Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: GPS  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
Re: GPS
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 08:26:38 pm »
It's a very basic entry level Uniden. (model no: GNS8350)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 09:28:07 pm »
HERE is the link to the open source NZ GPS maps.

We have had our GPS now for almost a year and I can tell you, we drive around a lot and it is even invaluable when driving around in places you think you know O0

It doesn't just tell you where to go, it tells you where the closest petrol station is, what local attractions there are, where to find an ATM, shopping Mall, etc. Then most have the ability to load mp3's and photos as well.

When immigrating, NZIS should actually issue you with one along with your Visa, that is how invaluable they are.

Damn I am starting to sound like a GPS salesman.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 09:28:07 pm »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 10:30:44 pm »
 ;D  In fact, when Mags said it detects the infrared speed traps and cameras, even I have started to get very interested!  Uniden, huh?  Hmm... didn't even know they did GPS models!  Shall have to tell my hubby... he's the spender in our family... very easy to convince him to spend on a nifty little gadget!  :whistle: ::)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline rayzaman

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 03:34:49 am »
Hi Guys, just bought the NAVMAN S30 over the weekend at the annual BOYS TOYS show here in Auckland
$530 on special- usually $599
checking my credit card slip it reflects as R2745
Only has NZ software- Its a beauty

The S30 has all of the features that you could ever want in a simple to use sat nav unit. The sleek body houses a 3.5" touch screen, and the latest maps for New Zealand.

regards

Ray

"your attitude determines your altitude"

Offline ks11

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 09:47:10 am »
My DH is Mr Gadget, I was instructed to buy one when i landed, if they were selling at the airport i was to buy one.  You can go on a drive to where ever, going where the road takes you and when you are finised you select 'go home' and voila! it is soo much easier, you dont have to get lost, it takes away that added frustration of getting lost in a strange city.  Definately buy one when you are here as i think the maps alone cost the same as the whole unit with the maps.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 08:14:14 am »
Like the chick on the couch said, we have a garmin. I have always been mr reliable in the good old RS of A, but if it wasn't for our nifty little gadget I would have seen me *** a couple of times. So please take a tip, get one if you could. It helps alot. This place doesn't make it easy with all its water. There is water all over. You cannot use it as a beacon or reminder like in SA.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline rayzaman

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 09:51:46 am »
The NAVMAN S30 that I paid $530 for is on special at Dick Smith for $499 fo rthe next few days
regards

Ray

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 09:51:46 am »

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 10:06:52 am »
rayzaman, how are you finding the performance of the NAVMAN  ? Does it bring up the locations quickly when you enter them ?

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 10:44:56 pm »
Mags, that Uniden one you mentioned is on Special now at Dick Smiths for $388! 

Now if we weren't still looking for a lounge suite and dining room suite, and....  then I'd convince Jan to get one.  But truth be told, we've really not needed one.  The usual fold-out maps have done us great, and they're free from the estate agents.  I think we now have 4 of Hamilton!  I always carry mine in the car.  When I have to go somewhere new, I quickly look it up on the map, memorize the route and then set off, with the map open beside me, just in case... I check it at the red lights.   :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 11:13:46 pm »
Mags, that Uniden one you mentioned is on Special now at Dick Smiths for $388! 
Sies Colleen! Mens maak nie so met maatjies nie! Aaagggg, already got my money's worth  O0

Offline rayzaman

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 10:15:11 am »
Colleen,
Not having a GPS is like not knowing the benefits of DSTV vs TV1,2and 3 back home. We can all do without it but life is just that bit better with it :clap: Believe me, having a GPS talking to you telling you were to go is just the coolest travel accessory ever. 

regards

Ray

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 06:34:19 pm »
I agree, Ray  :clap:

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 06:34:19 pm »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 04:42:18 am »
Ok, so is the voice tinny, or hunky, or sexy?  ;D
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline rayzaman

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2007, 05:11:21 am »
Take your pic, i have Veronica on mine - a very well spoken pommie babe who knows her way around Auckland pretty darn well!
come to think of it I wonder how she got to know all the nooks and crannies so well :heeha:
regards

Ray

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 03:47:15 am »
We've got Karin, some Auzzie chick that battles her *** off with the Maori names, it is a lot of fun to try and get the right word after she cocked it up. Love it to bits. It is not a cool accessory, it is a must have to survive.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)