Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Flights  (Read 7906 times)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: Flights
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 08:13:47 pm »
It could be, but I doubt it. What if you are going over on a long term contract, but intend returning?

Offline Marilize

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 02:20:59 pm »
Hi all
Just a quick update on flights:

The IOM offers discounted direct flights to destination.  As a rule, the fewer stop-overs you have the more expensive the ticket.  We can get NZ via Hong Kong/Singapore/etc for about 23k (2 adults & 1 child), while direct (meaning only the unavoidable stopover in Oz) costs anything from 30k upwards. 

It seems that IOM might be able to get us Quantas via Sydney (the most direct flight available) for about 18K (including taxes).  So it saves you a bit of money and a lot of time and shlepp! 

We might delay our departure with a week or so to avoid high season - significant price difference!

Cathay Pacific is also not bad.  If you can't get better than IOM on www.expedia.com then IOM is your best bet.  (Don't get too excited, expedia rates are in US$ - cheapest we could get was about $1360 per person)

Marilize

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 02:20:59 pm »

Offline Marilize

Baggage
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 02:27:21 pm »
Forgot to add a little titbit - don't know if it's noted anywhere else but it's bloody useful to know so here goes just in case:

No single item of luggage may weigh more than 20kg, regardless of weight allowance.  So if you have a 40kg allowance, you need to take at least 2 suitcases weighing 20kg each.  If your cases are too heavy, they will ask you to repack them there and then - if a baggage handler tears a ligament picking up your too-heavy case the airline is accountable so they are pretty strict about that.
M

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 03:44:58 pm »
Quantas to Sydney for R18k sounds good to me. You don't want to fly in Oct though, prices are hectic.

20kg per bag rule is only for certain airports worldwide, as expected SA airports are included.

Offline Shirls

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 09:06:29 am »
Hi guys,

We are going over in May for a look see, our flights on Qantas are costing us
R12 100-00 each.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 12:35:57 pm »
Thanks Shirls, that price is return I presume.

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 05:53:12 pm »
Hi  I got this quote at Flight Centre in Pinetown.

Option 1:
Singapore Airlines
Low Season - anytime Sept/Oct/Nov
Dbn/JHB/Singapore/Auckland  (Jhb to Singapore 10hrs 25min) (Singapore to Auckland 9hrs 55)
Cost per adult with taxes  R7960.00
The travel agent also told us that stopovers in singapore are really cheap and you get loads of vouchers for everything eg bus, zoo, Sentosa Island.

Option 2:
Cathay Pacific
Low season valid Sept to Nov
Dbn/Jhb/Hong Kong/ Auckland
Cost per adult with taxes  R8830.00

Both quotes are one way only

Flights did go up on 31 March and at the time of this quote (19 March) she could not tell me what percntage they would go up by.

Kids pay full fare from age 11 up.

Would we qualify for IOM on these fares?

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 05:53:12 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 08:49:23 pm »
IOM is as good as a subsidized ticket booking service - for our purposes anyway - they will however only get you prices once you can show them your blue stickers (PR) though.

Once you have your blue stickers in your passports, get hold of IOM and let them organise you prices. Then you can compare and see which is cheapest.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 09:57:23 pm »
Their site doesn't seem to give me the info im looking for... will they do tickets FROM America?  And their country list doesn't include New Zealand.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 11:21:49 pm »
Colleen, IOM will help with tickets from USA as well, best to contact your local office direct.

Offline jeannel

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 03:09:43 am »
Hi all

My husband and I came over from South Africa with Emirates.  They are R12 000.00 return per adult.  We were quite happy with them.  You can go onto their web site at http://www.Emirates.com.
Hope it helps

Offline jeannel

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 03:12:05 am »
Oh yes - Emirates services the USA too  :)

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 03:12:05 am »

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 07:35:17 am »
Can anyone suggest a good travel agency in JHB to speak to with regards to flights ? I won't be able to use IOM, as I'll be flying over as a visitor. I'm told if I book about 10 months in advance, I'll get the flights much cheaper. However, looking online, the prices don't seem to be much cheaper than quotes I got from Flight Center in Menlyn.

How the hell does one book with Qantas, their website just takes you in a continual loop, all I can find is a number in JHB to call.

brad77

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 08:29:51 am »
I have done 2 trips to Aus and NZ, both times booked direct on website of Singapore Airlines and Emirates and I have ALWAYS got the cheapest flight. Both times I checked with at least 15 travel agents and could NOT get cheaper flights than the ones I had booked online.

I dont know why people use agents or immigration agencies. Do it yourself! You save loads.

brad77

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 08:30:52 am »
Qantas/SAA is a rip off. Fly Singapore and have a stopover.