Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Starting from scratch  (Read 5401 times)

Offline yhaas

Starting from scratch
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:10:00 am »
Hi everyone,

We decided not to take container, because almost everything in our house is build in, and because of eskom we have almost no appliances working >:( We plan on taking just what is absolutely neccessary.  I am just a bit worried about all that little things that needs replacing that we don't think about.  Can anybody please tell me how much it would cost to furnish 3 bedroom house + all that little things.  Just want to let hubby know how much he should make before we go :2funny: :2funny:

:help:

Offline kim12345

Re: Starting from scratch
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:52:38 pm »
hi yhaas,
what did u guys do with your existing funiture?  getting a bit ahead of myself, but i was thinking some kind of open house garage sale?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:52:38 pm »

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 03:13:30 pm »
We're going to create our own on-line "garage sale" with everything - even the little goodies - up on the web for sale. Those interested, are welcome to come and see and pay and go for what they want. We've already got a large trestle table out in the front of the house where visitors (friends and family) can "browse" through our "Stuff for Sale" :) At the end of the day, we'll do an open garage sale and whatever is left over must go with Cash Converters or the likes. Will let you know how all this works.
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

Offline chaas

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 04:37:13 pm »
Unfortunately we live on a farm tussen niks en nêrens, so I doubt that we will have a lot of feet.  But it sounds like a great idea!  Will try though, and maybe as you said sell some pieces online.    Do people buy stuff from garage sales here is SA, we live in really ek's-baie-ryker-as-jy community, think they would only buy secondhand stuff if they are sure nobody sees them.  Will have to make individual appointments :thumbdown:
Let me know how your garage sale goes and  :gl:

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 06:41:54 pm »
Hi to all - Try also Junk mail, cash crusaders, NO PAWN SHOP (pay to little) or even sell it with the house, what ever but also be careful as some things or items cost a lot in NZ - DO SOME RESEARCH FIRST  :gl:

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 09:34:57 pm »
I don't know if it is such a good idea not to bring your furniture with you.  The cost of a container vs the cost of buy new furniture, just not worth it.  You can buy 2nd hand furniture don't know what condition it would be in though.  We brought our things in a container, and still had to buy some stuff here: 1 x dressing table (recycled remu wood), 1 x chest of drawers (also recycled remu), 1 x headboard (recycled remu), 1 x pine chest of drawers (for childrens room) - these are things we didn't have or have a need for in SA.  This all cost us $7 000, with the exchange rate today you are looking at R39 180. and that doesn't include a lounge suite.   The cost of the container is about the same and you can bring your kitchen utensils, fridge (+- $1 000 - R5 595), microwave (+-$1 000 - R5 595).  Now you are looking at around R50 370, way over the cost of the container.
Another thing to remember is that the built in cupboards in NZ homes don't have shelving space, hence the need for chest of drawers (tall boys).

Do some research it might be worth it.

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 11:36:34 pm »
Just to say I found our slip from Harvey Norman for the small Samsung Fridge (210L) $629 (R3 520), the Sharp 34 lt Microwave oven $199 (R1 114).  Quite a lot out on the microwave, sorry.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 11:36:34 pm »

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 06:35:25 am »
Guys I have been seriously shopping secondhand and 1st hand in Auckl and Whangarei for 3 weeks now - Bring everything you can!!! the only thing I picked up cheap is the PC and the GPS

Offline emma

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 07:55:36 am »
i have to agree that everything seems to be so much more expensive in NZ, not sure if it is the distance and transport cost factor or what!!  the only things that are cheap seem to be the cheap *** imported from asia, that usually breaks down!  computers and stuff like that are reasonable and cars - as long as they are from asia not anywhere else!

bring everything you can possibly stuff in your containers, even the second hand shops are not that cheap for what you're getting!  you can get a lot of bargains off trade me, although it is time consuming and some times what you  buy is not what you thought you were getting!

Offline leeannvh

• If its to be, its up to me
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 01:26:57 pm »
Hey, you learn to HUMBLE yourself when you arrive here!!

I must admit I was a real 'snob' in SA like most Saffers!!
You know, pull your nose up to 2nd hand stuff unless its antique furniture

But....garage sales on Saturdays is the way to go!!!
and.... www.trademe.co.nz

I bought a Frigidaire fridge in perfect working order, doesnt freeze up, works like a bomb, NO rust, EXCELLENT, nice & big, for $10 on trademe
Microwaves you can get at hospice shops for $10 - 15 but I keep missing the blinking sales

all  other stuff at garage sales

but crockery & cutlery sorry but that had to be new!!!

DONT buy anything at Briscoes new but their sales are good....up to 50% off alot of the times on their pans then Warehouse for other house thingies

You can make it week by week buying bit by bit to fill up your house but we were fortunate enough to have lovely saffers helping us out in the beginning and we replace as we go along (Thanx Didi!!!! - still need to return you beds!!!)

Offline Bevmac

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 09:04:09 pm »
Thanks for that info Leeann, thats what we are gonna do, buy 2nd hand to start with, and as and when will only buy new stuff!!  O0

We only bringing personals to NZ, our furniture in SA is old and definately not worth us spending money to ship it out!!

Offline paula

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 02:59:45 am »
hi, we started from scratch and wouldn't have done it any other way! told everyone we didn't bring much over in boxes, and when they arrived, realised we REALLY didn't bring much over (pictures, weber, more pictures, some cutlery, some of my teaching stuff, more pictures and a few of dd's toys). was glad to have all our pics tho! so we furnished our house from scratch. it worked for us cos i was NOT keen on the whole camping thing (i like being unpacked and sorted in about 30 mins after i arrive somewhere ;D so camping was not going to work for us! also wouldn't feel settled til i had my own stuff). also had come over in dec and with lots of family here saying houses are small and a lot of stuff you bring stays in boxes in your garage cos there is no space! that said there are a few things i would have liked to bring (mainly to do with a baby cos we didn't know we were expecting when we sold our baby stuff!!) but otherwise glad we didn't bring anything.
so we bought (new) and from harvey norman (although target has some awesome furniture) and briscoes (on sale)...
lounge suite, flat screen tv, tv cabinet, dining room suite, kettle, toaster, washing machine, tumble drier, king size bed, side tables, single bed, bedding (pillows, duvet, sheets for both us and dd) desk, fridge, microwave, cutlery, crockery (plates, glasses, cups, cooking pans / pots) dehumidifier, heater, comp printer, dvd player with surround sound, dustbins, vacuum cleaner... and more arb stuff... and it came to about $15 000. we were lucky in that we got a relocation allowance (bum in the butter... i know :blush:, but good things do happen to you eventually!!) so we decided to go new and good quality as we wanted to not have to buy again. but you can get it on trade me if you are prepared to go through all the stuff. we have furnished the babys room and bought all baby paraphenaliea for less than $1000 off trade me (about the price of a brand new pram here!!) so it can be done.
good luck, just decide what will work for you!

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 02:59:45 am »

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 05:25:15 am »
I think if you consider bringing  a container, get a valuation on your things and see then if it is worthwhile.  Our container worked out around R40 000 and our household contents ( we have a lot of collectables,antiques etc) was valued at R380 000 so for us it was worthwhile bringing our stuff over as we couldn't replace this with $15 000.  Otherwise just pack a few sentimental things and buy the rest here. Must say the 5 months sleeping on the floor was an experience, but not for everyone.

Offline paula

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 06:41:23 am »
good point Alta. We didn't have anything of money (or really sentimental) value so was easy for us to "give" most of it away!

Offline Bevmac

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 04:27:30 pm »
Paula how did you send your few bits of stuff (pictures, weber etc) cause we are only wanting to send personal stuff and a few odds and sodds and not sure which is the best route to take?