Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: From Pta to Aukland  (Read 1120 times)

Offline louisedumee

From Pta to Aukland
« on: January 29, 2007, 06:58:55 am »
Thought I'd introduce myself and say hi.
My husband, son (3) and I will be moving to NZ Aukland in March 2007, and gathering from all the information posted on this website, I feel much better knowing that we have made the right decision. I still however feel quite lost and a bit scared as to what to expect - leaving one's comfort zone is quite scary. But we feel up to the challange and see it as an exiting new adventure. If anyone has some advise to offer on anything, it'll be appreciated.

Offline Marilize

Re: From Pta to Aukland
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 07:09:46 am »
Hi there
We're leaving in April (if all goes according to plan, that is...) Are you all sorted with PR/work visas? 
Marilize

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 07:09:46 am »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 09:04:00 am »
Hi Louise

Glad you found us. Yes it is quite daunting, but there is plenty of support available and heaps of SA'ns in NZ. If you just put in the effort to meet others that are going through the same process, or who have already made the move, then you will have it so much easier when you arrive as you have a support base.

Have you got jobs or just gone through the process? Where abouts in SA are you?

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 03:17:50 pm »
Hi Louise!
And welcome! 
Daunting it is, for sure!  I did the move from SA to USA 8 years ago, so know what it's like to leave behind good friends and family and plunge into the unknown.  Now we're on our way to NZ too, and I have to go through it all again!  BUT, as the others have said, there is a large amount of South Africans gone ahead of us, and I can promise you (because I've been to NZ for 3 weeks in 2003), that moving to NZ is a LOT easier, than moving to the USA!  The culture is much closer to SA, and at least you'll be able to find good ol' Mrs Ball's chutney on the racks, along with Milo, Jelly Tots and some other fav's.  So take heart!  You'll make it!  :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline louisedumee

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 12:17:06 pm »
Thanks guys for the welcoming. To answer some of your questions:

My husband and I don't have jobs as yet. We are going over on a permanent residence visa. My husband allready has an interview scheduled for 19 March with a recruitment agent in Auckland, he'll be leaving 2 weeks ahead of me. Once my son and I arrive, and we've settled in, I'll have to start looking for a suitable job, hopefully it will be easier to accommodate both working and having to pick up my son from daycare, than it is here.

We've also already made some contact with an estate agent in Auckland, that will help us look for accommodation (she's ex Cape Town), and she has also offered to assist as much as se can, especially with regards to available daycare (as I hear it's quite expensive).

We are currently situated in Pretoria Gauteng.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 12:36:49 pm »
We'll be holding thumbs for the job interview.

We are having a meetup for Gauteng folks on the 10th Feb if you would like to come. Just PM me and I'll get the details through to you.