Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Are there any potholes in NZ?????????  (Read 2809 times)

Offline gleroux

Are there any potholes in NZ?????????
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:46:38 pm »
 :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Are there any potholes in NZ?

My wife had just on her way back home driven through a pothole. Not a small one, a moerse een. I'm really  :tickedoff: , not with her but with Joburg Roads Agency and/or Ekhuruleni Metro or whoever elses responisibility it is to fix the roads.  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: Both the wheel and tyre is written off. Could have been worse I guess

But on the bright side, it is one more reason I can add to my list of reasons to leave SA.  :D :clap:

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
Re: Are there any potholes in NZ?????????
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:43:57 pm »
In NZ they are very quick to fix the road, should there be a pothole. DH and I traveled for more than 3000km last year, September/October, and only saw one pothole - and "they" were busy fixing it!  :clap:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:43:57 pm »

Offline WendyH

• Certified Addict
  • Otorohanga, Waikato
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:57:35 pm »
 :clap: I'm tired of driving like I'm drunk to avoid all the potholes!!
EOI selected - 21 May 2008
ITA received - 1 July 2008
ITA lodged - 14 July 2008
PR approved in principle 04 May 2009
Received passports with stickers - 03 June 2009

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 10:41:06 pm »
Nope, haven't seen any potholes in our area either.  They fix them very quickly.

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 04:44:27 am »
On my LSD I saw a few that were being repaired but none nearly like the mine shafts that we used to. Difficult to get your head around the fact that things are fixed fast there. Went to town one morning and the traffic lights were out. THis caused confusion as people do not seem to know how to use a 4 way stop! Anmyway was in the shop for about 30 mins. On my way home expected chaos at the traffic light and guess what...... none. The lights were fixed.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Amber

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 07:55:43 am »
On the subject of potholes, we spent Decemebr in the Hluhluwe area - a beautiful part of the country where you would expect the government to do maintanince becuase of the huge tourist attractions - WRONG.  We were in the same area last year and the road to JHB was bad - this year we almost went of the road a few times trying to avoid craters - not potholes.  I am sure there has been no maintanence done on those roads over the past year, despite the fact that on that very road a bus was involved in a crash killing some German Tourists.  The poor bus driver also lost his life but probably had the blame pinned on him despite the fact that the roads are trecherous.  To be honest with you we travelled on a dirt road to Sodwana and it was in better condition that the few streaches of tar that we used on the same day!!!!
The writing in on the wall for SA.  It was originally predicted that load shedding would continue until 2010 - on the news this morning they said it could last for the next 5 - 7 years! This is way past 2010.  I believe some international company pulled out of a R10 million investment because of the load shedding.  I feel so sorry for those that we are leaving behind, some who would love to go but can't and some who are just to blind to see what is before them!
Amber
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:23:57 am »
Don't worry about potholes.

You drive so slow you don't feel them.  ;D

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:23:57 am »

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 03:12:12 pm »
 O0 for NZ - YEAH  :clap: and thanks for the info.

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 11:55:23 pm »
Sometimes you feel like you could  :sleep: at the wheel with the relaxed speed.

Offline Amber

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 07:14:54 am »
I love it more each day!!
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline Durbschick1

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 02:51:28 pm »
Cannot wait to get there!!!  :clap: