Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Moving to Auckland  (Read 8948 times)

Offline BHuckfield

Moving to Auckland
« on: September 26, 2007, 01:12:31 pm »
OK, so we decided to start the move to NZ about a month or so ago, so pretty much in the infancy of our move, however, it seems that the best way to do this, is to get it done quickly, I think it's easy to remember all the good things about SA...AAANNNYWAY...
I am looking for advice from people living in Auckland, who perhaps came from JHB.
How does it compare, (crime aside) from a quality of life, schooling (I have 3 little ones) and recreational perspective.
My wife and I are looking to begin a new life, without the persistent worry about our own safety, and that of our little one's.
I have heard so much from people living in NZ that are expats, but they are all in Wellington.
Both my wife and I are in IT and I am told that Auckland is a beautiful place, and from the applications that I have sent in, the job market is HUGE in our fields of expertise.
Can anyone help please? I know you probably answered this kinda question a billion times, but I need to understand that we are not in the for the biggest culture shock of our lives.

anyway, thanks in advance.
Brian

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
Re: Moving to Auckland
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 01:28:41 pm »
Howzit Brian, and welcome !  :clap:

We'll be in Auckland in just over a months time, I'm in IT, and living in JHB currently. There are others on here who live in Auckland, so I'm sure they'll be happy to comment.

When are you looking at going over ?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 01:28:41 pm »

Offline BHuckfield

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 01:37:34 pm »
hey Rhodan,

thanks for the quickly reply.
We are making ourselves available for work as from January next year, as we are still in the beginning of the process.
My wife has a VERY promising position that she is applying for in Auckland. they have a serious interview process in NZ, I wonder if it's like that with all jobs.
 wow, I can't believe how quickly everything is happening.  I will remain here until everything has been sealed/sold/handled, if that makes sense.
how long has the whole process taken for you? what IT work will you be doing there?

Offline BHuckfield

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 01:38:26 pm »
HAHAHAHAH!!! oops, I mean quick reply.  :P

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 01:44:15 pm »
We made up our minds to go after attending a seminar back in March this year I think it was. We then settled on going in March 2008 ... but just last week made a wild decision and we are now leaving the end of next month.  8)

I'm in mostly M$ stuff ... support, networking, servers, AD, Exchange etc. It's only been a few days since I started contacting recruiters, and I already have some interviews setup, my CV is being reviewed by a couple of companies, and by the end of this week I'll have had 3 telephone interviews, so it's all happening extremely fast.  :D

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 02:29:47 pm »
Hi there, Auckland ? Ok the northshore make me think of Durbs, narrow and steep roads in the suburbs. The outskirts "suburbs are fairly busy, but not half that busy as in Jo'burg. Been to City centre when we arrived and thought it was a public holiday, with around ten people on the street per block. It was 10 in the morning, and the kiwi's complain about traffic. I drove Auckland rush hour the same as going to the shops on Saterday morning, maybe SA is a bit busier.

For a kiwi to drive 30 min to work is far for SA to to work in 30 min is working next door. Some people like Auckland we just did not like it. It will depend on what you are looking for in way of a life style. All of NZ is great but than Christchurch is beter  >:D

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 02:30:55 pm »
All of NZ is great but than Christchurch is beter  >:D

I see Happy trained you well ...  :2funny:

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 02:30:55 pm »

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 02:41:42 pm »
Welcome Brian. Goodluck with the process. I am jealous of that JOb your wife has lined up.

My sister has been in Auckland (origonal from PTA) for a few years and she loves it. She compares it to Centurion in size and PE in layout and Knysna in scenery....

She is very happy and impressed with the systems, schools and work oppertunity. She is a laywer and hubby in the building industry.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 05:50:36 pm »
Howzit Brian, welcome to the family :clap:

Hope OH gets that job O0

Offline Natashah

• Weltevreden Park
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 07:22:29 pm »
Hi Everyone.

I am Brian's BETTER half  :whistle:

I am also hoping that the interview turns into a job offer.  I have had quite a few with the one company, but they have been fantastic in accomodating me.  They have even said if they offer me a position, they will take care of my work visa........one less hassle for me.

It will be pretty strange though, because I will be leaving my husband and 3 kids for a few months while I settle down in NZ and they tie up any loose ends here in SA.  But it is all in the aid of a better life for my precious kids.

Nice to meet you all.
"Nothing is unachievable - unless you have already decided you cannot achieve it"
Author - Me

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 07:24:15 pm »
hi Brian and Natasha welcome and  :gl:
Your new family here will help support you and get you through the next few months O0

Offline mikencarmen

• Eastern Cape, South Africa
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 07:40:23 pm »
Welcome Brian Natasha.   Natasha  :gl: with the job.  :), keep us updated.

Mike and Carmen

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 07:40:23 pm »

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 07:55:59 pm »
Hi Natasha. Welcome and goodluck with the job....

How old are your kids?

Join us in the ladies lounge for a chat sometime.

Offline Natashah

• Weltevreden Park
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 08:30:59 pm »
Hi all,

I see you are all waking up now.  I am almost ready for bed.  Just waiting for my interview phone call.....

Our kids are Paige (12), Damon (5) and Hannah (2).

Paige and Damon are besides themselves (Paige more than Damon) with our decision to move to NZ.  I think Damon is just looking forward to living close to a beach.

Who has kids, and how did the move affect them?
"Nothing is unachievable - unless you have already decided you cannot achieve it"
Author - Me

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 08:46:52 pm »
Hi

They will love NZ! What a great opportunity for them to get out of SA so young and start a new life in NZ.