Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Be an informed immigrant  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Be an informed immigrant
« on: October 25, 2006, 10:15:50 pm »
It is all good and well reading up about the country, etc as part of your research. When you arrive you are going to go through a period where everything is new regardless.

From the items on the shelves to the people on the TV to the accents.

Get yourself into the culture & feel of NZ while still in SA as much as possible. You do this by listening to online radio stations and reading the NZ news everyday.

In the My Move section there are links to online radio stations and daily news.

In the beginning you will find that you may loose what the announcer is saying because of his / her accent or have no clue where the traffic accident is that they are talking about.

But you will find that it doesn't take long before their accents feel normal.

If you print out a map of the area  and try and find the street they are talking about, you will soon learn where the main roads are in that town / city.

If you read the NZ news daily you will soon get a feel for what is happening in NZ in an everyday situation. Names will start to make sense as you can place them as sportsmen or politicians, etc.

Offline Karin

Re: Be an informed immigrant
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 09:30:38 am »
You know, i cannot thank you enough for this information & Web site.  I am really going to rely on your info for the next year and without it i might have gone a bit hestrerical :crazy2:

At least now i can try and sleep at night instead of worrying about silly things at 2 in the morning.

Thank you :)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 09:30:38 am »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 03:09:35 pm »
Hi Karin, we are all undergoing the same journey & feelings, so we are all going to learn from each other. I see it this way - we have no family in NZ, so when we arrive the folks we have met here will become our "family".

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 04:17:29 pm »
Karin welcome  to the club!
Yes as Nolan says we are all in the same boat. Nolan thanks for the advice. I find myself sitting bolt upright at 3am worrying about silly little things. Mostly its will I be able to prepare the meals that my family are accustomed to? What if I cannot get all the ingredients? Will I be able to cope with the crazy right hand turn rule when driving?

Hopefully fo me all will be better when I get back from my LSD trip but as you see Karin we are all in danger of becoming stark raving mad before the end of this process. Just stay focused and know that others are in this with you. ;) ;D
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 05:31:16 pm »
Speaking of the right hand turn rule, I see that they are going to drop that rule soon, so maybe by the time we get there we won't have to worry about it.

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 05:08:17 am »
Nolan I'm not sure which wil be worse.
I sort of picture a nation of people getting as confused about NOT having the rule as we are about having to deal with it. Traffic flow could get interesting for a while for the locals but what a pleasure for immigrants as I have read on other forums the many complaints about trying to get used to it.
 ::)My sister in law said that for her it was a case of wait till someone points out that you are an idiot and holding up the traffic before going. At least that was her coping mechanism for thefirst couplre of weeks till she got more comfortable with it.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 08:52:32 am »
I can just picture it :  :tickedoff: move on lady..

;D

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 08:52:32 am »