Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Domestic Help  (Read 4375 times)

Offline Carmel

Domestic Help
« on: October 30, 2007, 01:22:53 pm »
At the expense of sounding spoilt and lazy......... here goes.

How do you cope without domestic workers?  I mean coming from a country like SA where some people just cannot do without them.  They clean, cook, bath the kids, iron, mow the lawn etc etc etc.  Fortunately for me , I do not rely on my domestic worker that heavily but I must say, I cannot remember the last time I actually ironed something.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Re: Domestic Help
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 01:36:10 pm »
Hmmm... you will miss her!  But you get into it eventually and you survive! (you learn to buy clothes that don't need ironing... or use the dryer (expensive on electricity though) :)

You will definitely need Flylady to help you get organized though!  O0
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 01:36:10 pm »

Offline Sandramiles

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 02:21:33 pm »
Oooh I agree - ironing is the worst, I don't mind all other cleaning but ironing is my absolute pet hate.......

Badprop

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 02:40:18 pm »
Found sitting in front of the TV while ironing makes me forget the hateful job.  But washing the floors is the pits.  I'll tile the bathroom, or fix the lighting or bake a cake(kids are going, oh please no!!) but washing the floor turns me into the Adams family all wrapped into one.

Offline mikencarmen

• Eastern Cape, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 03:28:29 pm »
zatexnz thank for the great link! As for the ironing....no... :eek:, don't even know how to use one..LOL... :whistle:....

C

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 06:20:15 pm »
:smitten: my nanny/ head cook and bottle washer....

But I wil not miss the emty jam in the fridge, the 2 loafs of bread per day, the coffee and panado bill..... and I might actually be able to find something in the same place twice! ;D

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 10:44:15 pm »
Carmen, I could give you lessons!  ;D
Or the other option - convince your hubby that you will now absolutely HAVE to own an Elna Press!  O0 :whistle:
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 10:44:15 pm »

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 06:58:48 am »
Yip, I will not be able to survive without my press. Carmen if you can afford it, get one (I got the Empisal at a fraction of the cost of an Elna) and bring it over in the container!

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 07:41:25 am »
Bring one for me too, pretty please?  :whistle:
oh, and sorry, I misread - Carmel not Carmen... boy, I'm gonna have to keep my head on straight here!!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline mikencarmen

• Eastern Cape, South Africa
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 08:21:58 am »
Will add to my evergrowing Christmas List :whistle:.... How much are the lessons by the way zatexnz, perhaps I will have to send Mike for a few lessons....LOL....Hmmmm could be his Christmas pressie... :)

Offline Natashah

• Weltevreden Park
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 09:03:14 am »
Oh my - I don't know how I am going to cope with three little kids and no help :uglystupid2:
"Nothing is unachievable - unless you have already decided you cannot achieve it"
Author - Me

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 09:24:46 am »
Nathasha, Everyone needs to chip in and help. Even the young ones. If they just pick up their toys it helps and it teach them that everyone has to do their bit.

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 09:24:46 am »

Offline Natashah

• Weltevreden Park
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 09:30:12 am »
Eileen, my kids are so spoilt they dont know what picking up toys is.

I guess now that my last day at work is here, I better start training the kids :knuppel2:
"Nothing is unachievable - unless you have already decided you cannot achieve it"
Author - Me

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 09:32:19 am »
My kids were just as spoilt, but they really learn quickly!  ::)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 09:36:21 am »
We gotta train the family to help... get the kids to help dusting and vacuuming (my kids think it's great fun to vacuum - even if they don't do it perfectly, every bit helps!).  Having a dishwasher sure helps, and many homes have them here (not all though).  And dear ol' Flylady has certainly helped me to find some strategies for tackling the job.  I just don't sign up for her emails, as that can get a bit much after a while.  I just check on her website, what zone we're in for the week, and what the daily cleanup special is, etc.  Takes a while to get it adjusted to your own family's lifestyle, but her principles work!
And put perfection in the bin!  Nobody is going to want to help if you're always correcting them, or telling them they did it wrong.  So show them how to do it, and let them go from there.  For the kids, what I found works too, is to set up a chart (use pictures for the real little ones), of what they need to do - including "brush teeth", "potty time", etc.  Let them tick off on the chart as they get something done.  Then at the end of the day they can get stars for achievements.  I translated those stars into money at the end of the month (4 stars = $1), and so they were earning money at the same time!  For smaller kids, the money rewards may have to be daily or weekly...
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen