Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Road deaths caused by young drivers?  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Didi77

• Resident
Road deaths caused by young drivers?
« on: September 11, 2007, 02:23:39 pm »
My family in NZ complains about the fact that so many young people make accidents in NZ. I'm worried about my 3 kids driving any were in the world! (especially my absentminded youngest girl... :crazy2:)

Check out the the poll on NZ gov trying to put corrective actions in place. I would vote to get drivers driving at a late age allthough I found that in most cases it is a combination of solutions that corrects problems and not just one....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/view-poll-results.html?section_id=10&poll_id=15242&option_id=24566

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: Road deaths caused by young drivers?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 03:48:54 pm »
they sure do need to raise the age at which you can get your license in NZ

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 03:48:54 pm »

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:46:08 pm »
I saw this weekend that there were three 15 year old girls who died in two seperate road accidents this weekend in NZ. In another accident a town councelour was killed by a teen driver.

It's absolutely ridiculous that they allow kids to drive at 15 years old ! What idiot came up with that idea !

:idiot2: :uglystupid2:

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 06:44:27 pm »
I can't understand why if they are so strict about everything else and they have a problem with boy racers that they have not changed the law.  It seems like such a simple solution.

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 07:48:44 pm »
the 15 year old driving age was introduced long ago ( I think) because NZ was a farming country and kids needed to get to school or shops or drive around on farm roads. Big problem in towns. I think it will be raised to 16/17 in the next few years.

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 08:31:55 pm »
Lets hope so (before my boys get to that age)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:35:24 pm »
18 sounds better because I remember how I used to drive at 18 despite knowing how dangerous it was and having already smashed through a wall and lucky to be alive

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:35:24 pm »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 10:56:59 pm »
I think 15 is way to young. They have no idea of the danger and it's usually to late when they find out :(

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 01:29:30 am »
They need to raise the age - and I agree with Nolan on the 18 limit, like it was/is in SA.  The USA also has a driving age of 16 and then you get dufus parents that give their sons sports cars or huge pick-ups (Utes)  that they can hardly see over the steering wheel...

But as Didi said, it's a combination of things that needs to be done.  One thing they can do is put a limit on the noise/decibels the car is allowed to produce.  That will already put most boy-racers off the road.  Another problem is simply discipline and parental involvement.  A lack of discipline leads to kids being out there alone when they should be at home already.  Also leads to a lack of a sense of responsibility.  I already point out to my kids what is non-responsible driving and what is good driving.  I've started brain-washing them into thinking that they have to be 18 before they can drive.  When they find out differently (later), I will still enforce it - in OUR home the rule is 18, I could care less what the govt allows in this case.

Plus, my kids will have to pay for their own insurance.  I will also not just be giving them a car.  They will save up and buy their own cars.  They will be allowed to borrow mine in the mean time, under strict rules... so no jolling out late at night with Mom's car.  When kids have to pay for their own wheels, they will generally be more careful to look after their cars.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:31:59 am by zatexnz »
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 05:23:47 am »
Yet another crash by teenage girls, fortunately they didn't kill themselves this time:

Teenage girls injured in crash

Two more teenage girls have been involved in a serious car crash, flipping their car while speeding though a West Coast town.

They were in a 50km/h area, "but would have been going a lot faster than that, to put the car on its roof", he said.

Offline haydent

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 06:45:34 am »
15 is WAY too young to be driving. These boy racers drive right up your bumper and then speed past you! They just think of cars as toys  :thumbdown:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 08:20:47 am »
We are on the same wavelength Colleen, we give our kids too much nowadays without them having to earn it, so they don't appreciate what they have.

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 08:20:47 am »

tandl

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 07:34:15 pm »
What would happen to those 15 year olds that already have their license if they change the law though?

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 12:50:05 am »
They would have them revoked, until later.  ?
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 09:44:35 am »
or they would let them drive, but the next 'batch' of 15 year olds will lose out.

They would probably make it so that if you have a license you can drive, but to actually get a license you need to be X age