Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Tips for Job interviews in NZ.  (Read 10063 times)

Offline Paperdoll

Re: Tips for Job interviews in NZ.
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 08:39:10 am »
You just don't really know from one interview to another.  One interviwer will see confidence and another will see arrogance.  So sometimes, I just don't know?????

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 08:41:38 am »
I guess we'll just have to play it by ear once we start getting called in for interviews!!
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 08:41:38 am »

Offline bardey

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2010, 10:22:29 am »
In New Zealand, you are entitled to take a family member or friend along to a job interview for support.

I read this in the link posted in an earlier part of this thread....Is this true?

Has anyone on the forum had this experience?

rgds
bardey

Offline El

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 10:58:46 am »
I am a little ignorant in this area but I believe it is a maori and pacific islander thing - to get the support of the family. 
We had a security guard bring his whole family with him when he came to do his rounds and I was told I can't really do anything about it! 
 :coffee:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2010, 01:16:49 pm »
and do they all horde into the interview itself and chirp in wherever they want? or wait outside while the interview is being conducted?

Offline spnzjobs

Re: Tips for Job interviews in NZ - SPNZ Recruitment
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2010, 04:53:12 am »
Hi to all migrants going for interviews

1. Research the company well that is interviewing you and be clear in your mind what value you have to offer them

2. Arrive 5 minutes early so that you have a chance to calm down and relax

3. A firm handshake, but no bone crushers

4. Come across friendly, positive, confident but NOT ARROGANT!!!!

5. Avoid politics if you can  and any sensitive gender areas - you must be perceived to be tolerant and accommodating of others' views and preferences and life choices - you are there for the job not for a psychology/sociology political debate or discussion.

6. Never bad mouth any of your previous bosses, even if you were in the right.

7. If you are asked a question and you do not know the answer, be humble and say honestly you don't know and you would appreciate the answer so that you may know for the future  :help:- this shows humility, a willingness and an openness to learn and you then do not come across as someone trying to 'wing the answer', because you are too proud or too scared to to admit you do not know the answer.

8. Never talk money until they talk money - if your agent has suggested that you leave that part to them, then just say that they may discuss that side of matters with the agent. Money must not be seen to be the driving issue, otherwise your chances are history. If you are put on the spot, then I suggest you say you are willing to accept market less 10% , with the understanding that you can get a review after six months and  based on successful performance you are then taken to market level. This gives the employer a small discount, which is a real upfront benefit for them and also it allows them to see, if you are worth market value. If you are going for market upfront and there is a local candidate you will almost always lose out.

9. Once you have said the above mentioned info get off the money topic and focus on career prospects, company growth outlook and growth plans and how you then can provide value to support the company's growth plans.

10. Know your past achievements and be able to explain them in percentages achieved above budgets or loss mitigated or key awards won etc etc, this backs up your value in the functional areas where you potentially represent value to the company.

11. Towards the end of the interview, ask a few questions about the company that shows you have a real interest in their success and growth plans, as at the end of the day you must be able to add value towards those plans and the immediate bottom line.

12. Be familiar with the STAR interview methodology - the HR people love this, although senior top management, seldom if ever go there, but be prepared.

13. If the immigration process comes up tell them you have the process under control and you will not need their involvement, other than for the job offer, as you have an experience registered immigration advisor handling the process. Be sure that you have one and that he or she is competent, so that the company does not have to face hassles with the immigration process, as this will switch them off!!!

14. Don't ramble but be accurate, concise to the point - the interview is often a test of your communications and interrelationship skills.

15. Be ware of the PA, while you wait she or he often sizes you up and her comments to her boss also count, especially if the boss asks for their view, which is almost always taken into account. PAs are trusted confidants, who are often the boss' eyes and ears, especially before the meeting. Be friendly with them, but do not lose your composure and appropriate correctness.

16. You must be seen to be a team player and you will not put your interests above the company or team. In New Zealand team unity and spirit is vital and don't forget you are wanting to join the team, yet still make a positive individual contribution, but not at the expense of the team as this may be perceived to bring disruption to a well functioning team.

I hope the above is helpful and I wish you all well with your interviews.

If you have specific questions regarding employment issues you may email us at info@spnzjobs.co.nz

John
SPNZ Recruitment

Offline spnzjobs

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2010, 06:11:29 am »
In New Zealand, you are entitled to take a family member or friend along to a job interview for support.

I read this in the link posted in an earlier part of this thread....Is this true?

Has anyone on the forum had this experience?

rgds
bardey

My advise in the job interview situation take nobody with you. If you take someone you are likely to be discounted for final consideration. The reasons should be obvious.

John
SPNZ Recruitment

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2010, 06:11:29 am »

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 06:18:02 am »
Great tips John O0 Thanks !!

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 06:29:03 am »
Thanx John   O0 , much appreciated.
SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 07:38:55 pm »
PLEASE HOLD THUMBS FOR US!! After a bumpy start to arriving here - hubby has applied for so many jobs, most, did not even get back to him, a good few, we are still awaiting for the closing date to expire. He traveled to Auckland last week for a job interview - sadly it was not meant to be..... :'(

He was phoned yesterday by a company here in Tauranga, has a interview this morning......please  :pray: for us and sent some good old SA positive vibrations our way..... ;)

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline zerohennie

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 07:52:54 pm »
ai will hold thumbs for you guys

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 03:43:34 am »
Please don't give up hope - we are praying for you guys  :1hug:

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 03:43:34 am »

Offline Nadine n Mini Me

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 05:48:11 am »
Good luck for the interview - the right job will happen, we went through the same things and Wayne got a job offer 7 weeks and I got mine 9 weeks after we arrived.

I will keep my fingers and toes crossed
Nadine and baby Skye

Offline zerohennie

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 07:21:32 am »
PLEASE HOLD THUMBS FOR US!! After a bumpy start to arriving here - hubby has applied for so many jobs, most, did not even get back to him, a good few, we are still awaiting for the closing date to expire. He traveled to Auckland last week for a job interview - sadly it was not meant to be..... :'(

He was phoned yesterday by a company here in Tauranga, has a interview this morning......please  :pray: for us and sent some good old SA positive vibrations our way..... ;)

x

How did the interview go? Hope it went well.