Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: 'Property on the Market' Support Group  (Read 21407 times)

Offline TanyaDT

'Property on the Market' Support Group
« on: February 08, 2008, 12:15:28 pm »
Hi there,

We are in the miserable position of having to sell our house before we can leave for Auckland. It's been on the market for 4 months already and nothing.  We had like 3 couples who were interested and then just nothing came of it.  I am particularly worried after the whole Eskom thing. It's like the whole country is so negative and buying property is the furthest thing from their mind.

I was just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat? Words of wisdom/support maybe?

tandl

Re: 'Property on the Market' Support Group
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:23:19 pm »
Hi Tanya

Luckily we sold ours last year September but I can tell you I know of quite a few people who are now struggling to sell their places. 

No words of wisdom but I am holding thumbs for you.  :gl:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:23:19 pm »

Offline TanyaDT

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 12:38:49 pm »
Thanks tandl.

So who is in the same boat, and what are you planning to do?  Rent it out, just wait till it sells - even if it takes another year??  Or just skip town and make it available for land distribution  >:D >:D 

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 12:57:40 pm »
Shame Tanya, that's tough!!  I am thinking of putting my house on the market within the next few months and then renting until we go.  We are only planning on going over at the end of next year, but I don't want to sit with the hassel of not being able to sell just before we go.  Renting your place out is so risky because you don't know how it is going to be looked after.  Have you thought about putting it on auction with a floor price?  That is how a hell of a lot of places get sold in Aus now and it is becomming more and more popular.  Good luck!

Offline Leigh

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 01:12:15 pm »
Hi

I'd agree with auctioning. We have the same problem in Henley, it takes an average of 10 months to sell houses out here, without all the added Eskom problems. We'd probably have to go that route as well.

:gl:

Offline stella.mike

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 03:32:55 pm »
Goodluck with the selling of the houses.  Ours is in the market and last week we got an offer on our house and we accept it and now we just have to wait out the time.  The emotions are up and down all the time but by the end of the months we have to consider renting it because we are moving to Natal the end of March.  We would love for it to be sold before that time then we do not have the problem of renting the house and we can concentrate on out plans to go to NZ.  i'm tryingvery hard to stay positive :(

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 07:50:59 pm »
Going to put our houses on the market next week. Think we're lucky in the area (North of Jhb) in that the property market still seems quite active. I just hope we can sell as all our money for being able to go over is tied up in our houses (they were our investments for the future, so I guess it is time to "cash in"!). We're planning to leave July, so I really hope that they don't take forever to get some interest.

Good luck to everyone else selling property!
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 07:50:59 pm »

Offline kol1974

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 08:00:27 pm »
Just put our house on the market a week ago.  Please hold thumbs for us as well.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 08:29:39 pm »
Our house has also been on the market for 6 months now. Seems like we may have a buyer, but at way less than we should be selling it for, so please hold thumbs.

If you need to sell your house before you can leave do it LONG before you think you need to, rather just rent for a while and know the bucks is in the bank.

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 08:44:11 pm »
 :gl: Nolan.  Hope the sale goes through withour a hitch.

Offline scotsman

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 08:52:22 pm »
Yep. Good luck to all, also having hassles selling.........nightmare!!

Charlie and Brigid

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 09:18:04 pm »
 :gl: everyone! Our house is also on the market now for six months already! Estate agents are not my favorite people at the moment...  :tickedoff:

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 09:18:04 pm »

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 05:53:54 am »
Luckly we do not have that added to all theotherstress at the moment. We are leaving the house for a year till my Mom who liveswith us decides if she wantsto stay here or relocate to Jhb to my sister. Our problem is going to be sending enough money over every month to pay for all the costs as my Mom is on a very small pension and cannot afford to do it on her own.

:gl: to all of you who are battling their way through this process now. The property market is not great right now but I will hold thumbs that you get close to what your property is worth.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Snoozy

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 08:00:33 am »
Hi all. It's nog just in SA that property is going bad - it's world wide. They reckon London prices have dropped something like 8% already, UShas gone down near 20% when taking into account inflation in last 2 years (which isn't much there), so it was bound to happen. We managed to get one flat sold in January (fortunately at reasonable price still), but now still trying to get rid of flat in Pretoria. it's let anyway, so not the end of the world if it doesn't sell. To anyone else struggling to sell - why not just apply for full bond and take the cash with you? That way your risk is out in Rands, and if the property drops and the Rand drops (which it should over the next while), you can quite easily fund the short fall when selling the property.

Just my penny's worth - hope it helps someone!

Offline WendyH

• Certified Addict
  • Otorohanga, Waikato
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 03:19:34 pm »
 :gl: to everyone still trying to sell their houses!
EOI selected - 21 May 2008
ITA received - 1 July 2008
ITA lodged - 14 July 2008
PR approved in principle 04 May 2009
Received passports with stickers - 03 June 2009