Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Skinners in Aucland  (Read 21949 times)

Offline Didi77

• Resident
Skinners in Aucland
« on: January 01, 2008, 06:06:37 am »
Hallo family, friends, forum……  I promised feedback on new years day, our first day in New Zealand, here is some of our story until I have more time and energy to write to everyone individually.

Even though we started our adventure with an hour delay on the tarmac in front of JHB international, I need not have been worried about the 17 hour flight. It was absolutely great! (thanks for the send off Amelia, Mom, Nolan and family!).

We really enjoyed the flights. I am sure that the fact that we were well prepared helped, (dankie badprop) but even so Qwantas surprised me. The kids ate, played games, watched movies, slept a full 7 hours and freshened up before debarking. We even had the gentleman next to Pieter move so the kids could have an extra seat to sleep on. In Sydney the only hiccup was that mommy was not willing to pay R 30 for a chocolate  ::). I did not use any of the toys, medicine or emergency rations I packed and customs only made me open one bag.

Customs? I was glad I followed the advice of some forum members and made a list of what is in each bag. I had 11 bags of total 200kg and 7 pieces of hand luggage. I only had two issues, one bottle of sun cream I forgot in the side bag of a suitcase was confiscated (damm it was expensive too!) and customs asked us to open on suitcase to examine a terry with plastic tummy. Don’t listen to all the “know-it-alls” who tells you what customs will and will not do. Be prepared and list your bags.

The 4 hour flight to Auckland from Sydney was smooth, quiet and the food was wonderful. I actually think the flights were a big adventure for us all. Our “Boere-kiwi” T shirts attracted a lot of attention and the flight attendants called us the kiwi family. I am sure we must have 10 email addresses of families we met on the flight. Al the NZ’ers were friendly and enthusiastic about our immigration and the customs and immigration officials seemed welcoming. We had no negative comments from any people as I was warned to expect.

My first impressions of Auckland is a bit vague as it was 1h00 on new year’s eve as we drove across the bridge to the north shore where my sister, her 10 year old and DH stays in Torbay. I remembered that I was so uncomfortable with the idling car in the driveway outside her gate that I jumped from the passenger seat to the drivers seat and drove the car into the garage as we arrived. The open house and unlocked doors will take some getting use to.

At 5h00 this morning I could sleep no more and I had coffee in the kitchen and watched the world unfold outside. Later I went to lie down a bit more, fell asleep and my sister woke us at 10H00 for breakfast! We have since been warned to stay awake now until 20H00 tonight so our bodies can get used to the new hours.

Since we arrived we went for a long walk on the very busy new years beach and had a light lunch. It is a stunning day and it almost seems as Auckland is bringing out the best weather to impress us. Torbay is a lovely area that makes me think of East London. I have not seen much more than the forest and the beach but it is a bit crowded for my taste with the houses right on top of one another. I know that our chances of finding a job is best here in Auckland it self, but I can not see myself living here. I hope to find something at least on a small holding (or as my sister calls it, lifestyle area), or perhaps then in Whangarei or another smaller town.

We are waiting for NZ to open after the holiday season so there is not much we can do at present. Tomorrow we are going house and car hunting. Car wise we need a people mover for us to take a week long tour of the north area. Then we need a temporary house until we have decided on an area/ job/ school zone. I also need to get to ASB bank to collect our cards. At least the cellphone has been activated.

Tonight we are having a “Barbie” with my sister’s neighborhood friends.

So that is all the facts. On the emotions I’m think I will leave judgment till later. Pieter seems a little bomb struck and not very eager to leave the house. I am myself not so sure of things presently but I doubt I should expect much enthusiasm from my abused body at present. J Lets see how things go by the end of the week when we have acclimatized and rested.

Greetings to everyone and chat again by end of the week.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 06:12:44 am by Didi77 »

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
Re: Skinners in Aucland
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 09:18:04 am »
How EXCITING!!  :) Yay for you and your family  :clap: and good luck for your new future in NZ  :gl: Keep us posted.
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 09:18:04 am »

Offline Shaz

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 09:26:52 am »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Glad you are all there safe and sound. Enjoy your time in Auckland. We will have to meet for a cup of coffee 12 February.

Offline mikencarmen

• Eastern Cape, South Africa
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 10:48:57 am »
Glad everything went well and you and your family are all safe and sound.  :clap: :clap: :clap: Good Luck with the "house and car" hunting....  Keep us posted.....

C & M

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 11:35:39 am »
Enjoy your new life and all the wonders that NZ has to offer. O0
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

Offline WendyH

• Certified Addict
  • Otorohanga, Waikato
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 12:53:28 pm »
 :clap: Glad you arrived safely and had a good trip!
 :gl: with the next steps of your new life!
EOI selected - 21 May 2008
ITA received - 1 July 2008
ITA lodged - 14 July 2008
PR approved in principle 04 May 2009
Received passports with stickers - 03 June 2009

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 06:50:31 pm »
Mmmm. I am not a morning person but here I am 5H00 chatting to you guys. NZ seems to be changing me allready, or perhaps my body is still in SA evening mode? :idiot2:

Hope that after a full day of house and car hunting we will be tired enough to sleep. Found my 4 year old son at the front door with this blanket and pillow at 11H00 last night crying. He thought we had left him, died and gone away.  :'(

Then at 3H00 this morning DH was munching left over steaks in the kitchen and spent the rest of the morning hours in the arm chair... :-\ is this jetlag or is he worried or upset or all of the above?

Eish.

Well I am going to make coffee. Good day to all the NZ'ers and have nice sleep in SA  ;)

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 06:50:31 pm »

Offline travelite

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 11:45:59 pm »
WOW.....Congratulations!    :clap: 

I actually feel tears coming to my eyes.....so happy for you. Even tho' I'm new here, I feel I've become 'involved'. Good luck with the house and car search.  So, please keep us posted.

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 04:28:58 am »
Hi Didi good to hear all went well. Have fun with the adventure and keep us posted. Just listen to your body iro the jet lag and you will be over it in no time. Besides there is way to much to see and do and sleeping is a bit over rated when there is a whole new world waiting to be explored!
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 06:47:29 am »
Didi try to stay up as late as you can the jet lag fades a bit faster that way.  Give it some time, you will get into it and try to avoid sleeping at 2 in the afternoon. 

Sterkte met die kar en huis hunting.   O0 

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 07:26:51 am »
 :gl: Snore... I am so sleepy......

Hey guys we foiund a car. A BIG one. Honda Step wagon 8 seater that gets 14kmn per liter and cost only 15 000! Very excited. Going to test drive it tommorrow and then if happy take it.

More later - gotta go feed my kids. I keep thinking it is early afternoon as the sun is high up in the sky but it is allready 7H45!! So weird.

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 07:00:09 pm »
Hi Didi bly om te hoor julle het veilig daar aangekom.  Jammer ons antwoord nou eers maar ons was weg gewees vir die lang naweek.  Sterkte met die kar en huis hunt - hoop die kar ry lekker wat jy gaan test drive en hoop ons almal kry die geleentheid met daai weird wakker word  :2funny: Ons chat nie orals nie omdat ons nog 'n paar dinge moet lees en leer maar ons sal hier en daar ons posts gooi  O0

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 07:00:09 pm »

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 08:57:30 am »
Thanks everyone for the Posts, notes and emails and sms's (oops I mean TEXT) and phone calls and general support. It's good to have a support system.

Here is my day's news.....

First I need to welcome Edith. She is the newest edition to our family. We found her at a Japanese dealer in Auckland and she is a 8 seater Honda step wagon. We negotiated from $16800 down to $15 000 and then brought a check for $14 500. Not only did the “katvreeter” accept the cheque, he threw in 2 years bumber to bumber warrantee and a AA check-up that was actually included but we did not know about it!

You guys will not believe how easy it is to buy a car. No registration, no hassles. You sign in two places, swipe your card and drive away.  ;)

It is not often that Pieter and I agree 100% on something, but this car really is what we wanted! Now you know how I have always dreamed of a GPS? Hubby said as we saved so much on the car I can spend some bucks on a starter, small, second hand GPS. So I went shopping on the internet and found Bond and Bond had a special of 25% discount on a Navman S50 wide-screen with bluetooth and lots of extra toys. Top of the range man! Hubby fell for the sales talk and now I am so kitted out! ::)

Then of course we went to the bank. But it is not a bank. It is a pleasure. No yellow couches and hard little red chairs. We looked like absolute fools as we thought the tellers were clients. There are no gates, no doors, no cameras and no rude bank tellers. You are met on the “floor” and the tellers have little tables and the queue is not restrained by chains but painted on the floor. And this young kiwi, with baby blue eyes and nice manners, opened an 2nd account for us and transferred money and gave me insurance and a bank cheque for my new car. He did it all in minutes without even once making me beg the way one usually does at Gabsa. Then I must also tell you the one thing that came to mind while I was having this pleasurable banking experience and was comparing the Gamsa environment with ASB : the décor actually works!

But wait, the best part of my day was the petrol station. You do know that I have researched NZ for a full year and my forum (that’s you guys!) has prepared me for everything and anything. So I have no fear of making a total ass of myself, or even worse of my DH.

We sat in the car for a full 16 minutes (the cashier did confirm this fact once he had found his breath and wiped his eyes) before we realized that here in NZ you do put your OWN petrol in your vehicle. And then Pieter was so embarrassed he made ME do it! I will say no more about this subject…… :blush:

We have now had 3 days of extreme sun with steamy weather. The kids have had a ball on the beech with aunty Trunelle. I am sure this cannot be normal as it is so hot I do not want to venture into the sun at all. No rain yet although I am sure it can not be far away as I see the locals are still hanging their washing inside and takes their umbrella to work on the buss. They do not trust the sunshine much around here  :)

Oh and before I forgot. I did the washing. Not Maggie, ME. I know there are unbelievers out there. I took pictures! I actually did my first bundle of washing (ok, Trunelle did help). And everything is clean and wearable and I am almost positive I will be able to do it again.  :P

Now I am off to sample my brother in-law’s smoked chicken (guys the red meat is bloody delicious here!) and will chat again when I have news.

From the “once again Mobile” Skinners (and a much more positive Didi)  :clap:

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 09:57:39 am »
I'm so glad for you and family that the first few days in NZ has been so good - I'm sure it will just get better and better!
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 10:23:32 am »
Watch out AKL, Didi has a car and she's not scared to use it. ;D  Congrats on the new car.   :clap:  And proud of the new 'domestic' shining through.