Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Costs of living  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Hill

Costs of living
« on: February 26, 2008, 08:37:10 am »
Hi guys and girls.

I re3ceived a job offer this morning from ASTUTE, New Zealand. it has been a whirlwind last two weeks. On the 11th Feb I emailed a friend who has been over there for the last 8 years, just enquiring about living conditions and costs of living, etc. He replied only on the 14th. On the 21'st he asked me to send a CV as he would enquire with a few contacts. On the night of the 22nd I get a call from a company representative for an informal interview. On the morning of the 23rd I get a call from a recruitment lady working for the same company. She states that I will be getting a offer of employment soon and that I must get all my passports, etc in order. Today the 26th I get the offer. I have a few days to respond.

The speed at which this has happened has caught us a little unaware. From various websites that I have been to, it seems like opinions on costs of living vary. So I was wondering if anyone, with experience with the NZ cost of living, would like to comment on some of the following. Please state monthly or weekly costs. I see the guys like to work in weeks over there.

Tax
Groceries
Meat
Electricity
Water
Rates - housing
Petrol
Cars
Telephone - Mobile and Fixed line.
Accommodation - Repayments on approx 450K.
Schooling - (Free) but what about any extra costs like extra mural activities.
Insurances - Life, pension/retirement, short term, etc
Anything else you can add.

Also what do you guys suggest regarding pensions in SA. I could leave my existing one here until I am 55 to avoid penalties and TAX. But the rand exchange rate worries me a little. You don't know what it will be in 20 years time.

Do you guys suggest taking your stuff over in a container or selling and buying over there? Who are the best/affordable agents to get quotes from for moving of furniture, etc.

Please feel free to add anything you think is relevant.

Thanking you in advance.

Hill
Regards

Hill

Offline rolo

Re: Costs of living
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 08:48:44 am »
Hi guys and girls.

I re3ceived a job offer this morning from ASTUTE, New Zealand. it has been a whirlwind last two weeks. On the 11th Feb I emailed a friend who has been over there for the last 8 years, just enquiring about living conditions and costs of living, etc. He replied only on the 14th. On the 21'st he asked me to send a CV as he would enquire with a few contacts. On the night of the 22nd I get a call from a company representative for an informal interview. On the morning of the 23rd I get a call from a recruitment lady working for the same company. She states that I will be getting a offer of employment soon and that I must get all my passports, etc in order. Today the 26th I get the offer. I have a few days to respond.

The speed at which this has happened has caught us a little unaware. From various websites that I have been to, it seems like opinions on costs of living vary. So I was wondering if anyone, with experience with the NZ cost of living, would like to comment on some of the following. Please state monthly or weekly costs. I see the guys like to work in weeks over there.

Tax
Groceries
Meat
Electricity
Water
Rates - housing
Petrol
Cars
Telephone - Mobile and Fixed line.
Accommodation - Repayments on approx 450K.
Schooling - (Free) but what about any extra costs like extra mural activities.
Insurances - Life, pension/retirement, short term, etc
Anything else you can add.

Also what do you guys suggest regarding pensions in SA. I could leave my existing one here until I am 55 to avoid penalties and TAX. But the rand exchange rate worries me a little. You don't know what it will be in 20 years time.

Do you guys suggest taking your stuff over in a container or selling and buying over there? Who are the best/affordable agents to get quotes from for moving of furniture, etc.

Please feel free to add anything you think is relevant.

Thanking you in advance.

Hill

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 08:48:44 am »

Offline rolo

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 08:53:56 am »
Sorry about that ,,finally got it right

If you check out http://www.proteapacific.co.nz site ,,click on NZ in the left pane , theres quite a lot of useful info there ,,including shopping item expenses ..Not sure how recent it is ,only thing ..

Re - repayments on mortgage ,, have look for a NZ bank , most will carry repayment calcs .

chrs

Offline Hill

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 09:58:01 am »
Thanks for the reply.

I have seen this list before. What I was hoping for was a reply from a SA perspective. In other words an idea from an ex SA citizen now living there. Let me try explain a little better. Lots of the stuff on that list is stuff, I would not normally buy. I am looking more from a daily essentials perspective.

Like breakfast essentials. Cereals, eggs, milk, etc.
Lunches. Bread and various spreads, etc.
Suppers. Meat and vegetables, etc.

Things like chocolates, biscuits, magazines, etc are non essential. Also what the list does not tell me is if these items were bought from a Woolworths type shop (expensive) or a general supermarket (Cheaper).

Thanks for the link though, I appreciate it.
Regards

Hill

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:01:27 am »
There are a few threads where people have listed their budgets and also "till slips"  maybe use the search function to find them.  Also I am sure someone  :smart: will give you the link soon!  O0

Offline rolo

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 10:49:26 am »
Im in a similar boat to you, decision time ...i fly 5 march and dont intend to come back , send for fam once permit secure etc

All i can add is that i had a couple of mates that moved from SA where they couldn't afford the price of a cup of tea (cold tea) (without milk or sugar) ( ....or tea) . Both had clerical jobs and were really struggling. Now they have 2 cars and are looking at jet ski's etc, have regular hols etc . Seem to be enjoying a far better qual of living ..Sounds good overall

all the best with your decision making ,,go with the gut feeling

rgds

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 11:16:17 am »

Like breakfast essentials. Cereals, eggs, milk, etc.
Lunches. Bread and various spreads, etc.
Suppers. Meat and vegetables, etc.

In general is Pack and save the cheapest with regards to normal groceries.  But veggies are cheaper at the green grocer.  Meat goes on special and believe me it is great quality still.

What you want to do is convert the prices back to SA rands and compare it.  It doesn't work.  You pay less for other things here and a heck of a lot more for others.  You don't have the same monthly costs that you have in SA so it kinda gives you a skew perspective.  That's why the general figure of $1000 is being used as a guideline.

Meat at PS can be anything from $6 per kg (rump) to $12 depending if it's on special.
Chicken, from 4.99 (on special)
Veg, single jam squash is $1.50  but a head of broccoli is 99c.  Mielies are cheap, saw them for 4 for 2.50.
Cereals....can go from 2 to $5 per box
Eggs, this is expensive... only bought it once and didn't want to remember the price for fear of indigestion.

I'll keep my slips next time and scan them in for you. 
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 11:16:17 am »

Offline rolo

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 08:16:15 pm »
Badprop that'll be great . Cant imagine anyone being more expensive than good old AC Kerman here in SA. Between them and TigerBrands they're milking us dry .

chrs man

Offline Shirls

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 08:34:38 pm »
For us, the most important thing about coming to New Zealand was the quality of life we wanted... we are not here to become millionairs! If we wanted to make money we would have gone to the UK. I understand the concern about wanting to be comfortable and not having to struggle. Also remember you are not going to be paying for a maid, security and all that.

Here is some of the expenses we have - in fairness we live in a small town near Wellington.

Rent - 160 a week, insurance $12.5 per fortnight. Our Ihug phone and broadband is $61 rental a month, includes free national calls, and broadband - 1gig a month, calls to SA are capped at $10.
Our last big shop was done at Countdown but I thought they were more exensive than pack and save - we get all our meat there. Examples of prices - Beef mince $9.98 / kg; Tegeal read to roast chicken - $11.48; Lamb chops $4.98 / kg; Pork Sausages $10.99 / kg
Nescafe - $5.99; Corn flakes $1.75; Pasta $1.05; Flora marg $2.99. Milk you pay around $5 for 2L

For the two of us we budget $150 a week for groceries - that is everything bread milk etc

Tax is HIGH here - we are paying 21% on a tradesman wage. Go onto the IRD web site and the tax tables are there.

Petrol is expensive - depending on how many times we go to Palmerston North we pay around $50 a week.

When you start work you will be paying into kiwi-saver - 4% of your wage which goes towards retirement, from April, employers pay 1% building up to 4% in 2011.
For health insurance look on www.southerncross.co.nz - they do medical insurance.

We are brining our container... in fact it gets packed tomorrow (SA time) - cost R34 000. Look in the getting read section, for costs of things like beds etc here.

We brought a 1996 Ford Festiva - a soccor mom car - for $6500 all in. Depending on what you want to drive, depends on how much you will pay. But for $10 000 you can get a good deal.

I will let you know if I can think of anything else.

Offline rolo

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 08:54:43 pm »
You are right Shirls , Quality of life and a safe place for the kids and a new adventure. I left SA for UK in 98 (British Citizen) lasted 4 years and came back, couldnt think of going back there. Having spoken to a couple of Kiwis on the phone, they come across as being a straight talking, but approachable and freindly bunch.

Thanks for the expense breakdown. All information helps build the bigger picture

good luck with the container

Offline Hill

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 08:58:43 pm »
Thanks guys.

I found a few threads about costs of living and they did help a bit. been through tons of web sites today. Now I just need to collate the info.
Regards

Hill

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 09:23:14 pm »
Renting differs very much, the closer you are to Auckland the more expensive - all depends where you are working.  Average renting now is between $350 to $450 for a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom small house - very basic - If you're looking at something upmarket it can go up to $650 per week.  Might be a bit cheaper if you look south.

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 09:23:14 pm »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 09:50:18 am »
You are right Shirls , Quality of life and a safe place for the kids and a new adventure. I left SA for UK in 98 (British Citizen) lasted 4 years and came back, couldnt think of going back there. Having spoken to a couple of Kiwis on the phone, they come across as being a straight talking, but approachable and freindly bunch.

Thanks for the expense breakdown. All information helps build the bigger picture

good luck with the container

Welcome to the site rolo :clap:

You've done a similar thing to us. We moved from SA to UK in 2001, lived and hated every minute, but could not go back to SA. We decided on NZ and 2 years later, it's still the best move we've ever made :clap:

Most of your answers will be on this site :gl:

Offline Amber

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 11:50:19 am »
Thanks for all the great info - Pork sausages more than lamb chops - can you imagine!!!
Anyway, I couldn't agree more - quality of life is more important than quantity og money!
Amber
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 12:05:01 pm »
- Pork sausages more than lamb chops - can you imagine!!!
:2funny: Amber.... definitely sheep country, not pig country!!