Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Rand Dollar Comparison???  (Read 2482 times)

Offline potatoman

Rand Dollar Comparison???
« on: December 03, 2007, 02:45:57 pm »
hello, I am new to this site, but planning a move soon. (like the info I am getting here)

I know this is a very difficult question to ask, but say I have R5000 iny pocket, how much will it be worth there in spending terms??

I realized that second hand car prices seems low, however, how does stuff like bread, groceries, insurance, public transport, taxes etc compare to in SA. Also salary wise. I also found that on ANZ site, when calculating your max bond, you have to enter the amount of dependants and how many cars you have. Does that have a influence on the max bond, what is the implications of having three cars on taxes etc. Hope someone can share some light.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but sock puppets, sock puppets really scare me.....

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
Re: Rand Dollar Comparison???
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 03:55:28 pm »
Hi Potatoman and Welcome :clap:

Allot of questions and all of them good ones.

The exchange rate is 5.23 to the NZD today.  So R5000 will be round about $956.  How much it is worth in spending terms is debatable.  It depends on how much rent, car payments and other factors are.  Roughly you need a $1000 a week to live comfortably, but again peoples shopping baskets are very different, so rule of thumb.

As far as the shopping basket goes there has been a few discussions about it here, 5 pages full of good info.

Can't help with the taxes, sorry. :)

Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 03:55:28 pm »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 09:23:29 pm »
Welcome potatoeman :clap:

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 09:42:22 pm »
Welcome potatoman! 
Take into consideration that your rent for a reasonable home is going to be around $350 - $450 per WEEK.  Electricity is very expensive too, budget on between $50-$100 per week.
I'd say around $150 - $200 per week for groceries for a small family (also depends on how much you cook, vs how much pre-made stuff you buy - cooking is cheaper, and how much sweets and extras you like adding). 
Petrol is around $80 to fill a 40 litre tank, which depending on how much driving you do, will be used up within around a week.
Then there's comms... You want telephone and internet to keep in contact with your family overseas (and on here of course!  ;) ), so add in another $100.
So out of your $956, you have about $100 to put into savings, depending on how strict you are with your spending.
Take into consideration that when you first land, there may be quite a few things you need to get to set yourself up again. 
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 10:16:46 pm »
Welcome to the site Potatoman :clap:

Offline potatoman

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 05:39:26 am »
This helps me a lot. My plan is to move,  with the wife and 2kids, but have a bit of a fresh start, so it will only be our clothes going with. This will possibly only happen midyear 2008. What I gather, it seems that about R5000 or $1050 would be bearly enough to survive on a weekly basis =R20k per month. Well, comparing to Holland, it cost me R100k for three months. One more thing..pls. I am looking for a pay comparison, or salary survey. I don't want to say yes for a job where they pay me half of what I am worth since I am a newby there. Pointers would help. Specifically in IT and Hairdressing. :blush:
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but sock puppets, sock puppets really scare me.....

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 08:58:41 am »
Hi Potatoman and welcome.
There is a couple of websites which give you the salary averages.  I think seek.co.nz might be one.
I am sure someone will jump in with the right link.  It has also been discussed extensively on here before so read, read, read. :clap:

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 08:58:41 am »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 12:37:02 pm »

Offline leealexa

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 03:55:11 am »
hello check out this site daily in order to get your money always ask for the money on a wednesday and pick it up on a friday. But keep in mind the caos in RSA will affect the transfer and exchange, http://www.x-rates.com/d/NZD/table.html good luck

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 06:11:36 pm »
Hi leealexa thanks for the link  O0 - ja our rand is getting weaker and weaker  :thumbdown:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 11:17:54 pm »
there was an article in the Rapport this Sunday saying that the Rand is gonna fall big time against the USD - optimistic estimates is to around R8.20c so our few Rands are gonna take a beating this year :'(

I worked out that we will be losing around R65 000 on the profit on our house if that happens

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 07:21:26 am »
 >:( That's bad news Nolan!  We can probably only go over in 2 yrs time (end 2009/ beg 2010) and looking at the papers, I wonder if we are going to get out in time!  But, as my DH says, at least they have to try and keep things going for 2010 world cup!  So, that's in our favour.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 07:21:26 am »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 11:38:58 am »
the irony is that a weak rand is actually good for 2010 as it makes it more attractive for overseas tourists  :-X

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 12:15:37 pm »
True, if they have an infrastructure to come to!!  :2funny:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 12:20:51 pm »
personally I am rooting for a disasterous 2010 so that the world can wake up to the realities of the New SA