Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: How long....................  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Natashah

• Weltevreden Park
How long....................
« on: November 12, 2007, 09:17:34 pm »
Did it take all of you to decide that you wanted to immigrate to NZ like from the first time you started talking about it

What were the deciding factors?

We have been talking about it for about a year, and actively doing something about it for the last 4 months.
"Nothing is unachievable - unless you have already decided you cannot achieve it"
Author - Me

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
Re: How long....................
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 09:30:49 pm »
We started talking about it one morning in March, after being frustrated with SA, went to a seminar about 2 weeks later, then researched some agents and chose ours and started getting the ball rolling, then one night at the end of September we decided we had enough, and ended up here in Auckland at the end of October.

:D

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 09:30:49 pm »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 10:32:01 pm »
10 years?  No... more like 14....
Before we got married, Jan had mentioned NZ.  Then after we were married a few months, we went to one of those seminars to just check it out.  But we weren't really ready then for a big move - too newly married, and Jan's dad was ill and needed us nearby.  Then 3 years down the line, a friend went to California, and phoned us a few months later saying Jan should come over and try there.  He went on a two week holiday, went for an interview, but didn't get the job, cos they'd taken too long to make decisions... but the bug bit.  The USA was so "1st world" in comparison to life in SA.  So for a year, all I could hear was "This works better in the USA, that works better...".  Eventually I sat him down and said, "we either make our happiness here in SA and you shut up about America, or we leave this place."  We then discussed seriously where our future was going, and decided that SA didn't have much to offer for either our future or that of our future kids.  So then we talked about USA or NZ.  We decided USA because it's bigger, more choice, and stronger economy.  Took us a year to get there after making the decision.  We landed with a work permit for Jan and nothing for me (accompanying visa - they're not so nice as NZ or Canada that still gives  the spouse an open work permit).  We tried for years to get our PR (known in USA as the Green Card).  Finally in January this year, we heard the whole application had failed.  It took us two seconds to decide on NZ at that point.  From there to us arriving in NZ with PR in our passports was 6.5 months.   :heeha:

We celebrate our 14 anniversary this December 16th.  :clap:
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 12:08:47 am »
Rhodan, I didnt know that you were in NZ. Where are you and how are you. Sorry, Im sure you can tell just how much I've missed...and I am rather lazy to go reading all the posts right now.

I think I decided 3 years ago that I would like to leave. Unfortunaltey for us we couldnt as OH didnt have enough experience. I started applying only last year. I think I have always wanted to leave SA. I was never allowed to live the way I wanted to. The decision to move to NZ was quite easy as we had family here and they were raving about the place and were not lying I can tell you that much. NZ was everything they said it was and more. The important thing is that if it is within your means and you have made the decision to leave, you should not procrastinate...better to just get on with it and do it.
"never let the fear of striking out,keep you from playing the game"

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 04:25:24 am »
5 months from deciding to arriving O0

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 06:13:45 am »
All in all about 1 year.  First looked at US, can't get in.  Then OZ but hubby hates the Ozzies so decided NZ and wanted to stay for 5 years until and use it as a stepping stone to OZ.  Went for LSD and no way will we move to OZ.  NZ grows on you like moss. 

BUT said before the kids were there, about 12 years ago, I will not bring up my kids in this country.

Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 07:15:16 am »
From first starting to discuss to leaving on permanent holiday = 13 months

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 07:15:16 am »

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:00:23 am »
Rhodan, I didnt know that you were in NZ. Where are you and how are you.

Hey Naz, no worries, it was a quick decision to come over, arrived 30th October. We are currently on the Shore, Torbay. All good so far !  O0

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 10:13:17 am »
I had always wanted to leave SA ever since a trip to Isreal in std 6, but that was just a wish. However when our daughter was born in 2001 I realised that the time was right to leave. It did however take OH longer to realise that there is no future here. So for me the process has taken around 6 years.

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 11:14:38 pm »
I know how you feel mate, that's how I was feeling to, and had to get out before it got any worse.

At least we outta there now !  :clap:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 08:04:16 am »
I think we all have gone through exactly the same process as you Brian. I was also one of the pro-New SA bunch and now I hate this country and it's people with a passion. I put the blame squarely on the ANC, they blew their chance

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 08:16:06 am »
Know exactly how you feel. I was filled with such hatred for them every single day. I am so pleased that I have been able to let go of all that and I am not longer angry.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 08:16:06 am »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 08:45:21 am »
Roto you give me lots of hope :clap:

I hope that it doesn't take me too long to 'normalise' after we land

Offline TheRindels

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 08:48:34 am »
Don't hold back! :devil2: Hey we're missing you guys for dinner - not so much fun anymore!!! :(

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 09:08:18 am »
You soon forget about them. It is a pleasure not to see them or to have to listen to their anti-white drivel on radio and TV, and share the roads with savage drivers in death traps.