Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Moving to Auckland  (Read 8947 times)

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
Re: Moving to Auckland
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 08:47:32 pm »
Howzit Natasha.  :clap:

What line of IT work are you and your hubby in ?

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 08:57:18 pm »
Natasha my kids are 4,4, and 5 and they are also excited abou the beech part. Also I aid they could ride their bikes in the street and to school (better hope we stay in that type of town) and I have been showing them pics on the net....

They are taking a bit of second hand strain from me - I'm working full time and the immigration thing gets a bit stressfull.

But this is the best for all of us and when I go really  :crazy2: hubby takes the kids for a walk and send me to this forum's ladies lounge where I skinner, cry and basically get some TLC.  :D

How will hubby cope all on his own with the three? You must have a strong hubby and even stronger suport system?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 08:57:18 pm »

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 09:03:33 pm »
I still look twice when I see young kids (6 year olds etc) walking the streets alone. It reminds me of SA in the 80s. So safe!

Offline Natashah

• Weltevreden Park
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 09:20:36 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am so excited :clap:
I just had my interview with the company that I have been speaking to over the last few weeks, and..................................... they are putting together an offer for me!!!!!!!!!!!

I am all but jumping up and down on my bed right now.........

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Nothing is unachievable - unless you have already decided you cannot achieve it"
Author - Me

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 09:23:30 pm »
Congrats !  :clap:

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 09:27:07 pm »
awesome! O0

Offline BHuckfield

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 09:28:00 pm »
To answer your question, Natasha is in IT Recruitment, and I am in IT Management.
been right through the IT ranks for me, 14 years. Natasha is a sh** hot recruiter, so we make a good couple  :)

i am going to bide my time in looking for a job for now, although I have applied for a couple of positions at Gen-I and Telecom NZ, but we will see how that pans out.
if the door opens, then it's time to walk through it.
i am so stoked about my wife's offer, it makes things that much more real.
i have NO idea how we are going to sleep tonight with all the excitement.  :clap:

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 09:28:00 pm »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 09:29:27 pm »
Congratulations  :clap:

Offline mikencarmen

• Eastern Cape, South Africa
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 05:07:49 am »
Hi Natasha, our children are 17 (daughter) and 15 (son)......She is exited and just wants to go...forget about doing her matric herenext year, but she also knows she is leaving all her friends behind....Jay was not so sure...he plays rugby....his passion..and has being in the "A" teams since u9...and felt he could make the prov side and as all little boys dream "play in the green and gold"  well that has all changed and now, so he is also keen to get going......

OH wishes you  :gl: and said to tell you to remember all the SA IT if you are going to be involved with IT... :)

We are planning to leave at the end of 2008....which seems like forever.

Carmen

Badprop

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 05:23:58 am »
Congratulations Natasha :clap: 

And Good luck with the new job.   O0

tandl

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 08:16:18 am »
Natasha, I am reading posts very fast here so I apologise if I misread...

We will definitely be looking you up early next year if you are in Auckland... hubby and I are both in IT as well :)

Offline Natashah

• Weltevreden Park
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 09:29:55 am »
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your congrats... much appreciated.

Tandl, what line of IT are you guys in?  We will be in Auckland.
Where are you currently?  I am in Randpark Ridge and I work in Randburg
"Nothing is unachievable - unless you have already decided you cannot achieve it"
Author - Me

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 09:29:55 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 09:45:00 am »
Oh blast, I just typed a whole answer, hit "post" and then didn't wait for it to fully post before hitting the "back" button, and now I lost my post!  :uglystupid2:

Ok... so Welcome to you guys, Brian and Natashah! 

We're in Hamilton, just 1.5 hours south of Auckland.  I think you may like Auckland, but you may not like the cost of living...  Depending on where your job is, you may want to look at either living in the North Shore area (Birkenhead/Glenfield), or in South Auckland areas (don't know those much...)

As for moving with kids... I think kids who come direct from SA, probably find this like heaven.  Unfortunately my kids were born and raised in America, so my eldest is really missing his life there, and just today, saw a pic of his old bedroom, and burst into tears.  I have assured him that he will feel better once his things arrive in the container... oh How I wish that container was here already!!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline ks11

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 11:29:56 am »
Hi,
im on the North Shore in Auckland. I love it here. I wasnt a beach person in SA but I think its great, Every day i cross the Harbour Bridge I feel like im bussing over a dam, there are no waves so the kids can swim safely in the sea. Unless you go to the West coast beaches then you get the surf beaches. 
My kids are 5 and 3 and I let them play outside My 5 year old says he doesnt want to go back to SA. They miss their granny but get your skype connected. Theydo talk about SA but they are enjoying it here and they are coping fine.  Atleast they can be kids here and get outside and dirty, and play at the park and skate at the skate parks and play on the beach, instead of inside out of harms way!
 I leave my doors open i dont lock my garage. In SA we were behind elec fences and 6 ft walls.  I am also here alone but with my two kids, still trying to get DH over.  Oh and dont forget daylight savings this weekend. Not sure how im gonna get my kids to bed when its still light outside!
 :gl: with the new job offer!

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 11:38:58 am »
ks11, are you using public transport when you say "I feel like im bussing over a dam" ... are you using buses ? If so, what do you think of the public transport system ?