Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: What don't you like about NZ  (Read 6703 times)

Offline Amber

Re: What don't you like about NZ
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 10:27:43 am »
So, I am quite pleased that there have been no shockers so far.  As far as "people problems" are concerned I think most of them can be put down to human nature. The dampness in the homes can be combatted by using a de-humidifier and as for the driving....Oh, well - its all sweet!
Amber
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline Marian

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 10:47:06 am »
My daughter walked out of an abusive relationship and all her Kiwi collegues helped set her up in a flat with everything she needed. From crockery, TV, matress, cutlery, bedding, you name it and they also came around with food and beer and partied the night away so that she would not be lonely. They are very kind people to have done that for her. Even seeing that she had a lift to work everyday. They really took care of her. Today she is on her feet, with all her own stuff and a really nice kiwi guy. They came over for a visit in August so that I we could meet him and now stay in Whangaparoa in a semi by the sea.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 10:47:06 am »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 11:10:54 pm »
 :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

You guys are so funny!! I have been away from SA for so long that all these things seem normal for us, and after living in the UK for 4 years, the kiwi's are a very welcome relief O0 :clap:

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 09:10:38 am »
so many old people on those go-cart wheel chairs ...say on egoing thru the burger king drive thru the other day  :P

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 05:58:13 am »
So sounds like heaven to me - even with ALL? the unlikeables.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Gerhardvdb1

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 09:55:10 am »
I agree  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 11:51:43 am »
What DONT I like?

Hmm....

As Eileen said, HELLISHLY expensive electricity!
Weeds... guys, the weather here means the weeds grow faster than anything here!
Houses that aren't insulated...  I really can't understand that a nation that lives in this kind of coldish weather doesn't insist on insulation... (well they do now... the last what... 4 years?)  :o
We do find that some people here have the attitude of "it's good enough", when coming to giving service, and don't jump to give the best/perfect service, like we were used to in the USA.  I.e. the plumber came to fix some stuff in the rental.  When he left, the toilet still leaked, but much less than before (good enough improvement, eh?), and the shower head didn't leak every 3rd second.  He replaced the whole shower head unit, but it still leaked.  Not so regularly though... it was intermittent...  (good enough, eh?).  The gardener didn't come and de-weed the lawn, he just sprayed some weedkiller around the edge.  Didn't tidy up the dead bushes.  But took our little new weeding tool.  Good enough? I don't think so!
Houses that are behind houses down long narrow driveways that are shared with other houses behind other houses.  Get that?  You get it a lot here.  Not everybody has their own street-front driveway.  My sister lives down one of those.  You see the driveway entrance from the street, with 6 mailboxes indicating the houses stuck away behind there.  And then you don't have enough parking for your guests (or sometimes even your own family members!
4 Bedroom houses with only one toilet/bathroom.
Many 4 bedr houses with only a single garage, or none at all, and many not attached to house.
Oh and houses are expensive too! 

You know, if you're a pessimist you could really find a ton of things to complain about, but all these things that are mentioned here, are things that one can work around, learn to adapt to, or look to avoid. 

As for the people... I cannot complain.  We have had the friendliest people here, and those that aren't so friendly have not been true Kiwi's.  Even Jan's boss came on Saturday with his own trailer and helped us move, and then told Jan not to hurry back too soon, but to make sure he was well enough before coming back to work!  How cool is that?!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 11:51:43 am »

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 06:30:04 am »
What DONT I like?

Hmm....

As Eileen said, HELLISHLY expensive electricity
Geez, Colleen. Got the next account. Although it is better, it is still high enough to make my eyes water....  :'(  :-\

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 07:57:29 am »
Well, I phoned the meter readings in this morning to give them the final readings, and they said the final balance is only $150 somthing..  What a relief!  But I must admit, that it is not for a full month, and also, I have tried to make more use of the sun with hangin the washing out, instead of using the dryer, and also the warmer weather means we haven't needed the heater so much.  Still have to figure out how to work things in this house, so haven't done a load of washing yet, and I desperately need to!  :help:
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 11:48:54 pm »
OK,  so there is one thing I've decided I HATE about NZ.  Cobwebs.  They are EVERYWHERE... and with houses that aren't insulated, you get the silly 8-legged buggers inside too.  Leave your car outside overnight, and you're bound to have to clean cobwebs off your sideview mirror!  I just spent half an hour (or more?) cleaning cobwebs off our balcany and cleaning the windows of the kitchen and lounge sliding doors.  Boy oh boy!  I remember on the day before we moved in, I was doing a walk-through with the agent, and she told the lady to please make sure the cobwebs were cleaned off... the dear old lady chuckled and said, "you'll be cleaning those off tomorrow again!".  Well, I left it... for 2 weeks now.... and what a colony of cobwebs I had to clear off today!  At least this house is somewhat more insulated than the rental was, so I don't have quite as many spiders on the inside of the house, but I do have to be the brave hero at least once a day, or Heidi freaks out.  These are mostly harmless "Daddy-longlegs" spiders.  One does get the shorter legged, jumpy ones too. 

And there's apparently only one spider called the white-tail, which does bite, but it's poison doesn't really affect us.

These are the most common spiders here:  The Daddy Longlegs.  But they are harmless, as described HERE.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 11:57:05 pm by zatexnz »
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 01:26:28 pm »
eish Colleen, you are making my skin crawl - I will gladly jump off the edge of a cliff (with bungy cord attached off course), but no spiders for me thank you very much.

tandl

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 06:27:02 pm »
Ditto Nolan. 

What about cockroaches though? They are my absolute worst!!

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 06:27:02 pm »

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 07:23:47 pm »
Sorry TandL. You do find them here!! Luckily they have good 'dupa' to sort it out!

Offline Natashah

• Weltevreden Park
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 07:57:08 pm »
Oh my goodness..... I am so scared of spiders.... I couldnt even look at those pictures.
"Nothing is unachievable - unless you have already decided you cannot achieve it"
Author - Me

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 09:36:46 pm »
I hate sandflies :tickedoff:

Give me spiders anyday, but sandflies :knuppel2:

I got bitten again yesterday (some of you my remember, I have a rare allergy to them, I swell up terribly and it hurts) but it seems the Chch sandflies aren't as mean to me as the Auckland ones. I don't swell as much, but they still hurt. I tossed and turn so much last night, and nothing relieves the pain :(