Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Credit Ratings  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Credit Ratings
« on: October 19, 2006, 10:06:05 pm »
Will my credit rating move over with me to NZ?

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: Credit Ratings
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 03:22:12 pm »
No, you will have to start from scratch again unfortunately and build up a new credit record.  It won't do any harm to get a copy of your ITC report or a letter of reference from your bank before you leave though. That is to say if you are officially immigrating.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 03:22:12 pm »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:39:58 am »
Of course if you change your lifestyle and vow never to go into debt, you may not need to worry about credit rating - you only need that if you're going to need credit.... i.e. debt?

We were sold into the myth here in the States that we HAD to build up "credit rating" by going making a loan at the bank using our own good money as collateral, instead of buying cash.  Now we know better.  Unless you're going to buy into the lifestyle of living on your credit card instead of buying cash, you don't really need to worry about this.  Don't start your new life in your new country bound by debt.  If you can, take enough to at least buy yourself a little "get-me-around" vehicle, and take along enough stuff to just get along in life to start off with, until you start earning $$.  Like somebody already said, some basic tableware, etc.   :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen