Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Importing your pets  (Read 24403 times)

Offline yolanda

Re: What are the typical costs (A - Z) to get a dog (x3) from SA to NZ?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2007, 09:13:57 am »
Hi

Pretty girl!
The dog is lovely, I will send you a photo of mine on Monday. I am sooooo relieved. I contacted the staffie club in Pta and they said we should not even concider putting them down. :smitten: They will find good owners that are trustworthy that will look after them. They will even look after them after we have left while they are looking for a home for them. I am so happy about that, cause these people are strict. They have selection criteria etc...so I will be sure that if they give them to someone they will look after them.

Things are looking great.  ::)

Yolanda

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2007, 11:17:30 am »
That is good news, you must be pretty relieved  ;D

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2007, 11:17:30 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2007, 04:39:58 pm »
Precious!  I assume that's your little girl?  She's cute!  Worth getting her out the country!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2007, 09:45:58 am »
Yep, she's the reason we are leaving. How could I possibly look into those eyes in 12 years time and say :"Sorry sweety, there are no jobs for you because you're white."

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Importing your pets
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2007, 11:03:58 pm »
Happy, I have a question for you:  You mention you have 2 dogs and 2 cats - did you take them over from South Africa? 
I was just finding out today about taking my kitty again, and I'm just shaking my head with grief.  The medical fees to get her certified and ready to go would run us US$515.70.  Then we haven't even found out what the air ticket would cost.  And then I read on the MAF site that quarantine will be a minimum of FOUR months, not one, as another site says.  And we have to pay about $1000 per month of board and lodging, so that would be $4000 extra, and then probably looking at another $1000 for ticket.  I just cannot see paying that.  I was kind of hoping that it would in the end not be quite as expensive as some sites mentioned... but now it's even more...  :'(  My problem is that my two children have somehow become so attached to her over the past 6 months!   And of course, we've had her for 12 years (brought over from SA to here in TX).  It's like giving a daughter away!  :-\ :-\ :-\
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
Re: Importing your pets
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2007, 11:20:09 pm »
zatexnz, I'm sorry but I don't have any advice for you? I came here to NZ from the UK and it's extremely easy from there?? No quarantine, only a small vet fee for final check and flight.
I only brought my cats over and got the dogs while here?

I know our one freind brought a dog from SA and it cost a lot and had 6 months (I think)quarantine?

We had lots of animals when we left SA to UK, and I had to rehome them all. It totally broke my heart, especially after hearing my horse was put down 3 months after we left??

It's not easy, and I feel for people having to leave pets behind. Maybe if you set you mind to Family comes first, it may ease it a bit? You need every cent you can get when you first arrive?

Sending lots of love and thoughts!! :smitten:

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2007, 11:25:11 pm »
Thanks!  Yes, family does come first... I have to just tell myself, it's human family to come first!  ;)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2007, 11:25:11 pm »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2007, 12:12:04 am »
It's a tough call!!
Thinking of you!!

greenfamily

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2007, 04:43:37 pm »
Hi, To pick up on some previous posts: no quarantine in SA in fact it must not have been in quarantine. However as the last 30 days involve many test etc some  facilities provide an in house service for those 30 days. It is a complicated procedure but I could not see my way clear of extending the period of being away from home. The quarantine period is 120 days in
It is expensive and so affordability is a personal thing clearly enters into the equation.

We are bringing our dog and enquirer if there is anybody out on the site who has actually been through the process to shed some light on the subject.
Thanks in anticipation.

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2007, 04:54:02 pm »
Hi I am bringing two dogs and re homing three before we leave :'(.  I got a quote and all the info from Keringa in JHB.  But also looking at quarantine kennels in New Zealand over the internet I have worked out that it will be about R5000.00 cheaper to fly my dogs straight to NZ and quarantine them there for the whole four months.  I have used a pet service to fly my two dogs to New York before (mad I know) and found that they do all the paperwork etc for you, You just have to pay, pay, pay.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2007, 02:04:09 am »
Here's the thread about bringing your pets over.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2007, 07:16:19 pm »
You're not going to believe this... but you'll have to....

Last night Jan and I sat and discussed some issues, and our kitty was curled up next to him on the couch.  As he moved, she lifted her head, and said, "Prneow?"  And Jan looked at me and said, "Forget the $$, we're taking her with us!"    Of course I promptly burst into uncontrollable tears... (that's what we women do when we're very happy too)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

So today after getting some last minute certified copies, I stop for a much-needed donut (haven't had one in ages) and find that within 4 minutes from home there's a vet, and I stop by and they are all helpful and will phone me tomorrow with quotes and all....

My head is spinning!!  :heeha:
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2007, 07:16:19 pm »

greenfamily

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2007, 07:39:55 pm »
Hi, I am pleased you made that decision and that it is possible. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2007, 09:03:14 pm »
Congratulations Colleen. I bet you feel like a weight has been lifted from your shoulders.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2007, 09:33:09 pm »
You should have seen Joshua when I told him after school today... the smile slowly grew on his face.... and then he jumped up and did a dance and went in search of her!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen