Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: houses  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Colin

houses
« on: March 16, 2008, 05:44:12 pm »
Howzit guys

Please tell me what is a good area something like Durbanville here in CT,
Nice suburbs in north island. there where there is an abundance of jafa's as well, and rototuna I think.

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
Re: houses
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 08:22:25 pm »
Get the book 'Where to live in Auckland'.  Loads of info and good summery of each suburb.
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 08:22:25 pm »

Offline Louise Marais

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 10:45:54 pm »
hi Colin,

Are you from Durbanville?

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 01:18:17 am »
North Shore is best, with good schools too.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 04:23:06 am »
Howzit guys
Please tell me what is a good area something like Durbanville here in CT,
Nice suburbs in north island. there where there is an abundance of jafa's as well, and rototuna I think.
Hi Colin, don't let me get started again, first things first. Get yourself a map of NZ. Secondly, check out the towns where the NZ'ers say they stay. We don't all stay in the same town. Thirdly, little bit of info on NZ. NZ is roughly the same size as is England and Japan. Japan has a population of + - 120 million people. England has + - 60 million people. NZ has + - 4 million people. Of that 4 million people, + - 3 million stay on the North Island(NI). 1 Million stay on the South Island(SI). Auckland is on the NI and there are again + - 1 million people in that one city alone. Now you will be able to realise we don't all stay in the same town and just different suburbs, NO. We all stay in different towns in NZ. Every town has his good area's and his bad area's. A fair indication of the type of area is to look at the primary schools decile ratings. 6-10 better, 1-5 not so good. I know somebody is going to bite my head of but that is the way it makes sense to me. Do yourself a favour and do some research on the net about NZ. You will be amazed of what you can find out of your NEW country. Cheers,  8) , SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 04:34:26 am »
Decile rating is based on socio economic areas, lower decile, lower socio economic area.  Within one area you will find good and bad houses.  If you look in the trade me for a house at a reasonable rent, it can be that it is in the bad part of that area, so the best is to wait and see for yourself and drive around like crazy.   

Offline Colin

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 08:40:52 am »
Hi Louise

Yes I stay in Durbanville currently.

howzit sakiwiboer, yes I know you all stay in different towns and that each have different suburbs I just wanted to know from the different people on the forum what their suburb or town was like and if you all could recommend any area's that I could look at on trademe to see what the houses for rent look like so that I have an idea as to what to prepare myself for...but like Alta says I should look closer to the time.... this makes perfect sense of course as what I see now will more than likely not be avail. by the time I come thru.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 08:40:52 am »

Offline KD

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 05:11:38 pm »
Hi Colin

If you look on web site below you will find a list (excel) of schools countrywide with their decile ratings.  Look under Sites: Decile rating: School directory information :gl:

http://library.christchurch.org.nz/Resources/NewZealand/Education/Schools/index.asp

Kd

Offline Colin

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 06:16:31 pm »
thanks a lot