Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Family murder gives us fresh motivation!!  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Jen T

Family murder gives us fresh motivation!!
« on: January 03, 2008, 03:53:09 pm »
Hi all
We received some sad news this am.  My husband's uncle was shot during a dinner party in Jhb.  He was 75 years old and was visiting family in Bryanston.  He was a man who loved this land passionately and was a birder who was known throughout SA.  We were meant to tell my hubby's folks about our plans over Xmas, but the time was not right.   Now we feel able to do this.  Got on the phone to my agent this am and she is going to rush through my teacher reg.  We only have 130 points because I am a primary school teacher and my husband a farmer.  I will need a job to get the points we need to be chosen for our EOI.  Some of you will recall that we have a special needs child and so this complicates matters.  We need the job to get the points to have the medicals to be able to submit!!!!!
Our initial reaction this morning was to get on the next plane, but after calming down, realistically, we have a business to sell and teaching posts that are available now don't give us enough time to sort things out here.  We are going to head over in Sept when the 2009 post are advertised as well as sending off CV now to the Hamilton area to all the school.  Perhaps something will come up during the year.  Sorry, I'm rambling a bit!!
We envisage some problems but are more determined.  I have been hijacked, so have my sister and her husband, and my father-in-law.  My husband had his head fractured by a gun years ago and so we feel that this last incident will really help my in-laws to understand and support us. Thanks for all the posts here that have hel;ped
EOI submitted 2 July 2008 120 points no job selcted! 3 July 2008

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
Re: Family murder gives us fresh motivation!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 06:34:17 pm »
Hi Jen T sorry to hear about this, it makes me so F****  :tickedoff:  :tickedoff:  :tickedoff: and we are sure your in laws will understand and if not "TUFF" it's your life not theres - so if you feel this is the way then you would know what to do.  :gl: guys and remember we all feel the pain  :'(

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 06:34:17 pm »

Offline mikencarmen

• Eastern Cape, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 07:22:21 pm »
Hi Jen T, so sorry to read about this ..... I can only agree with ANTONK on this one... You and your family are in our thoughts....   :flowers:

C & M

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 08:10:48 pm »
Jen T, really sorry to hear about the sad news. Good luck with everything.
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 11:59:14 pm »
Hi Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about the mindless attack and death of your uncle.

BTW, who said you won't be selected with 130 points?  Has something changed since we did ours in January last year?  I know that with 140 points you get "automatically selected", but if you have 130 points and have skills in the shortage list with good qualifications, you have a high chance of getting selected anyway.. in my opinion?  We had 135 points with no job.  We got selected from pool first time round.  My hubby is in IT with a BA degree.  We even got PR without a job offer.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline malindy

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 07:19:23 am »
Hi Jen,

I heard the news yesterday on 702 - sorry to hear that he was a relative of yours. Hopefully the family will understand your decision now, not that it makes it any easier!
Lotsa hugs and kisses and know that you are in our thoughts...
The Only Reality is the Here and Now - when I can make a Difference...

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 09:53:18 am »
Thinking of you Jen

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 09:53:18 am »

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 10:44:29 am »
Sorry to hear your awful news Jen.  Hang in there and keep your chins up.  NZ isn't that far away for you.  Our thoughts are with you and see you in NZ

Offline Jen T

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 01:28:46 pm »
Hi everyone
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.  It really means a lot.  The points that we have are not enough because neither of us are on the 'absolute or long term skills shortage list'.  We are , however, on the short term skills shortage list, but you don't get the extra points for being on this list!  If we had more points we would be chosen and so I need to go over and get a job.  We have decided to both go in September and leave our kids with relatives for two weeks .  We may even have to take our special needs child with us so they can give us a definitive decision as to whether or not they will accept her!  We just have to try to be positive and stick out the next year!!
I love this site and visit it almost every day.  Hve done since about March last year. Thanks again

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 05:30:08 am »
Hi Jen strongs to you and your family. The move is not for sissies but if you are focused you are halfway there already.  :gl: with the plans and keep us posted on your progress.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 05:29:56 pm »
Nolan & ZatexNZ we need  :help:  here with Jen - any suggestions for them.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 05:33:38 pm by ANTONK »

Offline Jen T

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 08:16:18 am »
Thanks Anton There is a very good chance that we will be rejected because of our little girl.  I have spent the equivalent of days on this , researching this and trying to find cases like ours and have still not been able to find and answers. I am hoping that by the time we go over to look in September, they will be very desperate for primary school teachers.  At the moment they are orrering $4000 to relocate from overseas to NZ if you are a primary or secondary teacher, but we are still not on that list of absolute skills that is so important.  If anyone knows of anyone who got in with a child like mine, I REALLY need to know them.  My husband is going up to Himeville for the memorial this weekend and I am getting myself into  a state about his safety!!  I feel so stupid to get so paranoid, but can't seem to get past all the bad stuff that has happened to our family!

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 08:16:18 am »

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 08:26:06 am »
Don't blame you for being paranoid Jen.  Lets think positive and know he will get there and back safe and sound. Wish I could help you.  Thinking of you!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 09:28:54 am by hadenough »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 08:32:13 am »
Jen, sorry to hear about your uncle. I can understand how desparate you guys are to get out of here with all that has happened to you. Have you made a calculation on the "cost to state" every year for your DD? Have you chatted to somebody at NZIS yet?

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 05:32:00 pm »
Jen NO WAY HO ZAY - We will all pray for your child to be accepted and GOD will PROVIDE IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS and you must keep on stretching your outlook for moving to NZ as we are all sure that someone in NZ must have a soft spot for people with the same circumstances as you guys and if you go through with this then you WILL open more doors for other people that are in the same boat as you - STAY POSITIVE and keep on going with your application,  :gl: IT'S NOT OVER TILL THE FAT LADY SINGS - SHE HASN'T BEEN BORN YET  :angel: