Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Good News!  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: Good News!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 09:38:04 am »
We are all naturally afraid of change, the problem is that when things change slowly you don't notice them and they seem to not affect you much.

That is what has been happening here in SA, a small change here, a small change there makes you used to small changes. Then they make a bigger change here and there. Now you are referencing that change to the previous one and it doesn't seem so bad, but compared to what the situation was initially, the change would be big & unacceptable. This lays the platform for even bigger changes.

The communists have been doing this for years.....

With us moving to NZ, we are actually taking a step back to where we were years ago as far as our comfort zones are concerned, but because so much has changed in SA, it feels like a huge step out of our comfor zone.

Then there is obviously the support systems we have become used to - friends and family you know you can trust, lean and rely on. For all of us, that is the biggest hurdle to overcome. But if we look back over the years, how many good friends have actually come and gone and we are still surviving, so we can do it again, just like we did when we left school and went to Uni or the army. You had to do it, you had no choice.

It was difficult in the beginning, but we all survived and made great friends.

The difference now is that we all want to move so our mindset is positive and that is always half the battle won. We must just put in a bit more effort to make, keep and accept our new friends than what we did before because we need to become not just friends to each other, but family.

Especially with the kids, we need to take over the Ouma and Oupa role with our friend's kids so that they still experience that 'family' bond that we all grew up with.

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 09:41:28 am »

That is what has been happening here in SA, a small change here, a small change there makes you used to small changes.

True, like changing Jan Smuts International to something neutral like Johannesburg International, and now to OR Tambo International. Very clever !

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 09:41:28 am »

Offline haydent

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 10:25:14 am »
Alot of people are scared of change, including me. But having been here in new zealand for only 2 months, it already feels like home. I have also changed. I am not paranoid about anything anymore. In SA i was constantly paranoid about the car being parked in the driveway, but here i don't even think about my car even though it is parked on the street. I never look over my shoulder and never worry about being followed or hijacked. I am used to that change already! It really is a change that is worth it!

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 06:50:14 am »
I cannot imagine getting used to the change so fast haydent. But I am eagerly looking forward to it. The fear of leaving all that I know pales in the face of true freedom.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

worsie

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2007, 07:31:07 am »
Talking about change, I have been thinking so much lately about my 4 year old daughter, her current school where she is so happy, and a new school that she will have to start next year, new friends, new teachers, everything! She had her last day at her kindergarten on Friday, they threw her a little party on Thursday. My wife was in tears and its been very sad. I obviously was not able to attend her last day. Our 4 year old has built up a nice little circle of friends at her school, she has one friend in particular thats her best friend, she always wants her to come around to play. But there is something very good that comes out of this, even though she is only 4, she is already going to have to learn about change. Life is full of changes and the easier you can adapt to change, the better!

worsie

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 07:32:34 am »
I found out yesterday that my sister, who said she wouldn't even think of leaving SA for the next five years, has changed her mind.  They now plan to be in NZ in Jan 2008 providing one of them finds a job by then.  :clap: So now I won't be all alone over there  ;D

Congrats mandyh.  :clap: :clap: :clap:
I am still trying to work on my brother and sister in law! Hopefully once they come for a visit they will change their minds!!!

greenfamily

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2007, 07:57:50 am »
Hi,Worsie, Not to highjack the thread it would be interesting to hear your thoughts and more importantlly feelings about your recent trip to sa and back to nz. Keep well.

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2007, 07:57:50 am »

Offline haydent

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2007, 08:56:12 am »
Don't worry worsie. I think that children tend to adapt to change more than anyone! Your daughter will settle in just fine.  :)

Offline antonjl

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2007, 09:07:28 am »
It is us "old dogs"that adapts  a bit more slowly.
Yes we can all make new friends in NZ but the friends,family in SA is still irreplaceable.
I really miss our dogs in SA as well ,especially the sausage dog!

tandl

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 01:40:08 pm »
If my sister could somehow be convinced to move to NZ one day I would be a very happy person.... you never know what happens.  This gives me some hope :)

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2007, 11:13:49 pm »
Cute dog Anton ;)

I know it's hard, and I've been crazy enough to do it twice :idiot2:

We feel we have final found "HOME" and our move to the farm will be the last move for a very long time O0

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 07:08:28 am »
Happy where's our pics?? can't wait to se tghe farm - told hubby about it last night and he is excited for your sake. The kids just wanna know if you will have horses and can they come visit! :)

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 07:08:28 am »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 11:57:22 pm »
Didi, I only move on the 27th :-\, but I promise I will post pic's as soon as I can O0

Yip, I will have my 2 boys and I want to take on some grazers (other peoples horses). Tell your kids they are more then welcome to come for a visit O0