Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Public Transport  (Read 4977 times)

tandl

Re: Public Transport
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 08:52:15 am »
Thanks Jaffa.

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 09:04:03 am »
I have used public transport all over the world, just love it.  O0

Get on the train or bus and enjoy the ride, no worries  8)

We are looking at the North Shore of Auckland, will really make a effort to use the bus service.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 09:04:03 am »

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 02:56:09 am »
Thanks for that Jafa, it takes 25 minutes to downtown Auckland from departure Half Moon Bay.

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 11:34:43 pm »
We have been here 6 months now, and still don't have a car. Yes, we use public transport.  O0

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 11:55:05 pm »
i lived in the UK for 3 years with no car but I honestly dont know how you do it in NZ......I am far too relient on my car!

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 04:32:24 am »
I havenever used public transport there is no such thing in my home town. I am told that Nikki can use the bus to get to school and am a little worried about it. Is it safe? Does she buy a season ticket or pay daily?
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 05:19:03 am »
yip, its safe. In NZ kids grow up and become independant at a young age. I have friends whose kids bike or walk to school (about 1.5km) from age 7. Kids catch buses. yes, you can get a seaon pass etc. Depends on company......and she will only pay student rates after getting student ID from school.

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 05:19:03 am »

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 05:25:36 am »
Dance, kids here Walk to school :o   Little ones of 9 or so deliver papers all time of the day.  It is not easy to imagine this life if you are not here and see it for yourself.  She will be fine on the bus. O0
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 05:38:49 am »
every now and again I panic when I see a 6/7 year old walking down the road.......and then I remember I am in NZ and that the kids will be OK.... :)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 03:39:39 am »
Hi, I am from SA and the public transport is not good here.  The car is also king here.  I currently drive to get to work and back, 2 hours in the moring and 2 hours in the afternoon back and forth.  Will it take the same amount of time to travel in peak traffic in NZ? :help:

Hi Tiger (btw, most of us are from SA!  ;) )

I don't even think with Auckland's "bad" traffic that it'd take you 2 hours from North Shore to City centre.  But I may be wrong?  I don't live there....

Here in Hamilton, a traffic jam means taking 30 minutes to get to work instead of 15.  It takes me 20 minutes to get from the north of the city to the very south of the city. (non peak hour) O0
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 03:52:56 am »
Unless you want to commute from Auckland to Hamilton and back you wont be spending 4 hours in the car each day. From the Shore to city centre in peak traffic (depending on where you are) is about 45 mins.....non-peak I can get from my house on the Shore to city centre in 12 minutes. The further north the longer it will take.

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 04:43:27 am »
Thanks Guys! She will have to bus. Kamo High is not zoned thank goodness so we are looking for a rental that is more central to both the school and Syd's work.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 04:43:27 am »

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 07:20:19 am »
I use the express bus from where I live in Torbay, to the bottom of Albert Street in Auckland city, and it takes about 40min.

If you drive to the Park n Ride at Albany for instance, and get the Northern Express (every 10min) to the City, it's about 30min.

There's no way in hell I'd drive into the city.

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 07:28:42 am »
I use the express bus from where I live in Torbay, to the bottom of Albert Street in Auckland city, and it takes about 40min.

If you drive to the Park n Ride at Albany for instance, and get the Northern Express (every 10min) to the City, it's about 30min.

There's no way in hell I'd drive into the city.

Rhodan, where do you catch the Express bus in Torbay?, I will be visiting friends in Torbay, Glamorgan Drive. I need to get to the CBD via bus.

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 07:34:12 am »
The 87 express runs every 20min in the morning's, down Glamorgan Drive, to the Albany Park and Ride, and then onto the city. This is the bus I use.

You can also get the 887 , which runs every 30min on week days (hourly on weekends) along the same route to Albany, where you can transfer to the Northern Express which runs every 10min.

More info, times and fares over at www.maxx.co.nz