Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Earthquakes  (Read 5305 times)

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
Re: Earthquakes
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 12:53:05 pm »
Thanks Jafa for the new links as we can get started on something else and proof to these  :uglystupid2: SA's what is going on in NZ as you said that they don't want to be the last one out of here  O0

Offline Mumtaz (CapetonianInWellington)

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 02:40:44 pm »
Earthquakes or Volcanoes................who cares!!!!!!! We dont have control over mother nature but we do have control over whether we stay here in SA and let the thugs have their way........................or whether we go to our new home NZ  :smitten:

I must just tell you guys that I cant wait anymore!!!! I am so excited..............I am so over the scared, second thoughts part of this journey. Hubby going for 3 weeks in April and hoping that he secures employment.

I am definately not going to be the last one to turn the lights out  :D

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 02:40:44 pm »

Offline ajp

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 10:02:52 pm »
Must say, the volcano's, earthquakes amd tsunami things also crossed my mind. but that was propably only because I had to much time to thing, waiting for all our paperwork to come.

Well, the vulcano's sold NZ to my son (he was skeptical at first) ! So that will propably be the first thing we'll have to visit once we set "voet aan wal".

So, from the below, we've now established that we'll propably not realise there is a earthquake, untill the emergency plans force you to take notice, but was anyone arround with the 2004 tsunami ? I havn't looked on the map's to see if it would have reached there, but did NZ even notice there was one ? Is there any tsunami's in NZ history ?

I agree that I'll rather take my chances with mother nature, than with human nature....

I also try an read the online "news"   :sleep: , but really, it just is not as gripping as in SA :crazy2: . Can't wait for it to be my daily news... :envy:

Offline Amber

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 02:50:58 am »
We experienced two earthquakes in two weeks.  It was quite scary - 5.8, but there was no damage and it was the talk of the town for awhile.
Amber
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 10:33:39 pm »
Amber I read about that. I did not actually know about it till I stumbled across a news report a few days later. When I investigated ti I saw there were actually 3. Started way south and slowly moved up till Wanganui. Shows .... we really do not stress about such thinhgs here.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Lea

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2009, 08:46:22 am »
:eek: Hi all

Just read one of the other topics in the forum and earthquakes in I think Wellington was mentioned?????

WHAT THE????

Is this true? If so what else happens in NZ that one needs to be worried about...Tsunami ect
and where so I can find myself a nice safe little spot  ;D

We lived in Wellington for around 3 years and you do get a lot of earthquakes there, but in all that time I only felt an earthquake maybe 2 times and it was over before I even knew it.  They do teach the kids a lot about what to do if there was an earthquake and so on.  And certainly there are always signs up at work what to do if there was an earthquake.

I've never felt unsafe because of it and they say a lot of little ones are better than a few big ones.