Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: medisyne?  (Read 4133 times)

Offline aniena

medisyne?
« on: March 06, 2008, 09:22:33 am »
Goeiedag

Ek weet dat as mens medisyne saam vat, moet alles op 'n voorskrif wees. Maar wat my bekommer is dat ons met 'n visitors visum oorgaan en beide ek en my kinders het net nou die dag hordes allergie (voorkomend) medisyne gekry. Genoeg vir 3 mde.

Sal customs vra hoekom so baie medisyne?  As dit dalk meer is as die duur van die lengte van jou visum, sal dit vir hulle 'n probleem wees?

Groete

Aniena 

tandl

Re: medisyne?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:30:55 am »
Hmm... cant help with the answer.  Would be interesting to hear from those that have gone over on visitors visas.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:30:55 am »

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 09:37:10 am »
I doubt that they'll check quantities. As long as you have the script as backup. BTW no-one even looked at our medicine.

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 11:13:56 am »
They did not look at our medicine either, just put it in our suitcase not handbagage and have the scripts with you.  If I knew they were not checking I would have brought a bigger variety with for everyday pain and fever as a packet of tablets, similar to betapyn headache tablets here is $16.00 for 20   :-\  Contact lense water is also very expensive, bring extra with in luggage. ( If you have a script you can bring in headache tablets with codeine )

Offline aniena

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:40:06 am »
Thank you for all the speedy replies  :clap:

Another question: what about cleaning products in the container? Good or bad idea?  :-\

And am I right - 100ml bottles of liquid in hand luggage but your normal toiletries are is okey in check- in- bags. ??

:help:

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 11:48:08 am »
No cleaning products are allowed in the container, not even gas bottles like soda stream bottles. Yes in luggage you can put in bigger cosmetic bottles, just nothing in handluggage, I didn't know and by the time we landed in hong kong I had almost nothing left as everything has been taken by customs.  I still wonder what they did with my mouthwash etc at Jhb international  :confused:  Surely it didn't stay in the bin.

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:48:11 pm »
OK here's a wake up ... first when we came over we did not had any problems with our medicine's ... had prescriptions with us.

BUT ... when our boxes came over the rest of the medicine with prescriptions were confiscated and they were the same as we brought in originally ... exept for disprine which customs left untouched. i was told that I can bring medicine in if they are prescribed by a NZ doctor ???

My qeuss is that it entirely depend on what day the custom official had and in what mood he is in.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:48:11 pm »

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 05:14:28 am »
Yip agree Johan. When I went over on my visit I had 3 months medication with me. I simply told them that I am epileptic and have a large amnount of medication with me to see me through. THey asked for the prescription but did not even ask to see the meds let alone check the quantity.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline aniena

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 01:20:19 pm »
Thank you for ALL the replies !!! :clap:

aniena

Offline Doreen

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 07:03:30 pm »
Jul moet onthou dit is baie warm in die container, 50 grade plus. Skoonmaakgoed, verf ens. kan ontplof daarom moet jy dit nie saam vat nie. Jou hoesstroop sal glad nie meer wel wees na die trek nie...

What if I have a prescription from my doctor for one year. Will they give me the medicine if I take it to a chemist?:idiot2:
A stupid question, Will there be any help from the state for medic or must we pay everything by ourselfs? We are going over with a WP. If there is help from the state how does it work? My daughter of 14 needs a orthodontis. Can anyone tell me how that will work?

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 09:20:17 am »
Hi Doreen

Try and get any orthodontic work done before you leave.  My son will need an orthodontist in the future and the dentist said they cost between $3000 to $5000  :heeha:

Offline Doreen

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 03:15:44 pm »
MJ, we are on our way to NZ. Hopefully we will be there end of March. The dentist told me he can't start the orthodontic work here (not enough time) My son's orthodontic work was done here in S.A 2006. It cost us R10 000.

Have you to pay everything by yourself? Doesn't the state help? Do you have a WP? I also need  a crown (also not enough time to do it here)  :confused:

How are your doggies? I decided I will check the places out there, and if I'm not satisfied with the quarintine I will book Kila by another and loose the deposit. (But then it must be realy bad, money not much...) Please keep me informed.  :smiley6600:

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 03:15:44 pm »

Offline WendyH

• Certified Addict
  • Otorohanga, Waikato
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 04:33:06 am »
I can tell you that a root canal is $800 and an extraction + xray $215 at North Shore Dental because my DH had to go there today. He went for the extraction!!
EOI selected - 21 May 2008
ITA received - 1 July 2008
ITA lodged - 14 July 2008
PR approved in principle 04 May 2009
Received passports with stickers - 03 June 2009

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 04:37:34 am »
I can tell you that a root canal is $800 and an extraction + xray $215 at North Shore Dental because my DH had to go there today. He went for the extraction!!
Ouch!  :eek: That is steep!

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 04:51:59 am »
At those rates I think that toothache would less painful!
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!