thing! Take it to a gunsmith or collector. (try an ad in the gun mags also)

goodluck

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2008, 01:26:15 am »
We went one better and destroyed the gun entirely using a angle grinder.  Cut it into little pieces so that no "person" could ever get their hands on it to use on anyone else.
Be it illegal or not it's now done!

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 04:30:23 am »
 ;D you destructive woman!  O0

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 04:30:23 am »

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 02:00:03 pm »
Nice one Mandy  O0

Offline Hill

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 07:56:22 am »
Hi Didi.

Funny enough I also thought, what the hell am I going to hunt in NZ. But have since found out they have quite a bit. They have Red Stag, Sika, Fallow Deer, Wapiti, Rusa, Sambar, goats, Rams, Chamois and Tahr. Some of these things are huge. But expensive.

Can some of the hunters over there presently, please start threads of your hunting experiences. Maybe list a few contacts for cheaper hunts etc. I hunt quite a bit here in SA and love making my own biltong, drywors and wors. So special prices to those who furnish the best contacts.  ;D

Oh yes and I am planning on taking my biltong drier over if I have space in the container.

Pieter is going wild pig hunting in June with my sister's friend on the northern reserves.

I am going cat hunting on horse-back in Aust in Aug with the conservation group that controls invasive animals....

Next year we plan going elk hunting in South island's mountain areas. If we can afford.....

And then you gotta hear the sheep hunting stories in The northern areas!! Its really funny - but you get to keep the meat and the farmers give you free accommodation... so perhaps we might just join in on the next wild sheep hunt.....  ;D
Regards

Hill

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 01:03:40 am »
Hi Hill.

We are going to a hunting meeting in two weeks (they meet every 6 weeks for venison sizzlers and home made draft) and will let you know the news.

The club here in North land has 2 weekly outings including out of season trips like wild sheep hunting  ;D, duck and fishing. Local Dept of Conservation is part of the invitation and the club gets requests from them to help with invasive control or Possum/deer control in the forests.

I know next month there is a tri-hunt-something at Dargaville. They catch a BIg fish (marlin/ tuna), hunt a wild pig and do a duck shoot on conservation land. Not to expansive incl accommodation and boat costs as well as a dinner: $150  O0