Author Topic: Petrol  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Petrol
« on: October 19, 2006, 09:18:15 pm »
Do you have to throw your own petrol in, how does that work?

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
Re: Petrol
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 08:18:36 pm »
Please tell me that there are good old petrol pump atttendants in NZ. I would not even know how to switch on the thing. Thank goodness for Gaby at my local petrol station who even reminds me when to check oil, water & tyre pressures. We really are a spoilt lot here aren't we?
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 08:18:36 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 09:02:51 pm »
From what I have been able to see, there are attendants, but lets hope someone in NZ can confirm this for us.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 04:52:25 am »
Will confirm with my sister, but as far as I can remember from our 2003 trip, we put our own petrol in.   Don't worry Dance, you'll learn quickly enough, believe me!  We had to learn here in the States too, and at first it was a bit daunting for me, so I let hubby do it, but then when he had to work in another city I just had to learn to do it myself.  Now when I was back in SA last year, it felt strange again to let somebody else do it, and I watched that counter like a hawk!  ;D
But really it is very easy, and the machines give instructions on the display panel.  What is also REALLY cool, is you can pay with any credit/debit card right at the .... uh, what do you call that thing?  Tank?...  anyway, you swipe your card, then select which grade of petrol ('gas' here in the States), then lift the lever and put the nozzle in the petrol tank opening (you have to take the petrol cap off first!), and when it has reset itself to zero, you can start pumping.  Sometimes you can put the pump in the opening and then select which grade of petrol you want.  You then also press the button afterwards to request a receipt, and some places (here in the States anyway), have their own carwash service, so you can order a carwash right there while you're paying for your petrol, then once you've tanked up, you drive over to the carwash, type in your code on your receipt and get a carwash to go!  :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 08:08:36 am »
It isn't hard to throw in petrol - when I worked at Sasol, we used to throw in petrol ourselves (my motorbike I used inside the factory, not my personal car unfortunately  :tickedoff:). It is like drawing cash at an ATM - after you have done it once, there is nothing to it.

Offline chantel

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 08:06:23 am »
jip; put in your own petrol and pay inside the kiosk

brad77

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 08:24:15 pm »
I know of 2 stations in Rotorua who employ teenagers to pump petrol if you want them to. I always decline. I like living in the First world where you do things yourself. It is fun! I did struggle at first but getting used to doing it now.

The one I go to you pay inside then put the petrol. Big problem in NZ with people who fill up and drive off without paying. CCTV usually catched your number plate though.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 08:24:15 pm »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 10:07:05 pm »
In the UK having not being used to doing it myself I used to always go over the amount I wanted by a cent or two or ten :-[ Luckily the garage owner knew me and I always settled later, then started carring loose change in the car ;)
Here in NZ you type into the pump how much you want and then it stops automatically, thank goodness ;D
Some places are pre-pay, so you run in and pay then put in your fuel.
Like brad77, says, some places have attendence that offer help, but I too decline :)

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 09:26:17 am »
Cool, I much rather do it myself.

At least then I don't have some fool scratching the side of my car by leaving the petrol cap dangling, or having petrol gushing out down the side of the car cos' they overfilling it in a rush !  :knuppel2:

brad77

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 09:27:38 am »
Petrol is $1.51 a litre here at the mo for 91 unleaded. What is it in SA?

i know petrol is due to come down here soon cause the kiwi dollar is strong.

Offline Shirls

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 12:47:37 pm »
oh to live in a country where the price of petrol comes down!!

Down at the coast we are paying around R6.60 for petrol... and i have heard it is going up on the 2nd of May by at least 40cents!

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 10:32:47 pm »
How do you guys manage to live in SA with everything costing so much :-\

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 10:32:47 pm »

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict