Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Bok team must be a true reflection of SA  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
Bok team must be a true reflection of SA
« on: October 18, 2007, 08:20:52 am »
South African rugby officials have made it clear that they would like to see more non-white players in the Springbok team, but team manager Zola Yeye agrees that the jury is still out on the best way to achieve that.

"It's not about changes, it's about plans," he told reporters on Wednesday as the Boks prepared for the World Cup final against England.

The Bok team for Saturday will include only two blacks - wings Bryan Habana and JP Pietersen.

"I don't want to talk about big changes and say something like that, because it becomes so ominous when you talk about big changes, as if the sky is going to fall. When you transform, sometimes it becomes painful, sometimes it becomes joyous, so that's the nature of the beast."

South African media have already speculated the most likely change is the introduction of "quotas" - whereby every Bok team would include a minimum number of black players - from as early next season.

"It's a work in progress," the team manager said. "As life goes on, we need to shed some of the things that have happened, so that tomorrow will be charged by history.

"Our country is a democracy, it's a new dispensation, it's moving on, it's transforming itself as it goes on. This team is not customised for any kind of race group within our society.

"We're a diverse society in South Africa, so what is important is for us to meet those unmet needs."

There have also been rumours that the next coach will be black, fuelled in part by Jake White's recent comments that the World Cup final would almost certainly be his last match in charge, but Yeye insists nothing has been decided yet.

"Whatever team, whether soccer, rugby or cricket, mirrors our society, becomes a true reflection of our society," he said.

"We may not achieve that 100 percent, because nothing is 100 percent in life, so it's important that at least we don't do things that clash as the people of South Africa. Whatever we do, we have to do it prudently.

"Role models come out of sport, so it's really important that we take heed of that and we empower and affirm our youth. Life is an opportunity - let everybody benefit from it." - Reuters

Source

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
Re: Bok team must be a true reflection of SA
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:26:43 am »
"Whatever team, whether soccer, rugby or cricket, mirrors our society, becomes a true reflection of our society," he said.

A true reflection of our society .... I guess that means SA sport will have to play all their games at home, seeing as Customs for Oz/ NZ / UK won't let in rapists, murderers and terrorists ?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:26:43 am »

Badprop

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 08:32:27 am »
Still the last year I support the Boks.  Next year I will support the AB 3rd team darts players.  They need some support in the pubs.

Sorry guys but these political jada jada jada that sounds like a broken record is getting boring.  The changes will be enforced we all know that, so sugar coating it and hiding it is sheep's skin still doesn't change the spots on the leopard.

worsie

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 09:51:18 am »
was watching tv here the other night, one of the NZ presenters chirped that he thinks its good that they now forcing the issue in SA about making the team more colorful. He had the idea that its because SA have not allowed black players to take part for so long, that now it needs to be forced into the team.

Really sad, i have always been a bok supporter, don't think I will ever be able to support NZ 100%, even though i will support them right to the finals, if they playing SA however, i will never be able to wish them to win, I think in the end i will always support my home country.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 10:23:23 am »
thank goodness I don't have to put up with this *** for much longer :clap:

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 04:27:27 am »
Right on the money Worsie. The Bokke will always stay in my heart but this will be the last time I support them as strongly. For me from next year it will AB's and hopefully they will get to a stage where we will nothaveto try and sell them on Trade Me.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 08:36:52 am »
:2funny:

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 08:36:52 am »

worsie

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 08:44:49 am »
Right on the money Worsie. The Bokke will always stay in my heart but this will be the last time I support them as strongly. For me from next year it will AB's and hopefully they will get to a stage where we will nothaveto try and sell them on Trade Me.

Well I am already an AB supporter, problem though is what happens if SA face the AB's, then I don't know!

Today I wore my bok jersey to work, people, its the easiest way to meet other south africans. Just wear your jersey, you won't believe the amount of people that spoke to me in the streets today. Was actually getting a bit tiresome, bloody south africans...

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 08:47:14 am »
 ;D

:gl: for tomorrow Worsie you must be so excited to see your family. :clap:

worsie

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 08:56:38 am »
Thanks, yea its very exciting.
I am cleaning the house, so between having my head halfway down a toilet, scrubbing brush in hand, toilet duck in the other, typing on this forum, and telling my 4 year old over skype to be a good girl on the plane today, i am trying to get this house all clean. My wife is a clean freak, not just your average clean freak either, she really hates dust!!! aaahhhh the joys of having that maid, 80 bucks a day, it was so worth it!!!! dam i miss her right now, maybe i should fly her over and sponsor her!!!! HAHA

Last time i attempted stuff like this, i was a batchelor living in a little 1 bedroom house.

I am leaving tomorrow morning, 7am for sydney! they arrive at 13h30. We then got half a day to kill before we fly back to wellington. Dam i am excited, the last 3 months of stress, stress more stress are about to pay off big time...

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 09:01:58 am »
Worsie, I am so glad for you!! Good luck with all the scrubbing and cleaning. Relax you have another 10hours to scrub and clean before you fly  >:D.

Happy reunion!!!  :clap:

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 09:13:39 am »
Good luck for your reunion tomorrow.  The waiting will all be worth it soon.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 09:13:39 am »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 09:29:34 am »
Eish, I can believe you miss the maid now  :D

Have a great reunion  :clap:

Did you have to wait a certain time before wife and newbie could fly again?

worsie

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 09:35:53 am »
Eish, I can believe you miss the maid now  :D

Have a great reunion  :clap:

Did you have to wait a certain time before wife and newbie could fly again?

Thanks dudes, yea my wife was not allowed to fly for 6 weeks after the birth. Baba would have been fine.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 10:35:02 am »
6 weeks  :buck2:  :'(