Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Schoolgirl shot dead  (Read 3200 times)

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
Schoolgirl shot dead
« on: February 12, 2008, 02:33:08 pm »
Not sure about the full details of the story I heard, but will see on the news tonight. My herb shop and nursery is on a property that is one house away from the garage where this took place this morning - apparently a girl (8yrs or 13yrs old) was shot today (head/back) and killed when she and her mother stopped at the garage's quick shop to get something before she went to school for the day...... As far as I understand the garage or the quick shop was being robbed by armed men when this took place.

This is a block away from where I live...

Understandably my husband was terrified of me going to work today with our little girl (almost 2yrs old) and the shock of it all happened at a place that I frequent almost on a daily basis..... I was feeling very uncomfortable indeed.

I've gotten used to (wrongly so, but then again) to all the thefts happening in South Africa and even in our suburb - but that the violent crimes are now moving into this area is very scary.

Just underscored my decision to go to NZ.
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
Re: Schoolgirl shot dead
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 02:47:44 pm »
This is so sad! Her life hasn't even started.  It makes me feel sick! And life just carries on, but at least some of us are trying to get out of here! O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 02:47:44 pm »

Offline minette

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 08:00:14 pm »
My initial info was a bit skewed, but not that it makes it any worse or better, the poor girl still ended up dead. Here is the intro paragraph to the story as it is on news24:

"Johannesburg - A teenage schoolgirl was killed by a stray bullet fired during a shootout between robbers and security guards at a house in Fairlands, Johannesburg, on Tuesday morning, said police." more on the following link: http://www.sagoingtonz.co.nz/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=2020.0;num_replies=1

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:25:23 pm »
I walked my little girl to school this morning and a man came to me saying "please be carefull, it is not safe for your girl to walk this stretch alone" - I replied "off course - it is terribly dangerous -  you get such monsters these days and life is not worth anything to anyone anymore" . The man looked at me as if I mad and replied: "lady, I don't know where you come from but I was referring to the contruction of the new sidewalk, I was worried she strayed into the road"

Such is the moments I remember why I am here... O0

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 10:36:04 pm »
Thanx Didi77, when I read the first post from Minnette I got cross because I don't like hearing things like this, it cheezes me off totally that we had to "abandom" our "country" that guys fought for and died for, and what for? Nothing!! And then I read your post and it brought a smile to my face and a chuckle to my heart because this is what we are "becoming"... normal human beings like we all were before, remember many moon's ago? ? When we were kids. Thanx again, C-ya on Saturday, Cheers,  8) , SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 10:59:45 pm »
Oh man! I am boiling!  :tickedoff: Good thing I made my mind long ago to leave! Did you guys in NZ hear our cleva guavament's plan to let our kids say a pledge to the guavament daily in schools!  :tickedoff: As if ou kids, or us, for that matter had anything to do with apartheid. Gmf - recognising the injustices....***!  :tickedoff:

here goes:
Pandor unveils school pledge
12/02/2008 15:50  - (SA) 

Cape Town - A pledge the government intended having all school children recite during morning assembly was unveiled by Education Minister Naledi Pandor on Tuesday.

Based on the preamble of the Constitution, it was "intended to internalise those values we as South Africans have thought to be important", Pandor told a media briefing in Cape Town.

The matter was first raised by President Thabo Mbeki in his State of the Nation Address on Friday.

Pandor said it would be open for public comment "to see if we can live with it" and, depending on the response, children could be heard reciting it by mid-March.

"Those are universal values that you would want any human being to attach themselves to."

Asked if she envisaged objections by parents, she said she hadn't heard of a single South African who had wanted to "opt out" of the Constitution.

She said there would always be people who found fault and "will say that Nkosi Sikelel' i Afrika should be in Polish, etcetera".

"I would be really surprised if people don't want to (recite it). It speaks to the values we want to have our young people take up."

She said it would be recited at assemblies "and even in class" and that children should be encouraged to recite and memorise it.

One journalist jokingly asked whether it would be translated into tsotsi taal (gangster slang). Beeld newspaper offered to publish it and invite readers to send in Afrikaans translations.

The pledge reads: "We the youth of South Africa, recognising the injustices of our past, honour those who suffered and sacrificed for justice and freedom.

"We will respect and protect the dignity of each person, and stand up for justice.

"We sincerely declare that we shall uphold the rights and values of our Constitution and promise to act in accordance with the duties and responsibilities that flow from these rights."

source: http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2269309,00.html

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 11:09:17 pm »
Ja Mags, NO COMMENT, Laat hulle aan ***. We're out of there. TGFSM. Heard we will be seeing you guys here shortly? Congrats. Cheers,  8) , SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 11:09:17 pm »

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 11:12:45 pm »
I am so thankful my kids won't have to put up with this rubbish!

Soon, swaer..... soon!  O0

Offline travelite

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:45:12 pm »
Hi Guys.......there is a thread here somewhere asking how SA'ns are coping in NZ. Well, let me tell you, I am no longer coping here in SA. Since hearing of the senseless death of this school child this morning, I've been in tears. Been crying my eyes out all damn day! And then - tonight - hearing about this 'pledge'. What a load of hogwash!! All just too much to bear! NO, I am not coping. And - what must one do for a decent night's sleep? Our dogs were going crazy for hours last night. Still don't know why....there was no way I was going outside to take a look!!

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 11:53:47 pm »
Travell I know  - remember that all to well in SA.

No dog barking in NZ. Reason? There is no skelms to bark at and no dogs to do the barking!  ;) I still can not get used to how quiet it is here in the suburbs at night (except for the boy racers... they can drive one up the wall in some areas...  ::))

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 05:11:54 am »
TGFSM, no boyracers where we stay, yet.... :clap: , Cheers,  8) , SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

Offline minette

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 07:05:23 am »
Sorry guys, I saw my link to news24 somehow got mixed up with reverting back to the same post .. blonde moment. Anyway, if you search on news24 you can find the article, but as all other murder/hijacking/robbery stories, it just depresses you more.

I cannot believe the pledge....no more to say.....actually - and this happens VERY RARELY - I'm speechless.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 07:05:23 am »

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 06:51:39 pm »
All the more reason to get out of here - at fast  :tickedoff:

Offline minette

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 10:19:51 pm »
Was thinking about the "pledge" they propose and the first line seriously has me confused and angry. As I see it, it will be a constant reminder TO HATE EACH OTHER, not a plea for any kind of "let's all live happily under the beautiful rainbow of our nation"....

"We the youth of South Africa, recognising the injustices of our past, honour those who suffered and sacrificed for justice and freedom." (as below)

Does that not simply say to the so-called oppressed - you better keep BLAMING AND HATING because of "past injustices".....and to the apparent oppressors that they should continue to feel ASHAMED AND GUILTY for these "past injustices"......

It has been 14 years already since "reconciliation" and the children going to school today could possibly not give a rat's behind for all this political mayhem of the current state of affairs - yet they will be BRAINWASHED AND INDOCTRINATED to either feel that they are the "bad guys" or that they are "owed something".

If I had to write the pledge it would SIMPLY have been something to this extent:

"We, the children of South Africa, pledge to respect our fellow human being and our planet and to be the best citizens that we can be for our country"

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 10:26:11 pm »
Hear, hear, I second your pledge before I second that *** wipe's pledge. Yours makes more sence, I think. Cheers,  8) , SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA