Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Motorbike licensing  (Read 2022 times)

Offline potatoman

Motorbike licensing
« on: February 10, 2008, 05:53:53 pm »
Howdy,

I believe you can ride a bike with a car license.. True?
Another thing is the car/bike license, do you have to do a roadworthy every now and then like the MOT in England, and if so, what is the cost?
Is it also viable to ride a motorbike to work and back meaning traffic/colisions etc....

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but sock puppets, sock puppets really scare me.....

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
Re: Motorbike licensing
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 06:02:45 pm »
Hi Mr Potatoman. Sorry I can only answer 1/2 of your question. I don't know if your bike license and car license is the same bur ALL vehicles, even trailers, will do a roadworthy every 6 months. It is called a Warrant Of Fitment (WOF). Only vehicles younger than 5 years will do one every 12 months but as soon as it is over 5 years it will be every 6 months. Therefor the vehicles on the road are in fairly good shape. Cheers,  8) SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 06:02:45 pm »

Offline potatoman

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 06:16:39 pm »
Thanx, this helps to clear all the WOFs I see on the internet on car adds etc.

Do you know the cost of the wof, or does it vary per vehicle on weight or something else?
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but sock puppets, sock puppets really scare me.....

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 08:14:01 am »
So far we've seen them advertised between $35 and $45. If they find anything wrong, that's additional. Some of the guys will fix whatever's wrong and others will just fail the vehicle until it's fixed.

Offline Shirls

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 12:13:06 am »
Hi there

The bike Licence is different to the car licence. P is doing his soon, and it is a seperate book and serperate questions.

WOF is every 6 months like the Roto family said, and vehicle licensing is either every 4 months, 6 months or a year.. so depending on how much you can afford to pay, you licence the car accordingly - oh and no going to the Department of transport... just  pop into the AA etc, and as long as your WOF is valid its renewed!

I love living in a first world country!

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 01:36:29 am »
Shirls I agree about the first world stuff - I phone the licencing dept to ask when I can do my licence - she askes "when would suit you mam?" I almost drop the phone....  :clap:

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 11:05:38 am »
I went into AA today and wrote my licence and a hour later I was walking out with my temporary licence.  The lady from the AA (nogals Afrikaanse vrou van PE)  said I would have my licence / plastic card in the post within the next 21 days.  Thanx for all the help Eileen I could not have done this without your help and info  :twothumbs:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 11:05:38 am »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 11:23:41 pm »
Shirls I agree about the first world stuff - I phone the licencing dept to ask when I can do my licence - she askes "when would suit you mam?" I almost drop the phone....  :clap:

I love this place, I really do, it is so refreshing, so ... lekker ! !
Things just work, the people have a slow is good attitude but things happen much quicker here than in SA where there we all "rushed to get things done" and it still happend 10 times slower than in NZ. LEKKER !!!
Cheers,  8) , SAKB.
PS, Alta, it will most probably be quicker than the 21 days, but very rarely longer than that, C-ya.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:51:15 pm »
 :o what? Alta you allready have your drivers licence done?

WOW

Gotta tell me On Saturday pls?? Gotta do mine cause in two years I can get discount on my insurance premium.....

Offline potatoman

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 11:34:50 am »
Just a reminder for all you lucky ones that side.

I phoned Midrand traffic dept this morning, (renewal of drivers) and their system eish-offline. Then contacted Centurion, eish-offline, no processing today.

Somebody save my wrists!!!!

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 12:43:16 am »
 :uglystupid2:

eish. Its not their fault. Its eishcom, or hellcom or perhaps even the huilgenoot....

it's aparteit's fault.

:gl: getting your licence renewed!