Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Baby - medical aid type question  (Read 1193 times)

Offline El

Baby - medical aid type question
« on: March 17, 2008, 11:05:14 am »
My husband and I are planning to leave in December (very excited ) and are leaving SA so that we can have a family (very nerve-racking)... which brings me to my question:  what is it like to have a baby over in NZ?  I know that many medical procedures are covered by the national health system.  How do you choose a gyaenie, hospital, birthing method etc?  What is covered, what is not?  What about elective caesarean? I would love to hear from somebody who has been through this.

tandl

Re: Baby - medical aid type question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 11:43:08 am »
Hi El

I havent been through it but my friend has and what I can tell you is that you dont see a gynae much, they rely more on a midwife.  Not much more info on this but I will be following it with interest because we will also be trying to start a family in NZ. 

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 11:43:08 am »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:33:35 pm »
HERE is some info for you O0

Lea

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 01:33:32 am »
We had a baby in Feb 2007.  I had a midwife (finding one is quite hard so you have to start finding one as soon as you know you are pregnant).  They don't do a lot of scans and you pay for part of one scan.  They do listen to the heart though, check your blood pressure, they do feel placement of baby and if ever they are concerned they will refer you.

I had my baby at a public hospital and your midwife will take full responsibility except if you end up asking for an epidural or if a Caeser (sp?) is needed because of medical reasons, then you are handed over to the hospital obstetrician.  All other pain relief can be administered by your midwife.

I ended up asking for an epidural and they used a suction cup in the end as Caitlyn didn't come fast enough and had minimal tearing.  They were only going to try the suction cup once and if no success was going to do a caeser (sp?)

Afterwards the midwife visits you at home for 6 weeks to do weighing and discuss concerns and then you are referred to Plunket.

Everything was free except parking at the hospital and part of one scan.

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 07:51:32 pm »
Materity stuff is free unless you want an elective C-section etc.

I am not sure about epidural though. I would think that it would be covered.

Most Kiwis I know do not have medical aid. Nor do I.

Lea

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 08:27:06 pm »
Materity stuff is free unless you want an elective C-section etc.

I am not sure about epidural though. I would think that it would be covered.

Most Kiwis I know do not have medical aid. Nor do I.

Yes it was free when I went in.  I got all pain relief I wanted.