Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: medisyne?  (Read 4204 times)

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
Re: medisyne?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 07:08:54 am »
Hi Doreen 
Dental work is covered by the state for kids up to yr 8 but not orthodontic work.  We have PR but that does not matter.
Dogs are fine, really healthy and happy.  It is a good idea to go and see the places first at least you will be happier.

Offline Doreen

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 07:13:09 pm »
Thanks MJ!! I feel already better. If you are satisfied I must stop warry! Like a friend of mine said, a dog fit in easy... It's just that she is my baby and very very spoiled...They asked in the forms when is her eating times. I'm afraid the whole day!!  :o

Maybe I must try to get my tooth fix here, before I go!! But it's realy to late for my daugther she will have to go there :thumbdown:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 07:13:09 pm »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 04:15:51 am »
If you are on medical aid try and have your dental work done before hand.  I know it is also expensive in SA even on med aid.  Root canal is $800 and that is only after a couple of appointments which you pay for to confirm this.

Offline Doreen

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 10:02:59 am »
Sjoe, medical seems to be a problem there :-\ We are used of a medical aid. You know how much to get one? Can't see how you can go without one :idiot2:

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 09:18:22 pm »
Ok just a small note on medicine, once your in medicine cost a whopping $4 per item on a perscription. If you recieve a recurring perscription you still only pay $4 per item on the first submission of the prescription, the sunsequent pickups on the prescription is free.

Do I make sence???

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 05:04:42 am »
look on southerncross.co.nz to get an idea of private medical aids

Offline Doreen

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 07:56:54 am »
Johan that sounds not to bad!!
Thanks MJ, I will take a look

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 07:56:54 am »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 08:30:07 am »
The other day I had to go to the doctor for a bladder infection and the prescription was $12 in total for anti biotics, pain killers, buscopan and something like citro soda.

Offline Doreen

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 08:25:41 am »
That sounds not expensive, but how much was the doctor's visit?
Thanks MJ, you made me went to the dentist      :knuppel2:( I am very, very, scared of any kind of doctor!!) I told him my long sad story of no medical aid, NZ etc.etc I'll have to-  because they are full booked till May!! They put me on a waiting list and phoned me yesterday that they have place for me to do that crown!! I'll have to go immidiatly... Before I could get scared I was there!! And it was realy not so bad!! Just wait now for the final crown to arrive. Seems it will net-net in time before I must leave.

He told me not to started with my girl's ortodontic because every doctor works different and the chance is good they will take everything out and start all over again. But there is anyway not enough time left to do that. One is fixed, one to go!! :whistle: :knuppel2:

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 02:44:30 am »
The doctors visit was $50 for the first visit and apparently will go down to $30 for all other visits.
Not sure why it costs more first time around.

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2008, 07:44:49 am »
Syd ran out of his meds for high blood pressure and had to go to a local doctor to get a prescription. He was given a 3 month one as opposed to the 6 month that we are used to. Doc visit $ 65 , meds $ 15
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Doreen

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 04:50:37 pm »
Dance are Syd there on a WP? We'll have to get a medical aid, medics very expensive.  :heeha: The dentist told me NZ is not so expensive it's S.A that is too cheap, they busy working on the problem... :whistle:

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 04:50:37 pm »

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 06:59:23 pm »
Doreen no WP just yet. Just went over to get a job to finalise PR. Took a huge chink out of our finances as we were not expecting it. He thought he had packed all his meds as I got extra form the pharmacy and he left it in the cupboard.  :uglystupid2:
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2008, 01:25:39 am »
We pay $24 per adult, $18 for our 6 year old, and nothing for the 5 year old to see the docter. Most medication are subsidized and totally free for 5year olds and younger. Whole bag of meds with antibiotics, cough meds, fever meds for 4 people = $20.  O0

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2008, 05:26:43 am »
Just spend $58 for docs appt in Howick. When we have a WP and after 3 months goes down to $38.  Prescriptions for chronic meds for 3 & 6 months totalled $18!!!!!  Now that was cheap!

Spent $320 for a major filling at the dentist as well.  Please note this is not an ordinary filling and involved some pretty good work by the dentist.  I wanted the tooth pulled out ($250) but he refused as it's not in bad enough condition.

The thought the prescription costs were really great.