Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Bank Accounts  (Read 6319 times)

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
Re: Bank Accounts
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2008, 08:43:34 pm »
No, it's well under your allowable quota.

Offline Durbschick1

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2008, 09:38:49 pm »
Than you Eileen, the stress is getting to us big time now...

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2008, 09:38:49 pm »

Offline Blue

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 02:09:51 pm »
I have a small problem. We are waiting for my pension money to pay out. We have been waiting from February but it seems that it will only be paid into my savings account once we have left for our "holiday".  >:( Now for some advice. How do I get my money? It will be less than R500k. Using my debt card will be very expensive. Not enough time for the tax clearance as well.  :confused: Any advice please.

tandl

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 02:40:52 pm »
We just did our tax clearance and it took a couple of days.  (OK OK they LOST it the first time and we had to do it again.... but the second time was quick  :whistle: )

Make sure you give it to someone personally if you can.  Otherwise it can get lost in the system somewhere...

Offline Blue

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 03:02:33 pm »
According to the bank, I must have a certificate from Tresoury indicating my pension total amount. After I have the certificate, I can apply for the Tax Clearance Certificate. The problem, getting a pension certifcate form Tresoury will be a challenge. They can not give me an indication on where in the process my pension payout is. According to them they do not have a process. I have been phoning every week, and I must admit it is a bigger challenge than I thought it would be. Will I be able to apply for my Tax Clearance without the pension certificate? :confused:

tandl

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 03:08:21 pm »
Hmm.. I guess not.  See, SARS just needs the proof that you do actually HAVE the money you say you have.  And I guess thats where the pension certificate falls in.

Its so frustrating being at someone else's mercy.  Good luck!

Offline Blue

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2008, 07:56:39 am »
Did anyone use US$ Traveller cheques? I was advised by the American Express manager to make use of the US$ treveller cheques. According to him there are quite a few places that do take these cheques. Will I have any problems with ANZ bank?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2008, 07:56:39 am »

Offline Amber

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 08:54:03 am »
I could be wrong but I don't see the advantage of taking USD because you will pay to have ZAR changed to USD and then USD changed to NZD - the fluctuation in the exchange rate and commissions you pay will not be worth it IMHO
Amber
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline WendyH

• Certified Addict
  • Otorohanga, Waikato
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 10:12:26 am »
If you do decide to use USD travellers cheques you won't have a problem, we used them to open our bank account here.
EOI selected - 21 May 2008
ITA received - 1 July 2008
ITA lodged - 14 July 2008
PR approved in principle 04 May 2009
Received passports with stickers - 03 June 2009