Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Australia or New Zealand  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Bren777

Australia or New Zealand
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:27:50 pm »
Hi, We are also considering immigrating and have heard alot of positive but also some negative with regards to alchohol and high drug usage, We have 4 children ages 18, 12,4, and 2 and are not sure which has the most benifit for our family - Australia or new Zealand.

I have a degree and husband a trade as well as business owner over the past few years. We would like to explore more business opportunities and also approprate schooling for children, The idea of moving is frightening yet exciting and even more so with the current deterioting economic situation.

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
Re: Australia or New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:52:17 pm »
Hi Bren welcome to the family  :clap: and NZ of course is the best  O0
Bren drugs and alcohol are all over the world no matter what you do - EDUCATION from parents side is the best advice and  :gl: with your decision.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:52:17 pm »

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:02:37 pm »
Agreed, Anton - just lay the best foundation you can for your children. Of course it helps to have them in a good environment as well, but alcohol and drugs are a very unfortunate INTERNATIONAL social problem.
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:50:02 pm »
Welcome to the family Bren :clap:

I can't tell you which country is best for you - unfortunately only your own research can tell you that. Each country has it's pro's and cons. Many of them have been discussed here at length. You would need to sit down with DH and the kids and decide what is important to you guys as a family and then see which country can come closest to that. :gl: with your decision. Either way we are here to support you.

As far as the drug problem is concerned, I second what everybody else has said. In my experience drug problems usually start with bad friends. Bad friends start when kids are bored or feel they are not part of the clique. If the kids are constantly busy with sport or other activities, then they get their kicks in other places and don't have the time or need to "jaag aan".

My kids are still tiny, but I intend taking them to a rehab centre when they are old enough so that we can help out for an afternoon so that they can see what drugs does to you. Hopefully that will scare the daylights out of them and make them realise that is isn't "cool" to do drugs after all.

Offline scotsman

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:03:38 pm »
Too true Nolan, all my kids are so into sports that the thought hopefully doesn't even enter their minds (I hope!!) The people you mix with determine which path you take, a great book to let kids read when they are a bit older is " Smack " , the girl paints a horrific picture of what drugs lead to! Very graphic though, but true autobiography.
We also have 4 kids Bren, I think it is a worry we all have as parents.........their is a huge drug abuse problem worldwide...........so don't let it put you off a lifechanging decision.......... :gl: on whatever country you decide...........hope its NZ though!!! :heeha:

Charlie and Brigid

PS...........Welcome to the site!!

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 12:50:04 am »
Weclome Bren  :clap:

I can only agree with what every one else has already said about the alcohol and drug problems in schools. 
We have two young children 5 and 3.  We chose NZ because DH felt it was the better of the two countries, feeling that there was less of a problem in NZ schools than in Aussie schools.  I tend to feel it is a problem in all society.  All we can do is lay a good foundation for the children.  I agree with Nolan, think you are on to something there.

:gl: with what ever you decide to do!

Heather

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 04:46:45 am »
Hi Bren and welcome. OMHO NZ is best. Job opprtunities are better in Oz as are salaries. But you have to balance it out with lifestyle. NZ is more laid back. Think of going back to live in the 70's with all the freedom it gave children and you have a good idea of what waitsfor your children in NZ. Drugs are a problem wherever you go so do not let this stress you out too much. As others have said education starts at home so if you teach your children well form the beginning......... no problem. You have started off on the right foot by joining here.  :gl: with your decision.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 04:46:45 am »

Offline Bren777

Where in New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 02:47:32 pm »
Hi everyone, thanks for the advice. I think we had already decided that NZ was the better option and are more convinced as we learn more of NZ. We are still unsure which town or city we should consider. From brochures and talking to people here, places like Wellington, Christchurch, & Dunedin look fantastic. But again I guess it's where you find the work that will ultimately determine where we start.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
Re: Where in New Zealand
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 06:10:56 pm »
But again I guess it's where you find the work that will ultimately determine where we start.
Very true, as long as you get out of there.  :gl: with your plans and if you need any more  :help: you know where to find it. Cheers, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 01:35:30 am »
Welcome Bren777!  There are many cities other than the main few.  Tauranga is a beautiful city, Hamilton too.  Hastings and Napier are lovely on the east coast of NI.  Palmerston North is small but there's something going on there too.  And then there's a few that will vote for Whangerei in the North and oh there are many!  O0
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen