Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Importing your pets  (Read 24404 times)

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
Re: Importing your pets
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2007, 09:45:55 pm »
Yay for kitty :clap: :clap:

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2007, 10:01:31 pm »
Aha... I should add her pic to my avatar!  8)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2007, 10:01:31 pm »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 10:55:50 pm »
Yay, avavtar working now O0
Yeah, please do add kitty O0

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2007, 01:13:38 pm »
Jetset kitty  :clap:

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2007, 10:20:50 pm »
Yay, your kitty can chat to our kitties and exchange travel stories ;)

People laugh at how paraniod I am about my cats, they may be just be tabbies to other people, but are worth more then a pedigreed cats to us now :2funny:

I see your kitty is now in your avatar ;) She looks so sweet, I'm glad for you that you're bringing her over :smitten:

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2007, 03:18:40 am »
She is sweet, Linda...
Very unique...  we picked her up as a 4 week old, and didn't think she'd make the day.  There was something wrong with her back right leg.  After about an hour at work, i couldn't bear it anymore, so I left work, went to a pharmacy, got a syringe (realising she was probably too young to feed herself), then went home.  I had some Nutrishake at home, so gave her a little of that in her milk to build her up.  Then I found a shoebox, put a doll blanket in it, and brought her back with me to work.  I did that for two weeks till she was strong enough to stay at home...  my boss was allergic to cats, so stayed well away from during that time!  O0 
She is also the first cat that Jan ever owned.  He was never a cat person before, and now is totally converted! 
We watched her give birth to 5 kittens - a very long labour due to her malfunctioning back leg.  But she did it.  And what a good mama she was!  Jan was just totally awed by the whole process.  And then when he saw how quickly cats potty-train themself, he was amazed!  He said, man, I have to hit the dog and rub his nose in it, and they still do it on the carpet, but these cats just do it in the box, AND cover it!
Plus we can go away for a two night weekend, leave enough food and water for her and a clean litter box, and all's fine.  Not so with dogs.  So I have a fully converted husband, and kids, and well, maybe that was part of JAn's final reasoning - she's the first cat he's ever had, and he doesn't want just anybody to get her... so we're keeping her. 
Joshua has truly relaxed a lot since knowing.  He said he'd been crying alot at night about having to leave her behind.  Man, that just broke my heart!  :'(
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2007, 07:39:34 am »
Ah, so she deserves to come with you :clap:

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2007, 07:39:34 am »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2007, 07:56:21 pm »
CANINE CHECK LIST FOR EXPORTS FROM SOUTH AFRICA TO NEW ZEALAND

Step
   Microchip   At least 6 months prior to shipment and before or at same time as most recent vaccination

2   Rabies Vaccination (Dogs must be over 3 months of age at time of first vaccination)   In case of 1st vacc. not less than 6 months, but not more than 1 year. In case of       booster within 1 year.

3   Distemper, Hepatitis,  & Parvo vaccination. Recommended but not compulsory.

4   1st Rabies anti-body titre test must have at least 0.5 IU/ml of antibody in serum.
   At least 6 months prior to shipment. 

5   2nd Rabies anti-body titre test (as above)   Within 30 days of shipment.

6   Blood test for Canine Heartworm (1-2 mls of blood tested by both microfilariae and antigen tests)    Within 30 days of shipment.

7   Blood test for Brucella Canis and B. abortus with a -ve result in each case (-ve is less than 50% agglutination at a serum dilution of 1:100)   Within 30 days of shipment.

8   Blood test for Leptospirosis. If +ve then repeat test after 14 days or treat with 14 days of Doxycycline or 5 days of Dihydrostreptomycin. (-ve is less than 50% agglutination at a serum dilution of 1:100)    Within 30 days of shipment.

9   Blood test for Ehrlichosis Canis. If +ve treat with 14 days of Doxycycline.
   Within 30 days of shipment.

10   Indirect fluorescent antibody test for Babesia Gibsoni using antigens appropriate for the strain with a negative result (cut-off is 1:40)   Within 10 days of shipment

11   Obtain thin blood smear made from a drop of blood obtained from the ear margin in order to examine for Babesia Gibsoni with a negative result.   Within 10 days of shipment

12   Faecal test for Hookworm using sensitive flotation procedure. (able to detect 50 eggs per gram)   Two tests within 30 days of shipment and at least 14 days apart.

13   Treat with broad spectrum anthelmintic(s) effective against nematodes, cestodes & trematodes, at the manufacturers recommended dose rate(s)   Two tests within 21 days and within 4 days of shipment

14   Treat dog for canine Babesiosis using imidocarb diproprionate at a dose of 6.6mg/kg by subcutaneous injection.   Two tests, 1st being within 30 days and the 2nd within 14 days of shipment
* It is recommended that at least a 48 hour period be allowed to elapse between treatment of imidocarb diproprionate and application of an external parasiticide.

15   Treat for Heartworm – see health standards (point 7.2.1. / 7.2.2. / 7.2.3. / 7.2.4.)   Within 4 days of shipment.

16   Treat with ectoparasiticide dip, spray or tropical preparation capable of killing ticks, fleas and lice   Within 4 days of shipment

17   Health certificate   Within 4 days of shipment

18   Treat orally with Ivermectin (6 ug/kg)   Within 4 days of shipment.

Note: The dog must have been resident in SOUTH AFRICA for six months prior to export and must be aged 9 months or over at the time of shipment. All laboratory tests must be conducted at a Government laboratory or a laboratory approved by the Government Veterinary service of this country being Onderstepoort.

Hi sorry it is not pasting nicely, if you want it in a proper table form to print out, pm me your email address and I can email it to you. I also have the form that you must take to the State Vet

NEW ZEALAND NOTES:
(Issued by Global Paws – Tel: +27 11 662 1777)

120 days quarantine in New Zealand upon arrival

There are two ways of taking pets into New Zealand.

There are five quarantine stations in NZ; they are 3 in Auckland and 1 in Christchurch and the last in Levin. They are as follows:
•   Pussy Cat Lodge – Auckland (Cats only)
•   Qualified Pet Services – Auckland (Dogs & Cats)
•   Pethaven – Auckland (Dogs & Cats)
•   Canterbury Quarantine Services – Christchurch (Dogs & Cats)
•   Shado-Lans – Levin (Dogs & Cats)

The options are as follows:

•   Quarantine kennel in Great Britain for seven months.
•   If the owner has plenty of time (at least 9 - 10 months) and they are prepared to do all the tests themselves, then the pets may remain at home and then fly into NZ and go into quarantine for 4 months. With this last option the owner must book the quarantine space at Pussy Cat Lodge in Auckland, Qualified Pet Services (QPS) in Auckland or Canterbury Quarantine Services in Christchurch, Shado-Lans in Levin or Petshaven in Auckland, about 10 months before the intended departure date. You have to then liaise with your vet to do all the blood tests required for entry to NZ, this is a lot of running around for the owner, but if they are prepared to do this it is the shortest quarantine period.

You could also book the space with QPS, Canterbury Quarantine Services, Pussy Cat Lodge, Shado-Lans or Petshaven (as above) and start the initial testing at home. If required, Global Paws could do the last month of the final series of blood tests. We will provide a separate quote for this. They then go into NZ for a further 4 months of quarantine at QPS, Canterbury Quarantine Services, Pussy Cat Lodge, Shado-Lans or Petshaven.

Requirements and Restrictions:
•   A few breeds or types are prohibited for importation into New Zealand, they are as follows:
-   Dogo Argentina
-   Fila Brazileiro
-   Japanese Tosa
-   Pit Bull Terrier or American Pit Bull Terrier
•   The animal(s) must have been resident in South Africa for 6 months prior to export, and the animals must not have been resident in official quarantine premises in the 60 days immediately prior to export.
•   Animal(s) must not be more than 42 days pregnant at the date of shipment.
•   Animals must be more than 9 months old at departure

What should be done first?

Attached is the required Health Standard For The Importation Of Dogs And Cats Into New Zealand From South Africa.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any further queries.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
(Issued by Global Paws - +27 11 662 1777)

Q:   Where will my pet(s) travel in the aircraft?
A:   Your pet(s) will travel in the livestock hold, which is pressurized, heated and situated below the passenger cabin.

Q:   Â¬Will my pet(s) be stressed from the flight?
A:   More than a million pets fly safely worldwide every year and are well cared for. It is the captain’s responsibility to know whether or not animals are on board and those certain procedures are adhered to. All animals are checked and watered on stopovers. We, at Global Paws have flown pets all over the world, and have collected many pets arriving in South Africa from various countries around the world on a daily basis, and can say that it has been our observation that pets have all been quite happy and pleased to see a friendly face and their owners again and have suffered no undue stress due to the journey.

Q:   What sort of container will my pet be transported in?
A:   We use two types of travel boxes, wooden or plastic. Both are airline approved, with lots of ventilation and a water bowl is attached to the wire mesh front. We make sure that the size of the box is adequate for the pet to stand up, lie down and turn around in.

Q:   Can I put my pet’s own bedding into the travel box?
A:   Yes, providing it is flat lying and does not block the ventilation holes. In fact we encourage owners to provide a blanket or even an article of their clothing to put into the box, as the animal feels more secure with something that smells familiar.

Q:   How will my pet(s) cope with the quarantine? (U.K., Australia and New Zealand)
A:   Animals do not have a perception of time, and do not know the difference between six days, six weeks or six months. The quarantine period is often worse for the owner than the pet, as the owner has feelings of guilt over leaving the pet in kennels for long periods.

Q:   Will my pet(s) be given food and water prior to traveling?
A:   It is not advisable to feed immediately prior to travel to avoid soiling their travel box. All boxes are fitted with water containers, which are filled at the time of dropping of at the airport and refilled during transits. International airports are well equipped to handle all types of animals and may transfer them to specialized animal holding units on long stopovers.

Q:   Will my pet(s) have enough space in their travel box?
A:   Yes. We ensure that your pet(s) will be able to stand, lie and turn around. Any extra space would be very costly and not recommended by the airlines due to injury from possible turbulence.

Q:   Should my pet(s) be tranquilized before they travel?
A:   The Ministry Of Agriculture and veterinary surgeons strongly discourage tranquilizing animals in the pressurized conditions of an aircraft. Adverse drug reactions and breathing difficulties may occur due to the change in air pressure. Airlines may refuse to carry sedated pets, as they cannot detect their state of health. After the initial loading into their travel box, pets soon settle down to their journey and fall asleep.

Q:   Are there any circumstances when animals cannot fly?
A:   Yes. Restrictions are sometimes imposed for the welfare of your pet(s) when seasonal temperatures reach a minimum and maximum

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2007, 09:41:26 pm »
great info, thanks Michelle, I have added a link to your post in the checklist  O0

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2007, 06:39:34 am »
Hi no problem nolan.  .  My dogs were only microchipped yesterday, also their rabies was not up to date so they were vaccinated then will be vaccinated in 30 days again then only will the tests start.  Once you have the test results you start by going to the state vet.  I will post about this tonight when I have more time.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 01:30:08 pm by MJ »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2007, 06:47:47 am »
Are you serious about getting around all that?  I wonder if it would be possible to get my kitty to go over sooner, instead of wait here for another 5 months before being allowed to fly to NZ?
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2007, 07:12:47 pm »
Hi Colleen

Why does she have to wait 5 months there?  At least you don't need the state vet you just have to go to a certified vet. 

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2007, 07:12:47 pm »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2007, 09:43:25 pm »
She has to wait 6 months from the titre test which is 3-4 weeks after her medical checkup and rabies injection.  And have a microchip implanted.  She may only fly over then.  One month before she flies, she has to have another titre test.  Then when she arrives in NZ, she has to undergo 30 days quarantine before being released to us.  She only just had her titre test done last week, so it's 6 months from last week before she can fly to NZ.   :'(
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2007, 08:42:37 am »
Poor animals do they still have blood left in them after all the tests ... can you imagine we having to go through all that ...

Badprop

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2007, 08:56:42 am »
We were umming and ahhing on taking my dog with.  I see yesterday she is going blind from old age.   This will kill her for sure, now she is staying and my hart is breaking.  It is hinging on animal abuse what they put the poor things through. 

Are there Border Collie breeders in NZ.?  I don't want another breed.  I've had 4 now and they are very good with kids and are completely loyal.  And what prices are they going at?