Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Tax on rental income from SA  (Read 1229 times)

Offline alwyn

Tax on rental income from SA
« on: March 26, 2008, 05:18:31 pm »
Anyone know what the situation is regarding rental income from SA while working and living in NZ?

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Tax on rental income from SA
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 02:09:03 pm »
Hey there Alwyn,

As far as I know if you earn over R100 000 per annum you will get charged approximately 42% income tax on the amount of rent income you earn. So you if you are charging, for argument sake, R4,000 for a place you will have to pay R1,680 to SARS. Check out their website for more info.

Bloody rip off if you ask me   :tickedoff:

We pay so much money to this  >:( government and really see very little fruit.

I hope this info helps.

;)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 02:09:03 pm »

Offline alwyn

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 04:30:10 pm »
I assume that since one won't be classified as resident in SA you will be taxed in NZ on your SA rental income?  Or taxed as a non-resident whatever that means.

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:20:54 pm »
Once again in NZ you are taxed on your world wide income, if you are a NZ tax resident. However you will get a tax credit for tax paid in another country. Idealy if you have rental property in SA you should take steps to Pay SA tax or not, depending on your personal tax rate in NZ compared to SA.

This can become a complex issue and if you not 100% sure on what to do see a NZ Accountant to help sort it out. IF YOU LOOK THROUGH THE ADVERTISERS ON SITE I AM SURE YOU"LL FIND AN ACCOUNTING FIRM WITH SA CONNEXTIONS THAT YOU COULD TURN TO FOR ASSISTANCE. THEY ARE ONLY AN EMAIL AWAY