Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Tips for Job interviews in NZ.  (Read 10064 times)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Tips for Job interviews in NZ.
« on: September 19, 2007, 12:08:58 am »
I was thinking about you guys all coming over for interviews, and Badprop's experiences...
Then I remembered something.... the way you do interviews in SA vs the rest of the world, is different.  Often in SA, you go into the interview with an underlying attitude of they are doing you a favour if they hire you.  But you need to change your attitude to selling yourself.
Think about it this way:

The company interviewing you, has a need.  YOU are the answer to their need.  Your skills and expertize is what they need to get ahead of their competition.  You have to exude confidence in yourself and your skills.  You are doing THEM the favour of offering your skills to them!  BUT, also check them out, and in the interview, show them you've done some research on the company themselves.  Tell them how you believe you'll fit into their company vision and be a profitable investment.  Because they are investing in you!  They want to know their investment is going to bring good returns and be beneficial to their company.

Another thing is hope and faith.  You have to have faith in getting that job while you're here for interviews.  Don't listen to the talk that says it's a rarity if you get a job in the first few weeks (even if it's true!).  The more you listen to that, and the more you speak that out, the more your ears hear, and your mind and heart believes what it hears.... Start speaking positively.  Start believing that you will get that job you want.  And I do believe you need to use more than one agent.  Some companies only USE one agent to advertise their jobs with!  So if you just happen to use only one agent, and he's not the one that a particular company uses, you may be missing an opportunity. 

Don't give up hope.  And even if you start feeling despondent as the days go by.  Keep talking positively to yourself (or to your spouse, if they're along, and to everybody else).  Tomorrow (or the next interview) might just be IT!

And another tip.  If there is any of the interviews that you've been to, that you really liked the company, and you're certain you will fit the job, and you haven't heard from them.  Give them a call.  Or give the agent a call, if you're working through one.  Let them know you have limited time, and if they don't get to doing a follow-up interview with you, that it would be great to still be here for it, and it would save THEM the money of having to phone you internationally.  ;)

Hope this helps!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
Re: Tips for Job interviews in NZ.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 05:33:01 am »
Thanks zatexnz, that's a great post.  O0

I especially think the part about selling yourself is important, as you say, here in SA you feel the company interviewing you is doing you a favour. I noticed that myself when I went to the UK, I had to change my style in interviews and start selling myself.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 05:33:01 am »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 07:23:15 am »
great post, thanks Colleen and you are 100% correct. You have to prove to the company that you will be an asset to them. Most companies in NZ are small businesses so they don't have money to waste on unproductive / wrong employees. That is probably also why they take so long sometimes to make a decision - it costs them money if they get it wrong.

Offline WendyH

• Certified Addict
  • Otorohanga, Waikato
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 08:31:49 pm »
Thanks Colleen, great advice O0
EOI selected - 21 May 2008
ITA received - 1 July 2008
ITA lodged - 14 July 2008
PR approved in principle 04 May 2009
Received passports with stickers - 03 June 2009

Offline mikencarmen

• Eastern Cape, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 07:17:04 pm »
Thanks for the great advise.....some of us have forgotten how to sell ourselves knowing that it is in vain, putting our best forward don't help as "they" normally have someone lined up for the job before the interview takes place....... :tickedoff:

Carmen

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 06:15:38 am »
Good post zatexnz, 

There are two parts I especially liked: the part about selling yourself and the part about not listening to talk that you don't necessary get jobs in the 1st weeks.  I know that it is very possible to get work on the 1st day after interviews, it happened to my brother. 
So people out there don't give up the hope or faith, any thing is possible with a positive attitude.
 :clap:

Offline Amber

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 07:33:29 am »
Morning
These are great tips - are there anymore that anyone can offer?  My DH is having his first telephone interview tomorrow night - he can't remember the last time he had to have an interview so it is a little nerve wreaking!
Thanks
Amber
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 07:33:29 am »

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 08:09:37 am »
Hi Amber!
Just tell him to relax. These Kiwi's have a great sense of humor. Let him do his homework on the company that's interviewing him (from their website), He'll be fine!  O0 I saw when my DH did his telephone interviews, that it was very informal and all of them on a very "light" note. The technical interviews were a little tougher, though!

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 08:11:46 pm »
I was very open and honest in my interviews. If I was asked a technical questions I didn't know how to answer or didn't have experience with, I was honest about it, and explained how I would try to solve it. One company had been interviewing for 6 months, and refusing people that had more experience than me, but they offered me the job the day after they saw me, because I was honest and enthusiastic about learning. Don't try and be macho and think you know everything.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 09:54:53 pm »
great advice Rhodan O0

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 01:08:08 am »
Show an interest in the company and what it does.  My husband asked them why they chose Hamilton to set up their HQ in, above Auckland and Wellington, and I think that showed them he was interested in them as a company and not just a job for job's sake. 

Yes... RELAX.  They are very friendly with good sense of humour!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline alwyn

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 06:31:39 pm »
Any tips on how a typical Afrikaans South-African can go about selling himself without going about it the wrong way?

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 06:31:39 pm »

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 11:19:07 pm »

I found this rather handy.. save it and rotate it
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 11:43:47 am »
What they want to hear in an interview is that you are willing to learn, whatever you lack in experience for the job on offer.

Offline El

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 02:10:53 pm »
great advice, thanks so much for this thread!